1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dionte Johnson Football Camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, May 24, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There is no huge hometown discount. The WR market went wild and these guys want to capitalize. I think many will find that particular market...the big payout is for the very few. Could be wrong but I just do not see WR commanding and setting new highs on salary like QBs. Oh they will command more no doubt, but how many WR are going to get 30 plus million? Of course the market will dictate, but as it has been stated..many more good WR coming out in the draft every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Prob got tired of all the negative comments abt him, and also heard how well Pickens was doing in OTA's

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Nope..... Hall monitor I'm prty sure that's all you!....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What great qb did the vikings have? And look at all the wrs they've drafted. That doesn't matter. Fitz and boldin where balling in AZ as rookies and they didn't have a qb until Warner.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very few Wrs in the NFL ball, or play well without Great Qbs. Period. I'd say about 3%.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    More than half of the top 20 wrs of all time played without a great qb. If you're that guy you can ball without a great qb.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So half of the top 20 all time in the history of the NFL compared with all the Wrs that have played....would be less than 3%. Thank You for making My point. :thumbs_up:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The hometown discount will certainly be larger now than it will be after the season. DJ's numbers have gone up every single year. Whatever he is worth now will be that much higher going into 2023.

You can't just keep drafting receivers. As those guys get good they will want paid too.

9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not disagree. You cannot keep them all, but if you make no effort to keep guys who have proved themselves you risk losing credibility with the team.

I'm torn on DJ honestly. I do like him, but is he that guy that go to steps up and carries the team when that moment comes. Those ridiculous AB moments in a 4th quarter drive you did not think could happen, but did. To be fair our Qbs the last few years did not provide that many opportunities for this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just think of how young Johnson is, and how far he has come over the last 3 years. Not many can hold up to the AB standard, but I think Johnson has a real chance to be an elite player. I have no idea what kind of $ number Johnson is looking for. But if the Steelers do not get a deal done this year, they may not be able to afford DJ in 23.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t confuse him with facts from board members

He only believes pundits

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A wide receiver is involved in what 8 catches a game on average for a good one

That’s about 10% of the plays and a good defensive game plan can take your best receiver away if he’s the best offensive player

Hoodie does it regularly

The cap is about $208MM

Half of that for offense is $104

The QB eats a big chunk of that

A WR is worth about $7-8MM

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And what about receivers that played with great qbs but were just average? What are they? It goes both ways. Also everyone isn't going to be great. We were strictly talking about receivers that turned out to be good.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This exactly. You spend money on the players that are hard 2 get, and draft ....not on players that every year a group of great ones come out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wouldn't that make Tight Ends the highest paid Player on offense? Every year you may get 1 and only 1 tight end that is worthy of a 1st round grade.. In the 2022 draft I don't think there was a 1st round TE selected.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Except when they are not. You get those all star WRs that can just totally take a team on their back and win despite everything around them. Just throw me the damn ball and I will win this game for you.

I saw Cooper Kupp do this last year in the LA vs TB playoff game. 27-27 tie game. LA comes out on 1st down and it is a sack. Everyone is now assuming the game is going to overtime, except one player....

Then Cooper steps up and tells everyone to just throw me the damn ball. 35 seconds left to play in the game with no timeouts and ball on the Rams 24. 2 Cooper Kupp catches later it is a short FG to win the game. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to be thrown to Kupp, but he didn't care. He went out there and just imposed his will on the entire defense, setting the Rams up for the game winning FG.

How do you put a price on that? You can triple team him if you want, but the WR is going to go get that ball and there ain't a damn thing the defense can do about it. I remember when AB used to do that. It is probably one of the few positions in football that a player can get "Hot". Get his MoJo working.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The cap isn't broke down into a 50/50 ratio to say ok offense you get this and defense you get that. Of course certain percentages for a some positions like qb are pre accounted for when you have an elite one but it doesn't work that way. It's about what elite guys at their position get. Like the rams. I'm sure their ratio is all over the place but they have a good 4 guys that are all either the best or elite at their positions so they have to pay them as such.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's arguably every position except for qb..

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No Cbs also. Not a lot of great CBs. Look around.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It would be if everyone used the TE....in every offense, or offensive strategy. You know there are some teams....that hardly use a TE.
    I'm talking about a player....like a CB.....not many good ones come out, but there is not a team in the league that doesn't use one on every defense.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ummm....let's say that's....let's see....:hmm: Lamar Jackson passing the ball 2 Kupp....how much do You think Kupp would matter then???

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is funny; I have always compared the TE in football to the Knight in chess.

You can tell the good coaches from the bad ones by watching how much they get them involved in the offense. Some coaches will treat their TEs like lineman, and some players will treat their Knights like Pawns.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I see McLaurin is holding out of mini camp looking for a new deal. I think DJ has similar stats..not comparing styles but interesting to see what he gets if they offer him a new contract.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean how many of the top drafted CBs suck? Very few. Much harder to draft a qb then a cb

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Like Artie Burns?