1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Calvin Austin III is more than just a gadget player

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 4, 2022.

1. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Well its practical modern day application is "Problem-Reaction-Solution." Create a problem, observed the reaction and offer a solution.thats closer to the end goal. Before rinse and repeating.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd go with Occam's Razor.

3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I wonder why there was never a razor company that took that low hanging fruit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard a few media guys say that Austin was their favorite pick of the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If he actually ran a 4.03 that would be what around 30 MPH? He is really fast but he isn't superhuman.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The fastest combine 40 ever is 4.22

The fastest human ever Usain Bolt hit 27.33

According to Mr Googlies

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You like them?!

I love them!! :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Again everyone... this is not the second coming of Dri Archer. Dri was fast yes... but had little to no bend and never mind a position. CA3's is clearly defined; the potential to become so much more in fact.

People need to stop looking at players based on their physical dimensions alone. Start watching the tape. Tape does not lie.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, he’s an ankle breaker. I like hi chances.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not only that but he will get extra attention paid to him if he burns a few guys. That makes the coverage of our other talented young receivers a little less. It's up to our QB to find that and exploit it.

let's see quick off the ball and one that's big and fast, hmmm, seems like a second coming of DJ and claypool. Now we have two sets. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope he is more than a gadget player. We are going to need everybody on board
    and producing in this very tough AFC conference.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    156 receptions for 2541 yards, at 16.3 yards per catch and 22 TDs. rushed 8 times for 161 yards at 21.1 yards per carry and 3 more TD's. < that is the stat that really stands out to me. 2 more TD's on punt returns with an 11.1 per return average. he has 6 tackles on ST's too for his size. much more than a gadget player. he's a guy the other team better plan for. if you saw the video of sauce gardner talking about this kid, just wait until he's matched up on mike hilton.:smiley1::smiley1: :cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I miss Dri Archer

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe the tape doesn’t lie but it does mislead. How many players with good or even great tape have washed out in the NFL.

NFL is a different beast, its what makes projecting players to the pro lever so hard or otherwise no one would ever be wrong.

He’s a tiny 170lbs, that can’t just be dismissed. He’s going to need some really clean windows because I can’t imagine him winning too many contested catches. Hope he lives up to the hype. One thing he has going for him is he won’t be seeing the best CB’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yes, but do you think the Hegelian Dialectic supports or opposes cis-Heteronormativity amoung the lizard people Or do they favor a proto-Reptilian hermaphroditic construct?

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Yes and no. Austin is 5’ 9”, 170 lbs. that is small. If you’re that small, you better be fast or you offer nothing. Size ain’t everything, but it dictates a lot. Can he block? Not likely. Will he get blown up at the line? Yup, everytime the defense wants to. His size will ultimately limit what he can do.

Saw a lot of pre-draft analysis comparing Malik Willis to Josh Allen. One is 6’ 5”, the other is 6’. That s a huge difference. If Malik is gonna have NFL success he’ll have to follow a different blueprint than Allen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

upload_2022-5-8_15-13-24.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

4.03? Damn, so that means, basically, that when it rains he's so fast, he doesn't even get wet? :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    To be fair, if you blinked, you "missed" his career. He was that fast.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

People were and are comparing Josh to Malik due to potential based on athletic gifts and throwing talents; not dimensions based on physique. Major difference.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Tape is mislead as some players really need the handicap of scheme or talent around others to assist them. Jarvis Jones is the best current example of a player who benefitted from scheme more than any other Steelers player drafted in the Colbert Era. Landry Jones is another example of a player who's abilities were augmented by the talent around him making him look better rather than examining what he and he alone was and was not good at doing.

I do agree that the NFL is a different beast no doubt about it. However, as you and me both know, even beasts like the NFL evolve for its own survival. A year ago, no one thought that DeVonta Smith could amount to anything more than a quality number due to his lack of size; 170lbs for him as well but at 6 feet tall... a massive difference mind you. In fact, some analysts, while praising his overall WR abilities, called him a reach due to his weight limitations; Mel Kiper Jr. I believe being one of them. While the jury is still out on Jalen Hurts being the QB for Philly, much of the same cannot be said for the likes of DeVonta Smith for much of the promise and potential he showed at Alabama transitioned well into the NFL. His Rookie Numbers do not tell this story but how well Jalen Hurts plays well this season will be a more indicative measure for how well Smith can be in the NFL.

Regarding CA3, while he is 170lbs himself, he is a lot more compact and stocky in comparison to Smith's 170bs. Remember than weights themselves are carried differently; different sets of rules need to be applied to the players in question. Beyond the weight though, CA3 has shown time and time again he is worth more than just being a one position based Receiver. He can play outside as well as inside. For his Rookie Season, I agree that playing inside will benefit him but not because of seeing less talented CBs as slot CBs are in far greater demand now than they ever have been.

Him playing in the slot more than on the perimeter not only accelerates his development but also Pickett's as well assuming he wins the job. Pat Freiermuth is more than likely going to see an uptick in targets but having one safety valve is not enough. CA3's shiftiness and explosiveness are going to create far more openings to move the sticks than others are giving him credit for... and this is before discussing his DEFCON 1 abilities.

23. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
  24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But can our new QB get the ball downfield deep to him?

This guy paired with Ben 4-5 years ago would have been ideal, but until they link up, his speed is just a threat.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I mean....

Pickett's overall accuracy, anticipation on throws and ball placement are not to be questioned regardless of what area of the field it is. How Matt Canada is going to maximize the new talent he has is of another story. Pickett is a part of the equation yes but not the biggest factor towards finding the solution.

Time to see what Matt Canada can really do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1