1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This team is starting to gel at the right time. I'd keep this goalie in for now. He could be quite the story. Kinda like the 80-1 horse that won the Kentucky Derby.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The only reason I quoted Madden was because I agreed that O'Connor would definitely infuse more speed into the line-up. To your point, Boyle has mountains of NHL playoff experience and he is rarely out of position. Aside from that, the Pens aren't trying to out skate the Rangers, they are positionally superior, and other than the 2nd in game two, they are making the Rangers go 200 feet nearly every possession. Plus, and this is no small thing, they have rattled the cage of Igor Shesterkin. He is mentally fragile right now, especially after they hung a six spot on him tonight. Some amazing goals, especially the tip in by Heinen. How he even saw that puck is just unreal. "Old man" Crosby with a ho-hum 3 point night. Hopefully, they wrap this up Thursday and have a nice rest to get Dumo, Jarry and Rakell back healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, and BTW, Jake Guentzel is a very bad man.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Of all the forwards they have tried with Crosby, Jake is the player who seems made for this. He could be a contender for the Conn Smyth if he wasn't also with Sid lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't hold Madden's dumb takes against you just calling him out for his shock jock talking points. The guy is beginning to annoy me, he won't be happy until Crosby, Letang, and Malkin are gone and lesser players are restocked in the shelves.

6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    3rd line has been more of an issue. I know it won't happen but Carter to wing with O'Conner centering would make more sense, IMO

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Holy cow!!!! Not a big follower of other NHL teams but wasn't the Ranger goalie one of the best during the regular season???? Pens using a third stringer and up 3-1 = AWESOME!!

Should we hang on and does Jarry start if he's healthy??????

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I stay with Domingue for now. He played really well yesterday.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Rich Strike! What a name , what a race, what a horse and jockey.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That's part of his schtick. He thinks of outrageous "hot takes" and flies them right into the ground as a way of providing proof of his "tested 166 i.q." He's a pain in the ass, but at times he does say things worth considering. He does know a great deal about hockey. I figure his suggestion of scratching Boyle in favor of O'Connor was a better way of dealing with the Rags edge in team speed. To me, the last two games have shown the Pens are dealing with it schematically and buying in. It also is highlighting in bold that the NYR'ers lived and died with Shesterkin and their PP during the regular season. Their 5v5 play has been pretty abysmal to date in this series.

11. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Louis has earned the right and I think that's what Sully would have done. But everything I've read about Jarry indicates that he wouldn't be available until the second round.

12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yes, he is the odds on favorite to win the Vezina Trophy for best regular season goaltender and possible the Hart Trophy for MVP. He did something incredibly stupid when he waved bye- bye to the Pens when the Rangers thumped them for the third and last time during the regular season. Not real smart against a proud veteran team. If the Pens weren't focused coming down the stretch, they sure as hell got focused for this series. Across the board, hockey players loathe that kind of crap.

13. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    As far as Boyle, he's played just fine in a fourth line role. However, when Rakell comes back, I suspect he'll be the odd man out. Honestly, I was hoping Sully would sit E Rod and dress O'Connor. But then, E-Rod rewards Sully's faith with 2 goals in game 3. Anyway, I like O'Connor. He's big, he can skate, hit, and he has a blistering wrist shot. Good problems to have dressing a roster when everyone is healthy.

14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Interesting story. I didn't know about that. Sure glad he did that.

15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Hell of a game 5 last night in Toronto!! Should the PENS move on Toronto or TB would be tough to play. Both looked really fast on the ice.

Really not sure who we'd play next but I'm looking to far ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    What the hell happened there. I go to restroom 2-0 PENS. Come out 3-3. Man that was insane. Rangers were on sleeper mode until that 3 goal outburst. That is how I thought the first 10 minutes would have went. Nice PENS came right back to tie!!!!

Well hope there is good news come tomorrow in this thread.

17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Pens got super lazy. Guentzel then comes through for us. Pens can't get lazy anymore cause it can change the game so easily.

18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, Crosby left the game with about 6 minutes left in the second when they were up 2-0. Had total control of the game. They put Carter with Jake and Rust, and then everything when to sh!t on their first shift. Crosby got hit when he was in an awkward position, I hope he's able to go Friday. Pens still had their chances even when they were down 4-3 but couldn't get it tied. I want them to close this out at home on Friday because anything can happen in a game 7.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Crosby got injured on the non boarding call before he got hit in the middle of the ice. JMHO. Hopefully he's ok. Crangers played like Crapitals with their goon game when they got down 2-0. Their coach is officially a DIRTBAG!

Get well soon Sidney! Let's go Pens!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That wasn’t about getting lazy. It was about losing Crosby to a dirty hit. That is how the Rangers saved their season. Hell if a strategy. Injure one of the best players of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
  22. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

That's the blueprint crafted by the Crapitals. Play dirty. Screw the Rangers and their dirtbag coach!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not even a hearing for Trouba for his dirty hit on Crosby. Mario Lemieux was right 30 years ago and it is still true today. The NHL is still a garage league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    TB/Toronto = game 7 (amazing series and thrilling game last night)

Boston/Carolina = game 7

Oilers/Kings = game 7

PENS/NYR = ??????? I got a bad feeling about tonight. Going back to NY won't be good.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Penguins are done. The Rangers couldn't win the series clean, so they stole it by playing dirty. The NHL encourages this crap. They have been letting it go for decades. They certainly don't protect their stars. This series would have ended Wednesday night if not for the injury. Crosby was reminding everyone why he is one of the greatest of all time in the series. The Penguins lost their momentum and the best player on either team. They don't have enough to come back from this.

Crosby has a concussion. I read confirmation about that a little while ago. He is done for the series and probably wouldn't be back even if the Penguins did somehow advance. Remember, he has an ugly history with concussions.