1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rod Woodson Named 9th Best All Time Defensive Player by CBS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 10, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Would he be as great without the ability to molest wrs down the field? This Era the rules plays against defenders. Not for the benefit to defenders.

2. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean cause what he was doing isn't what most would call great coverage. There's allt of dbs that would be great if they were able to hold and grab all the way down the field.

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yes I am.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do know everyone was playing with the same freaking rules correct??? Yet He was still great ....even when they changed the rules .

That be like saying ....well all the Qbs today would be good if they could read defenses, or all edge rushers would be great if they could get past the OL, and sack the Qb. LoL. :shrug:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Can't be wrong on an opinion. They're opinions, not facts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    He played after the rule change nd was just as dominant.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are displaying your usual ignorance on this thread. That was the funny part of the Blount rule. The Steelers adapted by relying more heavily on their Hall of Fame quarterback and his two Hall of Fame receivers, and Mel Blount was still dominant, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They are all laughing at this list and you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LMAO

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You seem to like the CBS list. Of course, you do. It has Sanders too high. What you are ignoring is that it was most likely put together by a bunch of what you would call pencil pushers. I see that it infuriates you when somebody refers to you as one, but really, it is quite lame as insults go.

One of the many differences between you and me is that I am able to think critically about things like this. That is how I see the list for the meaningless clickbait that it is. Students who plagiarize tend to struggle with critical thinking. Rather than processing, analyzing, and interpreting information, they just steal it without even trying to understand it. That leaves them inexperienced in critically thinking about what they read.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You really mentioned Ray Lewis and Brister in the same sentence :facepalm:, plenty of players are average in their later years, look at Peyton Manning winning a Super Bowl with Denver.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, Donald didn't deserve that DPOY award in 2020, we all know TJ was robbed :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Interesting thought

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just pointing out that having rings doesn't make you great. I'll be gracious and give Lewis 5-6 great years. After that, I think, he rode on other people's coattails. Doesn't diminish his dominant years anymore than Manning's or Seau's. They're all in the HOF. I just believe that guys like Lewis and Seau get credit for being better than they were.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Kid, I'm not even going to waste my time on this one much. Simply because Lewis got to play with new rules that helped player safety. Which is what helped him with playing a third longer.

Lambert went to the probowl 9 times out of 11.
    Lewis went 13 out of 17.
    Lambert gets the edge. Lambert has a better percentage of going to the pro bowl.

I'm in no way saying Lewis sucked. Buddy was great. But he was not the greatest. If you were to give any coach 2 of the following 3 players in their prime (dick, Jack, Ray), every time they would pick dick and Jack over Ray.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I used to hate this guy. But I actually really like him now. He is one of if not the greatest leaders of on the Football Field. He is one heck of a leader off the field as well. The guy is inspirational to listen too. All that aside he was a tone setter on the defense. He was an absolute beast against the run. He willed that team to so many wins through the years. The year they won the Super Bowl with Woodson on the team they were a dominant Defense. Forget he is a Raven for second and look at him objectively.

17. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Absolutely no disrespect intended, but nothing in your post adds up to him being one of the ten greatest defensive players of all time. And, "He willed that team to so many wins through the years.", stop it.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So making more pro bowls is what proves who's better? Who has more first team all pros? Ray. Who has more dpoy? Ray. Who was the without a doubt best player on a team that won the sb that was led by arhuably the greatest defense of all time and a sub par qb on offense and not a mvp and hall of famer at qb? Ray. Who's the better leader? Ray. And just period ultimately who's better? Ray has better numbers and was the better player. Bigger, stronger, faster.

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They're nobodies. Like you

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why you do you keep mentioning your assessments as if they matter lol? Who are you? What great accomplishment have you done in the sports world for you to think I care about anything you say?

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's different. I'm not saying he wasn't great i respect his game and his time. I just don't think had he played in different Era he'd be as dominant which is something you have to consider when comparing guys all time. Jim brown is another example. Great as he was the league wasn't fully segregated when he played and he was faster then majority of the people. Had he played now where the defenders are just as big, strong, and as fast as him he wouldn't be as dominant if you ask me.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Who was the best wr of the 70s Era?

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Probably Drew Pearson. Too bad he played for the Cowboys!
    Lynn Swann
    Belitnikoff

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Says the guy who keeps plagiarizing the work of others in a desperate attempt to impress this board full of so-called nobodies.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Better question. What would the elite receivers of the '70s have done with the liberal, offense-friendly rules of today?

• Winner Winner x 2