1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Pickett have the arm strength to make all the throws?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 2, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You need to look at more videos. There are plenty showing him making throws while either retreating, moving in the pocket or running away from pressure. It is actually one of Pickett's strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dang. The guy hasn’t even had a chance to play. Take a breath.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Nothing I have seen has suggested his arm strength is a problem. The film I have watched he has a good tight spiral with good not great arm strength. He has very good pocket awareness and can scramble. So his legs are a threat as well. I was hoping we picket him and we did .. WOOT WOOT. I predict Trubisky will take lead role for the first few games and Picket coming in mid season or before to replace him as #1 QB

• Like Like x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont think the video points out his weak arm. He made some really good throws .

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If Pickett does not win the starting job outright then it's MTs to lose. I have no idea what to expect. If he and the team are playing well and surprisingly in 1st or in a strong place to make the play offs I don't think they switch. If they are losing but the O still is providing protection and its a matter of producing then a change might be good. The bottom line is throwing him to the wolves and actually limiting his growth. Experience is great, but if he is running for his life every play then no.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I agree. MT brings to the table the NFL experience which will likely have him as the starter. Could be wrong. This is the MT I would like to see

7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Hence the statement "admittedly small sample size".

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You’re dismissing ball placement? Way to out yourself

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No.....Can't say that I've had the pleasure, but if She's put up with You this long.....She must be an angel. :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    More like they won enough games to make the playoffs :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It was kind of peaceful on here before he made parole.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at a wedding and a friend I had not seen in many years and who had never met my wife came up to me. I greeted him and introduced him to my wife. His opening line was “you must be a highly tolerant woman”

:smiley1:

We have been married a long time

• Like Like x 1
  13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I'm down with that, long relationships are healthy relationships, health is under rated trust me, back to Pickett, critics of his arm strength need to settle because its you dont want to throw the ball too hard and with too much zip, a softer pass at a decent speed is better , its Pickett and Trubisky at 1 and 2 for the next coupleof years, get used to it

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not entirely accurate here.

In some cases yes. However, in others, QBs, notably starting ones, have their own specialized trainers for that. Remember that each QB has a different throwing motion. The angle at which the ball is when the wind up begins, the follow through of that motion, the completion of that motion, how much energy is stored between the biceps and triceps during those motions, etc.

A bit more than that but merely improving arm strength is a lot more involved. Sometimes the same, some QBs... just are born with that freakish level of arm talent; Josh Allen being the best and prime example here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember Phil Simms saying that when he worked out for Bill Walsh he was told to chill with the MPH and throw it 'easy.'

• Like Like x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm going off throws I've seen them make. Not their velocity. I've seen them push the ball down the field.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Didn't watch much of Stabler so I'll take your word for it. And I'm mostly talking about the game now. In the current nfl. If he's Phillip rivers, the steelers aren't winning the sb with him. Again especially when you look at who he's comeptiting against currently. These guys talent is the best we've seen at one time at the postion. This is the point I'm trying to make. Gone now are the days when you just look at certain messaurbles for a qb. The manning and Brady type guys. Teams aren't going after those anymore.

18. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He has average arm strength, and also baby hands so he may be chasing a lot of fumbled balls. His accuracy was good for college, but not sure how that will translate to the pros. His decision making is questionable and he has a low football IQ overall. His scrambling ability is good but unrefined, leaving him open to injury. With some work he could become a solid backup quarterback for the Steelers.

Attached Files:

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It seems like you are regurgitating information from somewhere, but nothing credible. Accuracy tends to translate well from college to the pros, as does the lack of accuracy. Guys like Josh Allen, who fix that in the NFL, are rare.

This idea that his decision-making is questionable and he has a low football IQ goes against everything I've seen and heard about the guy. I'm not sure where you are getting the part about him scrambling, either. One of Pickett's greatest strengths at Pitt was his ability to move in the pocket to either buy time or escape and run. Seriously, your entire post reads like someone knows nothing about Pickett.

Edit: I really have to pay more attention. My bad for feeding the troll.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you for again reminding us that you haven't seen Pickett play very much and really don't know anything about him.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And this post is brought to us by the dimwit who posted this:

“With the win today, we will now NOT be drafting the Penn State QB Kevin Pickett”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Are you just looking for attention or are you one of the kiddies

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because playing at Pitt isn't impressive.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I imagine it is far more impressive than whatever Podunk is allowing you onto its practice fields, but that is beside the point. You know nothing about the guy, yet you continue to vomit your ignorance onto this message board rather than try to learn.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not the one boasting up where I'm playing in comparison to people at Alabama or somewhere in college of note. Going off at Pitt is not impressive lol.