1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown wants to retire a Steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 16, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree on number 1

Regarding number 2 I have traveled extensively business and pleasure

I have a couple hats and a few T Shirts from much of the Caribbean

Wearing a brand new hat that says Cancun while you are in Cancun is idiotic

Of course we know you went there you are there now

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Sh!t, I'm "that" guy. I bought a hat in Florida that I wore on a fishing charter. Didn't say Florida though, does that count?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Andre Reed was a good player but he Maybe was what the like 5th best guy of the Era? He's not AB nor T.O.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The good news is any news or interest about AB will quickly go away

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wear tee of the band I'm going 2 see, but from a different concert, and I only buy shirts from the bands I see live, and only get the ones with the dates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At one point before he retired he was 2nd on the career receptions list behind only Jerry Rice. He is 18th now but it took 8 years to clear the log jam and induct him without the off field issues and piss poor attitude and well before social media. I think the Hall voters will look at TO's attitude and mercenary behavior and keep him waiting. Brown's numbers for a 5 to 6 year stretch are nothing short of outstanding and as you pointed out if that was all they looked at then first ballot all the way, however how he ended his career will loom large in voters minds because they are very much traditionalists. It could be a few years wait on him too.

Btw as a life long Pirates fan I have to say you are wrong about Bonds, he wasn't HOF in Pittsburgh. Bonds and Bonilla all but disappeared in the 91 and 92 NLCS. He didn't become the homerun machine until he became a Giant and his lotion was mysteriously tainted with substances he had no knowledge of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As with all of this, it depends on who you ask!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's the difference though. AB and T.O at their primes were arguably the best in the world. Reed was never in that convo. He's never been first team all pro nor did he ever lead the nfl in any receiving category in a season. It was nice that he was second in catches but that was his biggest claim to fame and hall of fame isn't always about total numbers. Megatron isn't top 5 in any wr category but was first ballot cause he was dominant in his time. I don't look at Reed as dominant. Just very good for a long time.

Now to Barry. He was a 3x mvp, 8x time gold glove, 6x silver slugger, 7xall star, led league in home runs and rbis in 93, etc.. before he allegedly used steroids in what like 99? He was definitely a hof before that he was a 5 tool player who could do it all not just a home run hitter like sosa or mcgwire.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nothing alleged about it. Did you ever see him play? No, of course not. I don't know anything about his early career but, after he started the 'roids, I'd see the Giants play here in San Diego from time to time. If the ball wasn't hit directly to him, he didn't even try to catch it. No hustle at all.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At some point you need to develop a Bible for what stats you deem as important and then ask TTF to sticky it at the top of the board. Just so we can avoid these conversations and spend time shouting at the rain over more important things like whether someone can be considered a number 1 receiver if they play in the slot and get fewer targets or why we never see Mike Tomlin and Omar Epps in the same place at the same time. Really don't want to waste the time we could be talking about block numbers, cheerleaders and whether or not Jesse caught the ball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It is alleged considering he never failed a test. And yes I saw Barry bonds play. I've only seen highlights from Pittsburgh but I've actually saw full games in San Fran. I think he fell victim to the home run chase between Mark and Sosa and that caused him to not care about anything but home runs as that's what everyone paid attention to. So he started just focusing on that. Plus he also was older.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He wasn't better than Jerry Rice. NO matter who you ask. He wasn't better than CC, Michael Irvin, or sterling sharpe. He's tie for 5 with Tim brown.

Also idk how it depends on who you ask. He never made first team all pro and the others I mentioned did. He wasn't on the all decade team and everyone I mentioned was except Sterling sharpe. And other than sharpe due to a shortened career thanks to an injury, it took him far longer to make the hall of fame than the others. All that happened for a reason.

13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Same rules apply when making a battle vest. Only patches from bands you've seen live.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're either lying about your age or, you saw him play the same way I saw Koufax pitch. When I was 5 years old!

• Like Like x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Obviously. None of this is fact. I've met people who despise Rice and would never give him credit for anything good. I'm sure there are people in Buffalo who would rate Reed #1. Who think Kelly is better than Montana, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Apologies for dragging out the tangent, but Bonds was on his way to the Hall of Fame by the time he left the Pirates. He had just won his second MVP award in three seasons and he was robbed in 1991. He was the best player in the National League, second only to Griffey in all of baseball. He was an on-base machine who had just led the league in OPS three consecutive seasons. He was also fantastic defender and base stealer. He stole 52 in 1990, 43 in '91, and 39 in '92. Yeah, he did suck in the playoffs, but that wasn't going to keep him out of the Hall of Fame given the trajectory he was on.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe he watched old game films the way he watched Deion Sanders. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This is bringing back fond memories of my childhood. I got to see a handful of Pirates games at 3 Rivers as a kid. I loved Bonds, but Griffey Jr. was my favorite player; I even used his batting stance as a kid. Bond was definitely going to be a HOF player, without roids. It wasn't until around the time I graduated HS in 01 that I truly just gave up on the Pirates and their "5-Year" plans.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I gave up after the '92 season. I still followed the team for a little while after that, but I just couldn't bring myself to care when they lost. They put together a fantastic team in 1990. They had already been bleeding talent, such as Bobby Bonilla and John Smiley, by '92. We all pretty much knew '92 was the end, because it was clear that Bonds and Drabek were both going to leave as free agents. It was clear that the system was not fair to small markets and the Pirates simply weren't going to try to overcome that. I didn't know it was going to be 20 years before they had another playoff team, but if you had told me in 1992 that it was going to happen, I wouldn't have been surprised.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He retired in 07. And yes I remember even from a young age. I have a sharpe memory.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So then nobody is good. There's someone who despises everyone using that logic.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No wonder you like Shannon so much.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't be a dope and pretend you don't know what people are talking about. Who YOU think is good, quite often, is not who I think is good, or who Fulano thinks is good....... No one is either right or wrong. They're opinions. You know that, you just want to be obstinate. Glad I'm not a professor!

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't you claim to be a college football player? Wouldn't that put you around 20 years old? That means you were five or six when Bonds played his final season, and he was an injury-prone shell of his former self by then, his athleticism mostly gone. His last really great season was 2004. Unless you are lying about your age, you would have been a toddler.

You are lying about something, either your age or how much you have seen of Bonds. Which is it?

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I never claimed to currently be 20 years old.