1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What makes you say that? He actually has a lot more experience than Burrow did coming out of college.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed. I will be secretly rooting for Mason this preseason, just to screw with Stephen A Smith.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then you will be rooting for the Steelers to be bad. Something has gone very wrong if Rudolph is the starting quarterback this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Rudolph is on the team I can’t see him being anything other than 3rd string. He may be showing some athleticism but he is still the least athletic and least talented of the three.

While Trubisky is on his 3rd team his departure from Buffalo was through no fault of his own, there simply was no path to starting there. From what players and coaches have said there, they certainly feel he is a capable starter.

5. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    I'm like coaches are here, in that I want the guy who gives them the best chance to win to be the guy on the field. I'm NOT like the guy who wrote an article I read the other day that, I must confess, made me laugh a little. He said that Rudolph was the MVP of OTAs for several reasons, some of which were the following.

He's single, and according to the author can attract the babes.
    According to the author he's a great dresser, especially his hats.
    According to the author he's a hilarious funny-man.

All of these being things the author thought made him a guy his teammates would rally around.

Whether there were other more football-y reasons the guy had for claiming Rudolph to be OTAs MVP, those were the main things he actually put in the article.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why? If Rudolph lights it up and completely dominates this preseason, say 6 TDs and 0 Ints and WINS the starting job, because of his dominate play why would this be something gone wrong?

I think there is a 2% chance of this happening...

Stephen A Smith : I'd say more like one out of a million.
    Mason Rudolph : [long pause while he processes what he's heard] So you're telling me there's a chance.
    YEAH!
    upload_2022-6-3_10-4-54.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who is he doing that against in preseason? Is that against starters or guys who will be unemployed by the time the season starts? I'm guessing most of his snaps will come against the latter.

A few series in preseason do not trump what we have seen from him for years. He's not good. He is a decent backup and a lousy starter. Trubisky had his struggles, but he has still shown a lot more as a pro. Pickett has a hell of a lot more upside. This team isn't good enough to compete with a scrub like Rudolph taking the snaps.

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Back in 04 I was in the Navy and the media/bloggers really didn't have a huge presence on social media at the time. My only go-to for Steelers at that time was ESPN or Pittsburgh newspapers online. I recall after the fact that Ben only moved up to backup was because of Batch's injury.

As for Pickett. I wouldn't be upset if he entered the season #3. It wouldn't surprise me if he saw the field anyways and ended up #1 after the bye. I don't want to rush him, nor would I want to redshirt him either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok

I’ve had more conversations with you than Bill Cowher “the head coach” so I’ll go with you.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m just looking at from a history standpoint and how teams handle draft capital. A draft pick that high during the 70’s I could see being a number 3 but not in the modern era. JMO.

Maybe Bill meant it or maybe it was coach speak. We’ll never know. I’m a firm believer that if you have it, the coaches will be aware of that very quickly. I’m sure by the time camp broke they knew Ben was going to be big time.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Point noted

Next time I have a beer with Bill I’ll ask for clarification

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They could have known he was big time, but also thought he could use a little more time to learn before throwing him out there. Hell, we know now that he had some growing up to do. Maybe Cowher saw it then.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You will call Him right this moment, and get back with us about His answer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Mason but his days are numbered in Pittsburgh. I will be rooting for him once he lands somewhere but I don’t ever expect him to be a quality starter. I do think he can be a premier backup in this league and you can make a pretty good living doing that. His ceiling at this point is Charlie Batch.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    What's that saying in regards to decluttering? "Hold something in your hand and if it doesn't give you joy get rid of it?" Yeah, that's Mason Rudolph.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    will they actually get pickett some game time experience late in games if we are up on teams? will they make up some packages for him during the season? how about mason? could they do the same? i know that would make too much sense. :cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If they are up on teams maybe they would get him some reps but why packages? It’s not like Dobbs where they would use his legs for certain packages. Pickett and Trubiksy are the same skill set.

Why on earth would you put Mason in unless you had to.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well to get pickett field time first off. as for mason, show other teams that may need a qb during the season some field time. it could lead to a higher offer for him if that is their intentions. it may also keep trubisky healthier for the season. remember we added a game to the schedule. that is a long season. trubisky hasn't played every snap for awhile now. there are many reasons to do these things. trubisky isn't iron man ben. ben was a big dude that could take a lot more punishment during the year then any of these other qb's we have now. maybe not in his latter years but prior to that he was a stud. we got really used to that here. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This sounds like musical quarterbacks played to the Looney Tubes theme

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just watch a podcast from Moats and Deke, where Moats was saying that at the OTAs, he could definitely tell Picket was having consistency problems with his passes because of his small hand size.

So what does the below item mean? Do NFL teams get to choose the ball size. 11 or 11.5, and could the Steelers take a page from Brady's book and deflate the balls to help with grip?

Is this a Home Team Advantage?
    upload_2022-6-4_19-9-28.png

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, college balls are smaller, this was discussed during the draft process along with his ability to play in poor weather conditions. That would be a very poor sign if Moats is correct.

As for your question, I don’t think teams get to specifically choose the size, I think all the balls are checked pre game to make sure they fall in the acceptable range. Brady had people circumvent that process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or it could just be an adjustment period, but people are going to try to make a big deal out of every scrap of information, even if it is just OTA's.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    An adjustment period in OTA’s? Football in shorts? Lol whats he going to do when he actually faces a defense.

Moats made an observation and Brice and I commented on it but you bristle anytime people question Pickett. You can downplay the size of his hands all you want but it is something to watch.

Theres a reason no one wanted him in the first rd but the Steelers. Were they in love with the boy next store and clouded their judgment or do they know more than anyone else because they watched him more closely. It’s a fair question.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Let's not forget something people. Ben Roethlisberger, 11th overall pick in 2004, was 3rd string in camp. The Ben era began as early as it did because starter Tommy Maddox got hurt and 2nd string QB Charlie Batch had a knee injury. Not even Terry Bradshaw started his rookie year.

I'm not saying Pickett will or could be anything those two were but the idea that he has to start his rookie year or he is a bust is false.

And before anyone tells me that 1st round QB's should start in the modern NFL, I direct you to Pat Mahomes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope it's in this order:. Trubisky starter, Rudolph #2 and Pickett #3 holding the clipboard. No need to rush the kid into battle. This is not 2004.

• Like Like x 1