1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing to prove

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Jun 2, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

Well they declined your 5th year option fashion plate. Best to prove something after that dismal performance last season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So I failed to live up to expectations but I don’t care

I don’t care what anyone thinks of me

Sounds like the analyst

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " They used a bunch of draft capital to move up and get me, and I've underperformed 2 out of 3 years but, I have nothing to prove "

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Perhaps by mid season Jack will be in Bush’s Mack ILB spot (which is a better fit for Jack than the Buck), and Buddy Johnson will be the 2 down Buck ILB.

I am not feeling confident in Bush.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Just they way todays youth thinks, IMO entitlement.....:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That's pretty disappointing. You would think, just from a personal standpoint, he would want to go out and kick ass and prove he's the best every time he takes the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This was pretty much the same answer T. Edmunds gave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I have been optimistic about Bush since he was drafted, but I told my son on draft night when Bush walked out in that ridiculous outfit that no one with any sense would wear something like that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Honestly, the bulk of the interview was promising. That quote was like ehhh. He kinda ruined any attempt of redeeming himself, which the bulk of the interview he did. He was honest about losing confidence and such.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Nothing to prove?!

Interesting. Rather, intriguing indeed. As I stated heading into the 2021 Season, whether or not Bush has recovered physically would not be the question but rather how well he would be from a mental aspect. Sadly, that answer was given.... to very disappointing results.

While I understand players have to maintain their level of confidence not just within interviews but also theirself, part of their confidence stems from their production. Devin Bush was not productive in 2021. He needs to be in 2022 if he wants to continue his NFL Career and never mind his Steelers one.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you see what Joe Burrow wore on the way into the stadium the day of the Super Bowl? I couldn't care less what a guy wears. My issues with Bush are his poor play and ridiculous comments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What do you think odds are Buddy Johnson and Myles Jack are Day 1 starters?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Imagine if Trevor Lawerence said 'I was the number one overall pick, what do I have left to prove?".

That's essentially what Bush just said. How ridiculous does that sound? Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently one problem with Bush and Jack playing side by side is apparently neither one can wear the green dot (make defensive calls).

It’s like they can’t walk and chew gum.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    C4B65E3F-7BAE-4506-A73F-1254169F398C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Sounds like someone who's just glad I be there rather than someone who wants to be the best

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    OK that’s great it didn’t bother you. I didn’t like it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well....

Trevor Lawrence did not say he has nothing to prove. However, he did say this;

I do realize that some players may not have the chip on shoulder mentality like others do. However, for the most important position in sports, to not be driven to win the big games that matter most is quite the concern. I also expressed concern myself when this first broke back in 2021 as that is not something a fan wants to hear from a player who many believe can turn the Jaguars around.

I do hope that Trevor can be that player I believe he can. Problem is, the mental aspect to drive oneself to be great is just as important as the physical aspect.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :drinks:

Cheers @jeh1856!!! You might be onto something about who wears the Green Dot in the upcoming season!! Should be a Linebacker right?! Well, allow me to explain my personal vote for a candidate who seems to have a knack for not just communicating as a whole but the finite attention to details as well!!

I recently read an article on The Ringer outlining how each NFL Defensive Coordinator issues the Green Dot not just on position but other factors as well. Here is an excerpt from the article about the 2021 LA Rams Defense and who was wearing the Green Dot;

“We just got a lot of respect for him, the way he goes about his work, the way he goes about his business,” Ramsey said of Fuller in December. “We just got a lot of confidence in him.”

"The Rams’ actions back Ramsey’s words. When safety John Johnson III left as a free agent last year, Fuller—a 2020 sixth-round pick—started in his stead. This past season, Rams players voted Fuller a team captain. But perhaps the biggest sign of L.A.’s faith in Fuller was the lime-green sticker placed on the back of the young safety’s helmet: The green dot indicates that Fuller’s helmet is fitted with an internal speaker that allows him to hear defensive coordinator Raheem Morris’s play calls and relay them to his teammates."

Now, Sean McVay further explains why Jordan Fuller was the one who is to wear the Green Dot as opposed on one of LAs Linebackers;

“The most natural position is that inside linebacker spot,” McVay explained in October. “But there’s so many different personnel groupings that you’re mixing and matching throughout the course of the game. When you look at Weddle [in 2019], there was a lot of instances where you knew he was going to be on the field, every single snap. And he was such a great, rare communicator that we wanted to be able to take advantage of it. That was kind of the start of having somebody from the back end take over the mic.”

Given the fact that Teryl Austin is the DC, Brian Flores has been repeatedly praised for his extensive attention to detail even though it being OTAs and your own supported statements of neither Bush or Jack being as proficient wearing the Green Dot, it got me thinking. Circa from 2015-2017, Nick Saban acquired a Five Star Defensive Back from Old Bridge, New Jersey who would not only go on to become a Top 15 Pick but also become one of Nick Saban's favorite, if not favorite, player of all time. Of course I am talking about Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Now again, on the surface, it does not seem likely that the Steelers will make Minkah wear the Green Dot. However, we need to understand the context of the current times along with the team's structure as a whole. The Steelers have historically prided themselves on having the Linebackers be the Heart of the Defense as these players are the force multipliers for the entire unit. That said, these players were not chosen just because of their position but the charisma and leadership intangibles they possessed. Even someone like Vince Williams who, despite not being as decorated as some one like Cameron Heyward or T.J. Watt, was given that Dot due to his level of detail. As it stands currently, there is no Linebacker on the team that possess these qualities as neither Myles Jack nor Devin Bush have been effective whenever they have been issued the Green Dot; Bush in 2020 before the injury and Myles Jack having his Green Dot removed in 2021.

Minkah, while not being a Linebacker, is still a force multiplier in his own right and, arguably the biggest one overall. In addition, let us not forget that Minkah singlehandedly turned around a Steelers secondary that was a mess before him into a formidable force since his arrival. Very seldom do such occurances of correcting such woes happen in such a short period of time; a couple days in Minkahs case. Add in his leadership abilities along with his new Defensive Back friendly DC in Teryl Austin and one does have to beg the question;

Is Minkah Fitzpatrick the one who should wear the Green Dot for the entire Defense?!

He is the Free Safety and therefore, has the biggest set of optics to strategize against the entire Offensive Formation. On the other hand, Pittsburgh has never given such a responsibility to their DBs and it is possible Minkah does not wear it at all.

For those who want to read the entire article about this, please click here!!! Special thanks goes to Kaelan Jones for writing this!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What odds are You hearing???

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess you think Joe Burrow isn't good enough, either. You must not have thought much of L.C. Greenwood's shoes. How about Ernie Holmes's hair? Jack Lambert's teeth?

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Didn't Bush wear it in 2020?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don’t pull a muscle reaching

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Have you seen the **** Burrow wears? You are finding some really stupid **** to be mad about.