1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwayne Haskins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelrules, Apr 9, 2022.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Of course. Who said they were accountable? If that's what you got from my post then I wasn't clear about my point. That is not at all what I was saying.

You think he was the only guy down there partying and doing ketamine? All the guys on our team that hung out with him, practiced with him, and claimed to be very good buddies with him had no idea he was living this life style? You really think? I don't. I don't know who was all in his circle but It's probably safe to say some of them were in Florida with him. You would think the coaching staff and players would have a good feel about the character of our QB's. Yet he was still on the team after plenty of red flags and was told he would have a shot leading this team. That IMO is indicative of a larger problem that is probably part of the reason we haven't won in the post season for the last 10+ years.

If substance abuse was this guys problem then curious to know what the team was doing to help him ? Did they know about this? Or were they just ignoring it like they have with other character issues we have seen on Tomlin's teams over the past 10 years?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I think you're a bit naive. I wasn't blaming Tomlin or his teammates for his behavior. No where did I say it was there fault for his behavior or his death.

I blame them from tolerating the behavior, ignoring it, or what ever is going on that allows a player that many were best buddies with - to be using Ketamine and still be inline to run our offense. If you think this was his first time using hard core drugs or you think his friends and colleagues had no idea he had this behavior then you're laughably naive. Guys in their 20's know what what their buddies are doing. And if they're hanging with him then odds are they probably partake in the same behavior. I was in my 20's not so long ago and I have kids. I mean come on. Anyway it's just ANOTHER of many examples of the steelers having character issues that create bigger problems. How many times do we need to see this type of issue before you say "Houston we have a problem"?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe MT is trying to help these guys with their issues and was all over it but this was an unfortunate run away train he couldn't help? After watching the many players leave due to drugs, ego, and mental issues you have to ask why are we dealing with this more than most teams? Or at least most GOOD teams. The conversation week in and week out is typically wow this team seems un prepared and sloppy on Sunday. Well if we don't care about character and we tolerate disruptive behavior then we shouldn't be surprised by the outcome. I personally think this is a big reason why we are no longer a successful franchise. Can't argue with the results in the post season w/ a HOF QB and talent all over the field.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess my biggest questions are about what is up with the girl in the car with him?

Yeah, I know it is none of my business, but it said she was unconscious or something like that?

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That sure read like you were holding Tomlin responsible for enabling him.

Talk about naive. These guys say nice things about him after he died and you actually think that means they were best buddies, so much so that if he used a drug, they must be using it, too?

You think there is a team in the NFL that doesn't have any players with a drug problem? Wow. That is you being laughably naive.

Where did I imply that it was his first time using hardcore drugs? Nowhere. You made that up.

Your claim that other Steelers must be using drugs just because he did is laughably stupid.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m guessing this will eventually be a Hallmark Movie with his wife and parents.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I’m wondering what Rivera knew in DC about Haskins’ lifestyle, I’m betting he knew something. These teams talk, I’m guessing Steelers knew what was up too.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe they did know. And maybe Haskins compartmentalized that area of his life like so many drug users do. He obviously separated from his teammates to party with his cousin at South Beach. I agree that it is a bit disconcerting that Tomlin gave the guy a new lease on life and he basically blew it and it does make you wonder if he actually was working to change his ways or if all we were hearing was lip service. I will say this…people with an addictive and compulsive personality will go to great lengths to try to hide their behavior from others. But be sure…your sins will find you out and Haskins sins sadly cost him his life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    So every team has issues with players using hard core drugs...not just the steelers. BUT also Haskins is the only guy on our team using Ketamine? lol Ok.

A player that by all accounts is very popular on this team.... has had red flags going back to college that his focus was not on football and has serious issues. We now know just how bad his issues were. After getting cut by the team that just took him in the 1st round we grab him and claim he's all grown up. Turns out that wasn't exactly the truth. If you think it's a stretch to think the guys in his circle are probably doing the same things he's doing, I'd say it is you that is naive. I double most serious pro athletes focused on winning spend a lot of time partying with dudes doing ketamine. If he wasn't known as a popular player with the young guys maybe you could say "well he was a loner, no one knew he was doing this stuff".

This is not the only guy on this team that has run into trouble partying. This team has talent but has been the most inconsistent team in the league. We usually look unprepared. Sloppy and un focused. It's no secret the team has maturity issues. Tomlin has had a problem with immature and selfish behavior on this team for a long time. This is probably the most tragic of the issues we have seen so far but the stench that permeates this team has been around a while. Crap results on Sunday just supports the evidence Haskins probably isn't the only guy on this team behaving this way. Point being it is on the head coach to know the character of their players and instill some discipline. You see this with well coaches teams. It's not a coincidence that you don't see this stuff pop up every year on Bellicheat's teams.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn’t with his teammates that night, if he were he’d probably be alive right now. It’s ridiculous to claim they all are doing the same thing right along with Haskins. Tomlin threw Haskins a lifeline, it was as much about that as it was trying to salvage his QB career. It’s really ridiculous the lengths some of you go to villainize Tomlin. He tries to get a young man on the right path and it’s somehow his fault Haskins is the way he is, wtf logic is that.

Every single team has players who are immature or party too much, they all have their own locker room problems.

Everyone uses Bellicheck as a measuring stick but the last time I checked, Tomlin never had a player murder someone.

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Just a player who supported that murderer. Rutroh

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    ;)

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just a couple who murdered their own careers.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Great avatar

• Like Like x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    as is yours!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    People said nice things about him, mostly after he died. That doesn't mean they were all close friends of his. It isn't just a stretch to claim that his teammates were also using drugs because he did. It is pure fiction, driving by your desperation to attack Tomlin. You don't know anything about how much time they spent together away from the team. You are just making things up to try to support a ridiculous narrative.

Nothing you presented comes close to supporting your ridiculous claim. One individual drug user on a team doesn't mean all or even any of his teammates are using. Based on your logic, every team in the league has 20 or 30 guys using hardcore drugs. That's how stupid your argument is.

17. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    There’s a pile of examples of Tomlin’s teams acting like undisciplined self centered jerks . The guy was with a bunch of players and its well documented that he was close to many on this team. How or why did no one sound the alarm ? We are taking about a guy that supposedly had a shot to be our starting QB. This is just one more example of many ….add it all to the fact that the team cant consistently do anything…. Let alone win in the postseason.

Disorganized, undisciplined, selfish, and unprepared are also qualities that we see year and and year out. But sure pretend there’s no evidence of a bigger issue. Dude got killed all f’ed up while he was supposed to be working with teammates …. The guy possibly to lead this offense. Its all good in Pittsburgh.

Maybe compare the evidence ? over the past 10 years is Tomlin running a tight ship vs its a total mess. Where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Right! Because he was a model citizen in Washington! Never a problem until he got around that Tomlin.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's very sad that this young man seemed to be on a path of self-destruction that he obviously needed outside professional help to conquer. If the league felt there was some sort of culture within the Steelers' organization, I fully believe there would be a full-blown investigation. There is nothing to see there other than a guy whose professional career was marred by a series of poor choices that ultimately lead to his unfortunate death. Sort of reminds me of Joe Gilliam.

I've been prescribed Vicodin twice. Once for a dental procedure then once when for surgery to put in my defibrillator. I took one each time to help me sleep after I got home. Especially after the surgery. That bed at West Penn Hospital was miserable. I took another one the next day. The balance of both prescriptions was flushed. They did help me rest, but I didn't really care for how they made me feel afterward. Tried weed a handful of times when I was a kid. Didn't particularly care for that, either. Give me a beer and I'm happy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And obviously Tomlin has control of 80 young people every moment of their lives

That makes sense

• Like Like x 3
  21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    A large part of being a professional athlete is discipline and self-control. The reason Dwayne Haskins was given a second chance with Pittsburgh (at a league minimum salary) was that the Steelers were hoping that Haskins would mature. I'm sure he said all the right things and apparently the Steelers saw enough of him that they believed he deserved to be brought back. An NFL head coach is not a parent of juvenile children. When athletes make poor personal decisions on their own time, there isn't whole hell of lot an organization can other than fine, suspend or outright release the player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Joe Gilliam was the same kinda deal.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    most players have character issues and are crazy

24. BluegrassSteel

BluegrassSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2022
  25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My gut is telling me it’s less “interesting” and just more indicative of our litigious money grab culture hoping that someone who has no fault in the matter would rather cut legal financial losses and pay some lesser settlement to just move on. Be it an insurance company, the trucking company, or the Steelers organization. Hopefully not any of his fellow teammates.

The ONLY think that would or should have a real concrete legal standing is if they maybe found some drug dealer or person who supplied the *possible ketamine. Maybe even some bar or nightclub for serving too much alcohol or suppressed video evidence/liability of alcohol and/or drug distribution.

But it screams of a money grab.

• Like Like x 1