1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

No reason to have him sit unnecessarily either. Pickets turns 24 tomorrow. Some context:

- 5 QBs were taken in Round #1 of the 2021 draft, Pickett is older than all of them
    - 4 QBs were taken in Round #1 of the 2020 draft, Pickett is older than Jordan Love, 2-3 months younger than Tua and Herbert and a year and a half younger than Burrow.

If Pickett was drafted as an NFL ready QB, having him sit and watch just wastes time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Has anybody seen this reported by anyone else? All I’ve been hearing is about how great Picket has looked in OTAs, confident, in control and the receivers were raving about his lively arm. Not sure I’d put much stock in what Moats has to say about it unless there is corroboration elsewhere. Sometimes people with a podcast feel like they have to be a little edgy and provocative. So what, maybe Pickett threw a bad pass or two and all of a sudden it’s “inconsistency because of his small hands”. Are we going to have to put up with crap like this by second rate analysts all season? :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Arthur is a regular on local sports radio and seems legit. Why are you dismissing him as “second rate analyst”.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, that is exactly the point of OTA's, to get players used to the little differences.

There you go presenting that false argument again. If they had taken him 32nd overall, you might have a point. Instead, you are still just mad that they passed on your guy and they were absolutely right to do so.

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    So this is what Moats said…

Talking about Pickett, he said, “I think that Kenny has a pretty spiral, when he throws his spiral, he has one of the prettiest spirals out there, but it’s the consistency with it.” Moats further said, “I laugh to myself because I get when people bring up the hand part, because you can tell at times, not that it’s going to affect him where we are all going to be feeling it.”

He added, “But when you are watching him in a drill setting where your throwing 10 passes back-to-back, after I saw that guy throw 10 and I am looking out how their spiral comes out, the pop on their arm and just the consistency with it. Whereas with Kenny, if he threw 10, 7 of them are on the money, but then he’s gonna have three where I’m like, ‘is that because of the hand size?’ ‘It’s kind of floppy,’ ‘is the ball too big for him?’”

Good gosh…so do you think Trubisky and Rudolph threw tight spirals 10 out of 10 times? Ben had huge hands and he threw some Billy Kilmer-esque passes at times. Come on Moats, don’t pile on and conjure something up that isn’t there. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t consider him a quarterback expert and I think he’s doing nothing more than piling on. Oh look at that pass, it wasn’t a tight spiral it must be because of his hand size. That’s the talking point of the day so might as well go with it. Maybe second rate analyst was harsh and Moats seems like a nice guy, but he’s just spouting his opinion like hundreds of other analysts who get paid to talk and instead of coming up with a unique perspective they simply pick the low hanging fruit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So Moats has no idea what is causing the occasional poor throw. He's just assuming a few balls came out of his hands poorly because of the small hands.

Looks like a few folks here saw a nothingburger and gobbled it up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know you don’t like plagiarism but I’m stealing this for future use.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL there is zero reason for that to affect him, all he is doing right now is what he has down his whole life, throw a football. Accuracy isn’t a weakness of Picketts so perhaps there is something to what Moats is saying.

I’ll be mad about Willis if he turns out to be a better QB. I havent given him a second thought since the draft. He lives in your head though. I don’t know exactly what you think you are proving anyway, my argument is that Willis is the better QB and the one they should have taken. Going to have to wait to find out if that’s true or not.

The biggest reason to be optimistic about Pickett is his processing. But one could also argue thats why his age comes into question, was it just because he had been playing college ball for so long and older than everyone else or did really develop that part of his game that much. I’d feel a lot better about him if he had that kind of production his whole college career.

Then there is his second level throws which he will need to put more on the ball in the pros and of course his hand size and his wonky thumb which you want to pretend shouldn’t be an area of concern.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because people want Pickett to be the guy and any criticism be damned! Feel bad for Trubisky, anytime he throws an incomplete pass fans will be calling for Pickett. Yikes.

I don’t agree with everything Moats says but I don’t find him to try and sensationalize anything. Seems honest to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because He does say some off the wall $hit.
    I think He's pissed we didn't get the running back wannabe Qb from liberty. He was high on Him. I've heard Him say some stuff I've just shook My head at before.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Pickett has to PROVE that he is the guy. My issue with what Moats said is that he’s automatically jumping to small hand size when Pickett doesn’t throw a perfectly tight spiral. Come on, Moats, that’s too easy. And you feel bad for Trubisky but what about Pickett? Every time he throws a less than perfect pass we’re going to hear that it must be because of those small hands of his.

I forgot about that but you are correct. I remember now how Moats wanted Willis over every other quarterback in the draft so there could be some bias in some of his comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't take credit for nothingburger. I thought it was a fairly common term on message boards. I've seen it on other boards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have posted about Willis quite a bit since the draft, but sure, you haven't given him a second thought.

Your argument was that the Steelers should have taken Willis in the first round. That argument was proven to be wrong when he fell to the third round.

My argument was that the Steelers should pass on Willis in the first round. I was proven right when he fell to the third round. I never said they should take Pickett. I was happy they chose Pickett over Willis, but I've written repeatedly that I would have preferred Dax Hill or Linderbaum.

A bigger ball is a difference. Just being out there with pros is a difference.

I never said we should pretend there aren't questions about Pickett. He wouldn't have lasted to No. 20 if he was a perfect prospect. Hell, there were questions about Burrow and he went No. 1 overall.

Go back and look at Burrow the year before his Heisman Trophy season at LSU. He looked a hell of a lot like the version of Pickett we saw at Pitt before the 2021 season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was with you until you compared Pickett to Burrow. That's gold right there man. LMAO.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

Come on guys. Yinz are really nitpicking what Moats really said. He did say what was previously quoted. But he also mentioned drill work compared to 11 vs 11 and he did say that Pickett will improve with more drill work via reps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of the same questions brought up about Pickett were raised about Burrow after his dominant final season at LSU. He hadn't been great before that season, either, and that worked out okay.

No, Pickett is not Burrow, but the latter helps demonstrate how one question about the former is being overblown. What is laughable is you not understanding why the example of Burrow's success applies here.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Flagrantly lie. You keep bringing it up so naturally I respond but I’m not out there talking about him on my own. He wasn’t drafted by us, Pickett was and that’s my focus.

Childish and stupid. Nothing was proven until we see how these guys play on the field.

Laughable and not good if it is the bigger ball, are his hands going to grow? Thanks for confirming this could be a problem for him.

:lolol:

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s just something to watch and those questions will persist until he proves it’s not an issue for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I realize that. I'm just pointing out that Moats had a lot more to say about that issue. His footwork has always been my issue with him, especially when he drops back. That was the root of his INTs I'm college. He throws off his back foot, a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your claim that I lied is false. I never said you brought up Willis on your own a lot since the draft, but you have posted about him quite a bit. My statement was accurate. Yours was not.

What is childish is labelling an argument stupid just because you can't refute it, which is what you just did. My primary argument was that the Steelers should not draft Willis in the first round. That has been proven correct because he fell to the third round. Taking him in the first would have been a mistake when they could have had him so much later.

Your last statement is also inaccurate. Getting used to a different ball may take a few days. That doesn't mean it is going to be a problem for him long term, but keep making stuff up.

I'm glad you find your statements being proven false entertaining. Some people might be embarrassed by it, but you keep that smile on your face.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can someone direct me to the page where we keep the stats for all of @Formerscribe wins. There has to be a trophy or some type of an award for this right?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-6-6_11-4-31.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When Ben would throw iff his back foot you knew it was going to sail and be an interception

If he stepped into it you knew it was going to be a bullet and a completion

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Got it, thanks for your input.

• Like Like x 2