1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickens signs deal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 13, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Officially a Steeler :clapping:

All the hype is going towards Austin but this is the guy who is going to kill it this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    hopefully they both kill it this year.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I look for Austin to make an impact next year if he is able to at all. Where does he even fit in this year? He’ll be mostly special teams with maybe a 3 or 5 plays a game. Who’s coming off the field for him?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    As it stands we don’t have a slot receiver. That’s probably where he fits best. If he’s only on the field for 3-5 plays a game I’ll be pissed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Blast you're crazy right now. I want both guys to succeed as well, but Austin is way more ready to contribute than Pickens is. Who is coming off the field for Pickens? Claypool? They already tried Claypool in the slot last year and it was a disaster. Pickens can not play the slot.

My guess would be the season starts off DJ, Chase, Austin, Pickens. As the season wears on Pickens will take more and more of Claypool's snaps. Those two are essentially the same player, only Pickens has better hands IMO. Neither guy has shown the lateral quickness to consistently work the underneath middle of the field.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At 161 pounds I will be surprised if he lasts 3-5 plays in the slot

• Like Like x 3
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Per NFL.com Austin's combine weight was 170. He is listed as 5'8.

For comparison sake DJ is 5'10 183. I think way to much is being made of Austin's size.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Pickens or Austin.

I thought you were referring to Pickens being the slot receiver this year and being Pissed if Pickens is only out there 3-5 time a game; and not Austin. But, it looks like you were responding to a post about Austin.

I still hope Claypool becomes the new Slot, so we can stop watching him fall down on those deep outside routes, and start pushing DBs around in the middle of the field. Claypool is a defensive nightmare in the middle of the field with his size and speed.

9. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Agreed. I see him as a shot player anyhow. So he fits in perfectly..

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m just looking at it logically. You really think Austin is going to get playing time over Johnson, Claypool and Pickens? It’s mind boggling how easy some of you think this guy is going to come in and tear up the league, hes a smurf and the deck is stacked against him.

Claypool was a disaster in the slot? He only had 109 snaps from the slot and had 28 receptions for 363 yards and 2 TD’s. The guy played a ton in the slot in college and was a monster. He’s actually much more suited for it then playing out wide.

Johnson and Claypool can play both inside and out, neither one of them will be losing playing time to Pickens or Austin.

Austin will primarily be special teams this year and will try to get him some snaps on offense but there is only so many footballs to go around and as a 4th rd pick with diminutive size, he will be the low man on the totem pole and will have to work his way onto the field.

The only way he sees the kind of playing time you think he will get is if he comes in and sets the world on fire. Highly unlikely. Even if he makes it at this level, it will be an adjustment from college to the pros for him. If they don’t extend DJ, then Austin will get a chance to make his mark next season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At 170 pounds I will be surprised if he lasts 3-5 plays in the slot

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok signed our 2nd round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If they were fighters they wouldn't be in the same class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. Pickens has played the slot .
    2. Pickens has played against way more NFL type players, and Ds.
    3. What makes You think Austin is...(Your words) Way more ready 2 contribute?????

• Like Like x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or injuries....God forbid.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I wasn't suggesting they duke it out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    1. Just like Claypool, there is a big difference between running routes out of the slot, and being a slot receiver.
    2. Better competition at Georgia for sure, however neither has faced NFL D's or players.
    3. I think he is way more ready out of necessity. The Steelers need him to play. He was also significantly more productive in college than was Pickens, and had a significantly longer career.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Looking at it logically, George Pickens is not going to make nearly the immediate impact some of you think. This is a guy who missed last season, and had extremely limited production before the injury. He hasn't had a good season statistically since his freshman year, and lets face it, even those numbers were far from spectacular.

Not you Blast, but I have read others suggest that he will be the #1 receiver on the roster this year, and to me that's just crazy. I like Pickens. I thought it was a decent pick. But, lets give the kid a chance to earn his reps.

As for Austin, you are underestimating his talent. i think the Steelers desperately need an underneath receiver with wiggle, call it slot or whatever. I think his early success will happen because he will be given opportunities out of necessity.

As for Claypool, it's funny how soon we all forget just how bad he was last year. Everyone blames Ben. No more excuses this time around. I think Chase Claypool's spot is anything but secure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    For once in many years...the WR corps is a big question mark. At least we have Harris and Friermuth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickens is thought to be one of the most talented receivers in the draft and was projected to go in the first rd before he tore his ACL. Honestly, the only negative to pin on him is injury concerns. He could stand to bulk up and I’m sure they will see to that.

He has the best hands in the class and only dropped 2 passes in his college career. He has amazing body control, tracking ability and catch radius. I don’t think he will be the #1 receiver this year as he is only a rookie but I can certainly see him taking over that roll eventually. At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me to see him have a Ja’Marr Chase rookie season.

I think Austin is a very exciting player with a lot of great traits, sadly I see him having a very difficult time transitioning from college to the pros at his size. It matters, don’t know why you guys are dismissing that. If he can do it, it’s going to take him some time, he’s not going to come in and dominate and as I said, he has players in front of him that will get the opportunities that he will have to wait for.

You are exaggerating how bad Claypool was, he was close to a 1,000 yards playing with a very diminished Ben who couldn’t throw deep and avoided the entire MOF. Honestly I think it speaks to how good Diontae is that he had the type of season he did. I expect both he and Claypool to have very good seasons this year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?

How come?

You do not like either Pickens or CA3?

• Like Like x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Potential... we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Pickens I like a lot for many reasons. Many will admire him due to his fearless mentality and willingness in run blocking; a trait another Georgia Wide Receiver who donned the Black 'n' Gold was synonymous for. Granted, the rules are much different today but Pickens clearly is not afraid of anyone... or anything... for better or worse. Me personally?! Having a DEFCON I option with reliable hands is what is the most assuring; doubly so for a young QB like Pickens who had his Receivers not named Jordan Addison have passes klang off of their hands.

His run blocking and aggressive demeanor (though in need of a tune up in terms of how to harness it properly) and more layers to his abilities as a Wide Receiver. That said, his sure hands will no doubt serve Kenny well. Heck, even if it is not Kenny Pickett who wins the starting job, Mitchell Trubisky can be just as appreciative. Having the likes of Freiermuth is not a luxury but rather a failsafe now.. though passing to Freiermuth more would not hurt either QB.

Now, CA3 is still my guy personally. However, for those wondering, it is fair to debate how many targets he shall receive overall barring injury to one of the three starting Receivers. Unless CA3 can beat out Pickens or if Pickens does enough to kick himself out of the lineup.... Pickens is likely the number 3 Wide Receiver for the Steelers heading into the Week 1 matchup against Cincy; once again barring injury to Pickens also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ahh... I understand then.

Like Pickens and love CA3 myself. Seeing it in action though is different. Cannot wait personally.

• Like Like x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    One final aspect I did mention when Pickens got selected but wanted to remind everyone yet again.

Both Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson are due extensions before long. If I had to wager, of the two, Claypool is the one who is in more danger of losing his number two spot to George Pickens. Pickens is the superior Z Receiver in just about every major category. Sure, he is not on the same plane of freak level athlete that Claypool but Pickens is freaky enough and possess far more ability to stack DBs on the outside numbers to beat them deep.

Chase could also be that possible big slot option but again, this Offense has gotten a lot more than just faster. Notice the two Receivers drafted in this class in CA3 and Pickens; both were well regarded among their peers for their abilities to separate though through different means. Pickens gets his separation quickly through his violent but explosive and sudden abilities to overwhelm opposing DBs. CA3 may not have Pickens' size or length but makes up for it by being not just fast and explosive but also lightning quick; many DBs being unable to get a hold of him when attempting to press. If anything, if a DB does correctly time their press technique on CA3, that is about as easy a long completion or TD as one will give up for CA3's ability to accelerate to top speed is instantaneous to the point of it being Tyreek Hill-esque. Do not believe this?!

Again, just some examples and of course, the NFL is a different beast. However, merely having such a foundation of skills to call upon to further improve one's skills is an important stepping stone for any Rookie; regardless of position. None of this though is as significant to Diontae as it is to Chase. Why?

Until proven otherwise, Matt Canada clearly has a vision for his Offense and one that Chase seemingly does not fit in; Wide Receivers that not only can separate at the snap of the ball but also during their route running. I did see some separation woes for Claypool in Year One but not nearly as much as year two. The previous season's Wild Card Game is essentially the literal nail in the coffin on what was a Sophomore Slump for Chase. More info of this and more can be found reading this article here. Unless Chase Claypool has figured out a way to seperate more efficiently and consistently not just off the line but also stacking DBs outside the numbers....?!

Not just George Pickens but also CA3 may have a say in this Offense sooner rather than later. I still believe in Claypool's physical talent and potential. That said, now is the time to turn that potential into performance.

• Like Like x 1