1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodson or Sanders who was better?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 9, 2022.

1. Woodson

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Sanders

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    [
    Yes but also no.

I have not problem have a man match with the wrs. However to say it would be as basic as man on man is an understatement to modern NFL.

There could be man relative to certain routes and even concepts. We could play a man with zone back side or strong side or whatever. We could isolate, with a 2 deep safety, lb flat and ilb spy. This would be dictate by down, of course. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as man or zone. It's more isolation coupled with "just in case."

In short, it would be man most of the time but zone will be played.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Which we already do incorporate My Friend :thumbs_up:

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Tackling is not required to play the position. He was highly successful by not doing it right? Also he could cover any routes. No one said he gave up zero catches. But for majority of the time you can count on him essentially taking away and entire half of the field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    No one said he was the better athlete. EVERYONE acknowledges he was the fastest man in the NFL (at the time) and arguably the best cover man... ever. The argument is that Woodson was a far better overall CB without weaknesses - which Deion had many. Deion was a one trick pony. Sure, that one trick was amazing. But he was useless in any other aspect of his position.

Either way, Mel Blount is still the best CB of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Darrell Green says " Who?"

• Like Like x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Woodson a much tougher player then Sanders but for entertainment off the field I like Neon Deion. Some of the picks he'd make and the reasons he gave for them had me laughing hard sometimes.

8. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I hope your not serious. Woodson was by far the better athlete and football player. Speed isn’t the only attribute that dictates what a good athlete is. By the way Woodson was pretty fast in his own right. Woodson was bigger and stronger than Sanders. Sanders was more explosive I’ll give you that but not by much. Woodson ran a 4.31 40 at 6’ 200 lbs. Sanders had two different pre draft measurables so which do you believe? One listed him at 6’ 1” 195 lbs and another one listed him at 5’ 11” 182 lbs. One also had him running a 40 at 4.17 and another had him running it at 4.29. Deion was a self promoter so I’m sure he promoted the better stats but who says they were actually correct. I garunatee you he was definitely not 6’1” and 195 lbs. That would have made him bigger than Woodson and he wasn’t close to Woodson’s size.

Regarding actual cornerback play it wasn’t even close. Sanders was a great cover corner period. Even with that said he had less interceptions and pass breakups over the course of their careers which were fairly identical in length. Woodson supported the run 1000 times better than Sanders and Woodson would tackle with authority. Sanders wouldn’t even tackle a JR. High player if he were coming at him. I don’t know how you can make a statement about tackling as if it isn’t a big part of the game of football, especially back then. Now if they were playing flag football I might give the edge to Sanders but even then it wouldn’t be by much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    There might be some bias in the board. Woodson is one player I just wished they payed to retire a Steeler. Even then when they made the decision I didn't like it.

Of course everyone knows he showed his brilliance long after also.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes it is

especially when he played

This is the flaw in all of your related responses

You don’t understand football

Find someone to tell you what to think

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know You must have typed that incorrectly.
    You just had 2.
    Tackling is not required on defense.....LoL....LoL....LoL.
    I honestly couldn't stop laughing. :lolol::roflmao::dancing::lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Woodson was a better athlete. He was a track star as well as a dominant football player. He wasn't as good in coverage as Sanders, but that you think Sanders was the better athlete just shows how little you know about him and Woodson.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do not understand people thinking Woodson was even the equal of Sanders in coverage. He wasn't. There is a legitimate argument to be made that he was better overall because he was great in coverage and he was so much more physical than Sanders, but there has not been a corner who can cover as well as Sanders since the institution of the Mel Blount rule.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Tackling is not required on defense.

Catching the ball is not required for receivers.

Ability to throw the ball is not required for a QB. LaMar Jackson proves that point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

So....

If Tackling is not required for the Cornerback position, then why are current Cornerbacks like Marlon Humphrey, Jaire Alexander and Xaiven Howard so celebrated?! Never mind them though. There is one more Cornerback who needs to be mentioned here about not being required to do so.

If tackling is not a requirement, then why is Jalen Ramsey not just the best CB in all of football but also the standard for which all current CBs are measured?! No seriously, I would like to know personally. I seriously doubt Sean McVay and Stan Kronke paid two 1st Round Picks for a One Trick Pony player.

Would not make any sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Damn guess once again steelers fans know more than everybody.lets see he was nfl top 100, first ballot hall of famer, recognized by many as the greatest cb to ever play and they all knew he couldnt tackle. He even said himself they dont pay me to tackle. If that was so flagrant why does eberyone else consider him great as he is? How did such a non tackling liability be the difference of 2 teams winning the superbowl in 94 and 95? So obviously to alot of the nfl world tackling for a cb isn't essential or else deion would be marginalized for it.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah and again everyone on this board knows more than literally almost everyone who celebrates deion as the best to ever play cb. If tackling was required, he wouldn't have ever gotten none of the praise he did as he admitted himself they don't Pay me to tackle. But everyone acknowledges go be a great conerback you don't have to tackle.the guys that get paid at corner get paid of their coverage skills. Not tackling skills.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's not. Or else deion wouldn't be called by most the greatest ever. They'd all say he couldn't tackle so he's disqualified. But they don't even mention it cause it's irrelevant to what's important about playing cb.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao::roflmao:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you got it

That education is finally paying dividends

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, I guess Ronnie Lott, Mike Haynes, Mel Blount, Rod never got that memo. Or, did they not get it because you made it up?
    Sanders was undoubtedly very good at his position but, tackling is not required? How about on a corner blitz? How about on a running play where the ball carrier gets to the outside? Corner just watches him run by? Deion probably would.
    Besides, this is a Steelers message board. Of course Rod is going to get more love. Ask the same question on a Pats board and they'd say Ty Law. A Broncos board, Champ Bailey........

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At the time Deon played about 45% of the plays were run plays and Deon was worthless against the run. He basically played about half of his job. That by no definition is great. It doesn't matter how many bobble heads say so. Although apparently there are people who listen to them.

I’ll go with the opinions of knowledgeable fans over someone trying to make clicks or likes or whatever.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    No matter what you say to the contrary, you are definitely NOT a Steelers fan. Absolutely no way. Case closed!

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m guessing he can’t tackle

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That may be the dumbest thing you have written on this board, which is truly saying something.

Sanders was required to tackle. Hell, he was credited with over 500 of them in his career. He just wasn't very good at it.

• Like Like x 2