1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jun 16, 2022.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If you read the article that mac daddyo linked, it mentions explicitly that Tuitt counts for $4.9M dead money (just like the graphic you posted) and a 2022 cap space savings of a bit over $8M.
    I don't know why you felt the need to paste a large graphic of the dead money hit.
    (Remember that Tuitt's base salary is off the books, and his total dead money is being split over two years.)

"Without fitz new contract, no way should we be sitting at 20+."

Will you apologize for being wrong about that?
    Or at least support your claims with actual numbers for why you felt 20+ was wrong?

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    South Pittsburgh it is still yinzer. Or yinz for longtermers. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    How we did it in the Mon Valley was slightly different. Yinzers are generalized as the people living in WPA and yinz is the plural version of you. For example, the typical Pitt Panthers fan is definitely a yinzer... How are yinz doing today?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TY MJB. :smiley1::cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we didn't pay the whole draft class yet and even now we haven't. also how about haskins money coming off the books since his death? did you figure that in? a couple of cut players and we have only replaced 1. so no it wasn't just tuitt. :cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Why worry about cap space? Every year they are so pressed up against the wall with little cap space.

This year they have finally have some wiggle room even after signing Fitzpatrick.

And they don't have to restructure anyone!

But but they have to sign Kenny. Oh NO!

They will sign Boswell.

Johnson won't get signed. Wait and see. They can franchise him after the season and then negotiate.

So arguing about cap space is a joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    There was no delay, they had everyone on the numbers except avery, Joseph, draft class. Yet it clearly increased greatly over twice as much

9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    There nothing i said wrong there. Cap space was at 8 million without the draft class, hospital, Avery (and they didn't know about kazee coming to sign later). Yet it went up to 20+ million. And you can't tell me tuitts 4+ million did all.

10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's what I was trying to say before the draft. There's no need to worry on this stuff. And what over the cap post is made up numbers, until after the draft generally.

Furthermore we can move money with ease. We could take TJ money and turn it into a signing bonus, and without looking, I think that'll get us another 20 million.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You agreed with over the cap when it was at 8 million. Yet you think tuitts 4 million paid for most the draft class, avery, kazee, Joseph, and got us up to 20+ million. .

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Yet you're the one offended by someone saying y'all.

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think we're around 21/22m and that's factoring in the rookie deals. I think Chris Boswell is the next extension, and then we add a player or two after camp cuts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    What are you talking about?
    The dead money for Tuitt's retirement is completely unrelated to the cap savings.

As I mentioned earlier,
    "(Remember that Tuitt's base salary is off the books, and his total dead money is being split over two years.)"
    Tuitt's base salary was a lot more than $4M.
    And the dead money for next year was included in this year's cap hit, before the retirement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Seriously

That was nothing more than a smart assed comment if ever there was one

:drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  17. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Maybe this will help Mashburn.
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...elers-stephon-tuitt-nfl-retirement-salary-cap

His cap hit this year (before retirement) was $13.975 million.

After retirement, he still counts $4.9M in dead money against the cap.
    (That dead money still counts against the 2022 cap, so no change.)
    Another $4.9M counts as dead money in 2023, so cap space for 2022 increases.
    His base salary is gone, so cap space for 2022 increases.

"His retirement will give the Steelers $9.05 million in cap space..."
    That is how the available cap space went above $20M.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He doesn't know You well enough yet. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    It was brought up by @mac daddyo because he's saying that's how we got from 8 million to 20+, as well as how we got to pay for some of our drat picks, avery, Joseph, kazee.

20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    @MeanJoeBlue this entire thing started after myles jack was picked up. Which was the last big FA move we did. I was explaining how we get the honey badger, if we wanted. Mac and the others were quick to talk about over the cap has us at 8. So i tried explaining after a couple FA signings, over the cap, puts in assumptions and it's not correct until after some of the draft picks are signed.

Over the cap was at 8. Still had Joseph, avery to add. As well as draft picks..
    Yes tuit money helped, but it didn't help almost 20 million (due to we signed avery, Joseph, kazee, and some of the draft picks).

21. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Agreed i don't know y'all yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably good news and otherwise

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    at the time yes. JC buddy get a friggin grip. at the time avery's money hadn't been taken off yet. kazee's hadn't been eitherr. tuitt's 9 mil. came off the overall cap after that as well. now we got to split it in two years. haskins 1.5 came off or was added on plus a couple of other moves they made. i keep showing you but you can't seem to comprehend where the money is coming from. more money will be coming off the 20 million before it's over too. just wait on it. geeezzzus. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You don't understand. tuit only shows on over the cap of 4+. So if you're saying it's 9, then you must be thinking we have 25+ right now. Therefore, are you going to say they're wrong?

What you're showing is things from other websites. Just like I was doing back then. But to you over the cap back then was all ok, and as of this moment they're not ok to you. So make up your mind.

For me its easy. Which is over the cap and those other websites just give a very broad range. Specially when there's a couple free agents sign, and then it takes time for them to adjust.

25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Nice! I was wondering what it would end up being.

Maybe they are looking to trade for a decent player to pay. Or maybe they want to have that room there just in case and to roll over

• Like Like x 1