1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Ogunjobi Visiting Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jun 21, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I live in a rural area

Last week I got out of my car to get the mail

I turned around and two of these guys were standing there looking to see if anything was for them

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Ok I'm 100% in on this trade. Love wild game turkey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I got a trade for Mason for them or bird shot.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I really like Wormley, I like his game, BUT I think Larry O may be a better run Stuffer.

I also feel the Larry signing puts Martravis Adams on the bubble. Unless they break their MO and keep 7 DL. It really depends on how healthy and ready to play Larry will be by game one. I believe he’ll be available week one But wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No .....I believe it was L.Greene who I was talking about. We signed Him, and I believe He only started about 1, or 2 games.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I had one as a pet, and He could tell if people were scared of Him.
    I had a buddy that was very afraid of Him, and every time he came over My Tom would start thumping, and chase Him around. LoL :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re thinking of Green and he passed his physical. He had a history of concussions and soon after signing he got lit up and that was the end of him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The really sad part was he showed flashes in the limited time he did see action and seemed to click with Ben. Blast do you remember the game day thread where he was finally playing and every defender was targeting his head? I know I made mention of it when it happened in the thread. I'm trying to remember wasn't his injury a lisfrac too? The concussions also being a concern but the major one was the ankle.

@S.T.D I remember playing Madden that year and they had him on the roster without the injury and he was insanely good. Caught everything I threw to him. You could hit a seam route and then break arm tackles and the guy had like Mike Wallace speed breaking away. I think I sent him to the probowl three years running.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I liked the signing but...Damn that's a lot of money for a little better than average player, who we don't know whether he is healthy or not yet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well the Bears wanted him... They signed him to a 3 year deal worth 13.5 million a season. They also gave him 26.35 million of that deal fully guaranteed. He failed a physical, so the best he was going to do was a one year deal. No team would invest multi-years after that. We know its the foot, but not really the extent of why he failed it.

Its a win-win. The Steelers get a good player who is hungry to cash in that big FA deal, and Ogunjobi gets to sign on with a team that has a lot of really good players around him so he can ball out and cash in on that big deal next year when he's (hopefully, for his sake) fully healthy.

We had the money to spend and a need at his position to be filled. If he's hurt and ineffective, no harm no foul. If he is healthy and plays well then its a huge home run. I can totally see why people are "cautiously optimistic". He's a good player on a one year incentive laden deal to see if we can be the benefactor of an unfortunate offseason situation for Larry. I don't see the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well he has 21.5 sacks and 41 TFL in his first 5 years. He had more than Tuitt did in each category during Stephon's first 5 years. Not really trying to say he's better than Tuitt or anything, but just saying. He also did better than Javon Hargrave in both categories in Gravediggers first 5 seasons too (I get they play slightly different positions, but still). Gravedigger and Tuitt are both much better than "slightly above average"... I think Ogunjobi is quite a bit better than just barely above average.

The health is obviously a concern, but its an incentive laden deal so he wont make all of it if he rides pine with injury for the majority of the season. The kid is going to be hungry to play well to try to earn that big deal he got from the Bears prior to failing the physical.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is very clear what Hampton has to do with the conversation. I didn't think I would have to spell it out for you, but I will. Hampton helps do demonstrate why it is foolish to lean so heavily on tackle statistics to evaluate a defensive lineman, specifically is ability in run defense. Hampton was a beast. He was a huge part of those teams' ability to stop the run despite the relative lack of tackles. Every Steelers' fan should know that.

I'm not treating Ogunjobi as a savior. I am looking at him as an upgrade over Wormley as the third starter up front. I don't hate on Wormley. I just realize he was a significant downgrade from Tuitt in run defense and he was a part of the problem in that area on defense last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is a better run defender than Wormley. I also think they have to break with their history and keep seven defensive linemen this season. Leave one inactive on game day, but they need to rotate in more bodies and keep three linemen on the field a hell of a lot more than they did last season. That is a key step in fixing the run defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought Green had another injury that kept him out the first half of the 2016 season. He actually looked great for a while, including a monster game against the Giants, then he took a big hit while making a big catch against the Bengals and never played again.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It really isn't. He would need to hit all of his incentives to make $8 million, which is still less than the average year per season he was going to get from the Bears before he failed his physical. Also, we may not know if he is healthy or not, but the Steelers likely do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

hampton played a different position. hampton helped the others be better. don't you think wormley would have been better with hampton? or even alualu playing next to him? i am not leaning on tackles heavily as you say, you are. i'm saying he has the same amount of sacks and more tackles then LO last season. that is without hampton or alualu, wouldn't you think that would get better with a good nose next to him? tuitt hasn't been relative for two years and he ain't coming back. just like we won't redraft leonard over edmunds. tuitt is now irrelevant, as is hampton or leonard. wormley has put on some weight which he needed. the arrow for him is pointing up. we don't really know how he or ogunjobi will be this year, just that their production numbers from last year are similar. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy who constantly brings up tackles wants to claim that I'm the one leaning heavily on tackles? At that point, you lose any tiny shred of credibility you had.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We sign a player that at minimum is quality depth and most likely a starter. Yet somehow it’s a negative?
    As far as his health I’ll trust that the Steelers did their due diligence before signing him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i bring up stats overall not just tackles. if you are the czar over credibility then i think i will still sleep ok at night. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In a previous part of the discussion, you used tackles as a measure of skill in run defense, which simply does not work. If this place was affecting your sleep no matter who disagreed with you, I would worry about you.

The point stands. You abandoned any credibility when you claimed I was the one relying to heavily on tackles. All I did was point out that Hampton's tackle statistics help to demonstrate why your claims regarding Wormley are so flawed.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am pretty sure this is the guy that reported JuJu signed with the Chiefs for $11 million.

Need to wait until the details come out to learn exactly how much.

I also think there is a chance he starts the season on the IR. The Bears had to see something in their X-Rays to scare them off.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    January 18th, 2022 I wonder when he took off the boot?
    upload_2022-6-24_17-57-20.png

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe surgery was in the 20th

• Like Like x 1