1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The biggest BS is that Crosby got the concussion on a dirty cross check into the boards which the camera didn't fully show and the Refs conveniently missed. It was later in the game where he got another cheap upper body hit in the middle of the ice where he left the game. What pisses me off to no end is that when the Crangers figured out they couldn't win the series they resorted to the Crapitals ways of playing extremely dirty by trying to take out our star players. I hope the Pens win but if they fall behind they should start playing just as dirty and purposely hurt they Rangers any way possible. If the NHL can't fix it then Pittsburgh should embrace the goon play mentality.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    5 series have gone to a game 7. Really looking forward to the Maple leafs at home tonight. Think they have not won a Playoff series in a long time. Sure it's HUGE in Toronto and knocking off TB would make for major party night up north.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    First game 7 of weekend and Carolina up 2-0 in second. They are at home and I'd say it's in the bag for them. Just like I thought in game 6 of Pens series.

4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, game seven coming up. The thing is the Rags top line couldn't contain the Pens top line with a healthy Crosby therefore they were impotent offensively. Without Crosby, Zibenejad has two goals, Kreider one in game six. It underscores what a real captain is all about. I hope Jarry is able to go tomorrow because Domingue is toast. However, I won't lay all of the blame at his feet. Rodriguez took a bad retaliatory penalty last night; Rust missed a wide-open net and for the second time in as many games the Pens failed to score on a 5 on 3 power play opportunity. They also blew back-to-back 2 goal leads. They've lost all the momentum they had. I hope beyond all hope that keeping Crosby out of game six was simply a precaution, but I doubt it. I would rather see Sid lead a long, happy and healthy life when his career is finished rather than winning a playoff series that might place his long-term health at risk. I'll say this; one could make the argument that Sid is playing as good as ever at 34. What a hockey player he's been his entire career. I feel privileged to have been able to watch him for 17 years.

NHL officiating and "the code" is what keeps the NHL a minor, niche sport. Equating dirty play as toughness then placing as much if not more of an emphasis on it rather than skating and talent is something casual fans find hard to comprehend. I love the game, so I put up with it. However, I completely understand why many are repulsed. The league has said they want to cut down on concussions, yet blatant boarding and high hits targeting the head area are routinely ignored during the playoffs because officials "want to let the boys play". It's pretzel logic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn TB. Twice is enough unless it's a Penguin team. The one team I was pulling for besides the PENS loses game 7 at home. Toronto just can't seem to win a Playoff series.

Home teams 2-1 so far in series that have gone 7 games.

I know the fighting in the NHL turns many sport fans away from the sport but for excitement it's hard to beat the last minutes of a close game. Boston down 3-1 made a furious comeback with a few minutes left. Not even my teams but I was on the edge of my seat.

Obviously I'd love the PENS to win but even up 3-1 I didn't think we'd win this thing. Not so much losing Sid but having a #3 net minder with a defense that let's up at times is a recipe for failure:(

6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014

Leafs fans are disgusted, and rightfully so. Many want Kyle Dubas, Keefe and Shanahan fired off into the sun. I thought Dubas put together a pretty good roster. Like any other sport, many fans want to blame the coaching and upper management when the team can't get it done. Let's be honest. This is the fourth year in a row the Leafs have gotten bounced in the first round with their core of stars. Others want to blame the overturned goal in game 7 and a borderline call against Holl in game 6 that lead to a TB PP goal in game 6. It's on the players, no one else. The Leafs went stretches of game 7 where they weren't getting offensive zone time. Too many one shot and done situations.

No matter what line up dresses for the Pens tonight, they have to win the special teams battle or they will be golfing tomorrow, it's that simple. Secondly, if Domingue starts, they have to insulate him. Hopefully get a lead then trap the hell out of the Rangers. One forechecker into the offensive zone, both defenseman and two forwards back on defense. Keep the Rangers to the outside in their own end and clear the net front, let Louis see everything. Get the puck in to the Rags defensive zone below the red line and force them to have to go 200' as much as possible. With Domingue in net, they can't afford to trade chances with the Rangers. Defense first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    After the Pirates winning a game without getting a hit I now think amazing things could happen for Pittsburgh sports today.

Hearing rumors (from family members) that Jarry and Crosby could be on the ice tonight.????????? Where they are getting this from I have no idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Sid, Jarry and Rakell back in the line-up LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bunch of horse puck.

10. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I really appreciate what Geno and Letang have brought to this franchise over the last 13-14 years but it's time for a fresh start.

This team needs some new blood.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure why you think that. The Penguins win this in five games if the Rangers don't manage to knock Crosby out with that dirty hit. Then they would have had Jarry back for the second round and been a very real threat.

That said, you are probably going to get your wish. I'm guessing that is the trio that has been at the core of the Penguins since 2006 played its last game together tonight. Malkin and or Letang will be gone as free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, no coincidence that they "all of a sudden" had a dominant line once they took Crosby out with that hit. Doesn't help that make up calls tend to happen to sap momentum at predictable intervals.

The panel during the second intermission of game 5 looked like they were heated about the call on Rodrigues after he was cross-checked with no call. Seemed like the Pens and the Rangers knew how things were going to be called as well.

The Penguins radio guys called every single time they were going to call a momentum changer.

13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Sadly you are correct. The way I look at it also is that Matheson put 2 crucial goals in our own net near identically to each other. Both those cost us this series ultimately. Really loved having Geno and Letang out there for the long ride but it is now over and it will be many years til we see another serious cup run. Thought this was the team to do it but when you have a goon run league these are the results you get. Rangers knew they had to play dirty to advance and the league fully supports it.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Pens couldn’t hold a damn lead like in any game lol

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They were a shaky defensive team even with Jarry and Doumolin, and they played most of the series without those guys. Domingue let in some terrible goals. Jarry was better last night, but not great. Doumolin cleans up so much for other players in the defensive zone. They desperately needed a steady veteran back there.

That said, the solution in Games 3 and 4 was to just keep scoring. They faced the best goalie in the league and they broke him. Then they took out Crosby, which gave Shesterkin the opportunity to regroup.

17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'm sad, mad and disappointed.

Sad cause it will be a long long time til we see a serious Cup run in Pens organization after the they overhaul this team in the offseason.

Mad cause we had the series won until the started playing dirty rotten goon style hockey and the league puts up with that garbage.

Disappointed cause I think we really had a chance to win one more cup with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree and the only reason I was proud was the goalie situation, heck, even the talking heads on NHL Network had us losing in 5.

19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Talking heads is spot on. They got rid of so many great knowledgeable hockey announcers and now they resort to MTV personalities to talk about what kind of Pizza they used to bring into the locker room to loosen up the players.

Bring back Jeremy Roenick!

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I wasn't as angry as I thought I'd be, maybe because I knew the end was near. Even if they got past the Rangers, they would have had to deal with Carolina which is a faster and deeper team than NY. The only nod I would give NY is in goal, but the Pens have shown Shesterkin is rather easily rattled.

I think at bare minimum, Malkin and Rust are likely gone. Malkin is not the player he once was, and Rust is going to get paid. But not by the Pens. They can't afford him. Letang may very well be gone as well. Someone, probably Montreal is going to throw a boatload of cash at him and right now, they have it to spend.

As far as last night's game, it was a microcosm of the series. Couldn't get timely saves. Couldn't protect a lead. A couple of bad turnovers. I also hated that Sully pared Matheson and Letang. Both are too offensive minded. God knows Sid's line did all it could the whole series. Guentzel was a beast. This offseason should be both interesting and maybe a little sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm sorta torn on this article. Malkin is my favorite player but has certainly lost a step. Some of his turnovers can be difficult to understand sometimes but more often than not he really is a smart hockey player. Crosby is simply on another level with his 200 foot playing ability. Letang is a freaking work out machine and plays that way. They do need new blood though. Mathesons two goals in our own net proved to be more than they could overcome. So many other players simply didn't show up in the series. Carter, Kaspanen, Marino to name a few.

I'm not sure how this offseason goes but we need drastic changes. The league is too fast for us now.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-cro...-seasons-with-pittsburgh-penguins/c-334144328

22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Kapanen and Carter can go. Rodriguez, too. He's got a hell of a shot but he's wildly inconsistent. Marino was great in game one and kind of shaky at times afterward. Letang had a good series. Matheson is skilled, but he takes way too many chances and gets caught out of position.

Physically, other teams do not fear the Pens at all. They used to fear their speed, but now even heavy teams have decent speed on their first two lines. The Pens have to get some anger and size in their line-up. I'm not necessarily a fan of tight checking hockey, but if Sid and Guentzel are absorbing hits, then you make the other teams stars suffer. And FFS, get a coach that will make the first PP unit shoot first and shoot often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    F the Rangers!! Go Carolina!!!!! Love game 7's in the NHL.

That should be the PENS playing. Frigging up 3 games to 1. Up 2 goals in game 5. FU--

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Screw the Rangers. Felt bad for them when Tom Wilson singlehandedly beat the hell out of their first line towards the end of the 2020 season. What do they do? Get someone they know Wilson will be afraid of in Ryan Reaves. That's understandable. Then, they sign a meathead like Jacob Trouba that likes to deal out head shots. Now, their style of play is indistinguishable from teams like Washington, Boston, the Islanders and St. Louis. I hope Carolina knocks them out tonight.

25. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I told my 14 year old several years ago that the team that beats your team you want to see them win it all. He said that to me the other day out of the blue. I guess I'm pulling for the Rangers......tonight.

Go Edmonton!