1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Well How About the New Batman???

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by S.T.D, May 14, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just got it,and will watch it tomorrow night. Anyone seen it???
    Thoughts???

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I went into it not having high expectations because I thought Bales Batman movies were the best and wasn’t high on Patterson playing the role but I thought it was great.

He did a very good job as Batman, I was less thrilled with his Bruce Wayne. The plot I thought was excellent and the Riddler was great.

Hopefully you’ll like it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I went into it with low expectations, and was still disappointed.

Ok, that's not completely true or fair.

As an overall movie, it was decent. Not great, but decent. I didn't mind the overly gritty, film noir style. And it's more palatable considering this is NOT part of the DCU.

The new take on the Riddler was a tad off putting. I mean, at least they were trying to be original and more realistic instead of campy. But making him out to be some kind of internet incel influencer (the dreaded triple I. LOL)? Gimme a break.

Almost the entire rest of the cast was great. Not that Gordon was much of a fleshed out character here, and Alfred was just kind of there. But Andy Serkis and Jeffrey Wright are consummate actors and gave dignified performances. John Turturro made Falcone his own. A character that is really never forefront in Batman iterations outside of the comics, Falcone was a believable and appropriate antagonist. Colin Farrell was GREAT in his limited time as the Penguin. If they do a sequel, I'll be disappointed if he isn't front and center (alongside the inevitable Joker). Zoe Kravitz may be my favorite version of Catwoman. Not campy like Michelle Pfeiffer or all of the TV versions and more believable than Anne Hathaway.

But that brings me to the elephant in the room. The #1 reason this movie is low in the ranks of Batman movies (MAYBE slightly higher than Clooney's but not by much): Robert Pattinson. He single handedly ruins the entire movie. He has absolutely ZERO presence. He's laughable when trying to be intimidating. He's a milquetoast. But, hey, his version of Batman is bad, but at least his Bruce Wayne sucks out loud. Granted, not all of it may be his fault. Script and direction could be part of the blame. But the inescapable truth is this Batman just sucks. (Oh, and just a little advice to the people in charge: if you're going to have your Batman be shirtless at any point, or even have bare arms, make the actor work out a bit! I'm quite certain Pattinson could hit me with everything he has and I wouldn't even flinch. And I'm no badass at all. Make us believe this guy can kick ass)

A sequel is a given. They'd do well to recast Batman, but I won't hold my breath. The little taste of the Joker gives me some hope that we get a decent Joker and not an abomination like Jared Leto gave us. But with how dark, gritty, and dour they made this universe, they should have tied this to and included Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Thats hysterical, I didn’t know that was him but I agree, best character in the movie and should be the main antagonist in the next one.

Hope not, love Phoenix but didn’t like that movie at all. Probably a lot of that is Heath Ledger absolutely ruined any other portrayal of that character. Everyone that plays that role should be required to study Ledgers version and copy as close as possible.

That bad huh, lol. I don’t know, something about it that I liked, maybe his mater of fact delivery. Like talking about the dirty cop, I dont want to name him for STD sake but Gordon was showing empathy for him and disbelief that he would fall into that life and Batman is just like, he was a cop, crossed the line. It’s black and white to him, no shades of gray.

I agree about taking off his shirt, every other actor can get big for a role, get that dude into the weight room. I guess a lot of it is about the suit and fighting technique. Which by the way I thought was pretty brutal in a good way, he wailed on some of them.

Phew, when she was strutting through the club after Batman put the special lenses on her. Damn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well .....One vote good, and one bad. I will be watching it tonight. So....I will see. Will be interested 2 see Falcone with John T playing Him.
    Batman is the only DC comic I ever collected back in the day....well if You don't count their Vertigo offshoot comics. I was a Marvel guy...LoL.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I mean... :swoon:

• Like Like x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So basically she is like the other catwoman. First She plays a X-Men, and then gets a role as Catwoman. :shrug:

Halle Berry: as Storm, and then Catwoman.

Zoe as Angel Salvadore....now Catwoman

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to downgrade him from a very good job to a good job. Ray was right, there is some milquetoast in his performance.

Overall I liked the movie though and I can’t say that about any of the others outside of Bales Batman movies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok, I have something positive to say about Robert Pattinson:

He's not THE worst batman.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I like Batman but must admit I can't watch Patterson playing him. Can't get the role of him being a vampire or werewolf (can't remember) in those Twilight movie out of my head. Although I bet he got the moody part down pat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You actually watched those movies. LoL.
    J/K I did. LoL, and I'm already having trouble seeing Him as Batman, and I haven't watched the movie yet. Hahahha

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    W H A T THE H E L L.
    :eek:

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK while it's fresh on My mind.
    I didn't hate it, and I wasn't bored watching it.
    I also enjoyed the dark atmosphere, and the score , and soundtrack was pretty good......except when Batman apprehended the Penguin....if You go back , and listen ....during that walk from the Batmoble....it sounded very close 2 the Imperial Death March .
    With all that said I didn't hate it. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.
    Also ....how the hell did Catwoman pull Batman, and , and that heavy a$$ suit up by herself????:shrug:
    She is pretty Hot , but still has nothing on Her Mother.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I still prefer the Keaton movies, and also really liked the Bale movies, but I was cautiously hopeful for the new one.

While it won't rank at the top of my list, it was certainly better than I expected. And it was a huge leap over anything with Affleck.

My biggest complaint is that it felt like someone said, "Let's make this really dark. Like really dark, so that it's darker than any other Batman movie" and then they focused on that more than the movie itself.

But overall, it was an enjoyable movie to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Somebody needs 2 go Back and watch....Angel Heart... with Her (Lisa Bonet ), Mickey Rourke, and Robert De Niro. :thumbs_up:

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, I remember. I said what I said. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I hated those movies. Was forced to watch one at family get together and I kept saying the True Blood vampires (show I loved) would beat the crap out of the Twilight ones.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I watched them because a girl friend of mine at the time. I kept hoping Blade would show up ,and Wipeout the whole bunch of them. LoL

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wouldn't say 'nothing', but her mother in her prime was pretty good.

And, not for nothing, if you haven't heard Lenny's album "5", do yourself a favor. He played every part on it. Probably top 100 albums for me. It's great.

• Like Like x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I listened 2 a bunch of Kravitz back in the day....Matter of fact I own Are You Gonna Go My Way, and Mama Said, but I haven't heard 5....So I will check it out.
    A cover band I use 2 play with covered Are You Gonna Go My Way back in the day.

22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm glad you're checking it out. It's a transitional album. Lot's of digital effects mixed with old school for a unique sound. He has a song about Zoe actually, it's called "Little Girls Eyes". It's a standout for me.

• Like Like x 1