1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK - a bit of a recovery with a small 2 game win streak but... a tough road schedule ahead with TB on Wednesday and Carolina on Thursday. Pens do play well on the road so far - so fingers crossed. Would be nice to get revenge on the Hurricanes Thursday but that's a tall order for a back to back on the road.

EDIT: Actually this weeks games are on Thursday and Friday, both on the road. Then they face the top team the Florida Panthers at home next Tuesday. Tough 3 game stretch.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Sully's a great coach, especially if you want to win. Hockey players by their very nature generally value winning over all else. We all know they make a nice life for themselves and their families. However, the level of commitment and sacrifice winning a Stanley Cup requires dwarfs all other stick and ball sports. That, and the speed of the game is why the cup playoffs are my favorite time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    They blindsided Tampa last night. The Bolts even tried to goon it up a bit and that backfired. As I type this, DeSmith is putting on a clinic in net as the Pens hold on to a 2-1 lead after 2. Pens owned the first, 'Canes the latter half of the second. Pens have to win some faceoffs and get some offensive zone time and they should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    In other news: Fleury spurned the Caps

• Like Like x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm getting that sinking feeling along with the Pens. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What a frigging game!!!!! TBH it has given me false hope but I love it. PENS have aged and I've no complaints with what they accomplished. They will not win this series with a third string goalie but he gave us a thrill. Playoff Hockey is a brutal long battle. PENS to old to hang with the younger strong teams but I tip my hat to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    On the road, 3 OT's and 3rd stringer in the net. Rangers have to be seething. :drinks: Almost like Pirates beating the almighty Yanks in the 1960 WS. ;)

Also 8th seed Caps beat the 1st seed Florida Panthers also on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Like Howard Cossell used to say, "That's why they play the games!" Lingren should be having a meeting with the Parros over that hit on Rakell. His shoulder made contact with his chin.

Pretty hard to be upset either way. They weathered the fierce hitting the first ten minutes or so, then the Pens slowly took the game over, especially in the second period. yes, the boys are getting old however, they've been here done this before. As far as I'm concerned, the pressure is on the Rangers. No matter what, I love this time of year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    3 OT's is way too late for me to stay up when I have to get ready for work at 4:30 am. 1st thing I did though after getting up was check the game score. Thank you Pens and what a great game winner from GENO!

LET'S GO PENS!

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I went to bed after the 2nd OT, about 11:15. Which is now late for me. I remember the '96 Washington game when Nedved scored in the 5th OT. I stayed up for that one, but I was a helluva lot younger then, lol. Weren't we all?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Respect to Crosby, Malkin and Letang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curious who calls it quits.

Growing old sucks! These guys brought amazing Hockey and Championships to the Burgh. Party is over for them. I'm convinced under current management the PENS will stay an above average NHL team.

No way we get out of first round. Injuries to our net minders ruined any chance at a Playoff run.

Rangers in 5 maybe 6.

Total respect for the Penguin organization and a big thank you for the Cups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Let's go Pens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Still the latest I ever stayed up watching a game and when Nedved scored I wad so pumped I didn't fall asleep for two more hours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If it's up to the three of them they aren't quitting any time soon. Unfortunately with the change in ownership and management keeping the core together isn't the marching order anymore. If I had to guess Geno will be first to go. Letang possibly injuries catch up to him and retire.

15. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    No doubt, same here. My wife woke me up to go to work and asked if I stayed up for the whole game. Well, hell yeah! Then I couldn't sleep I was so wound up. She just shook her head.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Pens blow a 3-goal lead, then the PK clamps down and restores all the momentum in the third. Danton Heinen, who could have been the goat had one of the two minors he took resulted in a go-ahead power play goal against, gets the game winner and then Jake Guentzel and Jeff Carter add empty netters. The way the Pens played defense after Heinen scored was textbook. They gave NY nothing. Louis Domingue looks awkward at times, and seems to take himself out of position, but he's a scrappy SOB. Shesterkin gets yanked after the first and I wonder if that will be in the back of his head for game 4. Did I mention how much I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs? Pens showing the heart of a champion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree the D picked it up after the Heinen goal but 2 of the Ranger goals never should have seen the light of day. As much as I ***** about our net minder problem he did a damn good job. The D in front of him failed him on two goals.

So so right about heart of a Champion. This is a team who's core is old and has lost it's goaltenders. I listened to the talking heads on NHL Network and believed we get our butt kicked in 4 or 5.

18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Domingue wasn't great, but he could've used some help in the second period. I'd like to see the Pens play a bit harder along the boards. They pass up too many hits. Jason Zucker didn't miss an opportunity to throw clean, hard checks last night, and it made a difference. Mark Madden suggested switching out Brian Boyle with Drew O'Connor Monday, and I couldn't agree more. I love BB, his passion for the game and his enthusiasm. However, he's too slow to be of much use against a great skating team like the Rangers. Conversely, I hope Gerard Gallant keeps wasting a forward spot with Ryan Reaves. Yes, he is an intimidating presence on the ice. However, he's a liability against the Pens speed and he's prone to skating himself out of the play looking for big hits. He's useful against bigger, heavier teams that like a tight checking, hard hitting game like Washington or St. Louis. Malkin made a terrific play on Heinen's game winner, but he needs to play a whole 60 minutes. I haven't seen that in the first three games. Mark Friedman hasn't been bad, but I hope Dumo can go Monday. His experience and consistency are big plusses on the blue line. It was also encouraging that Jarry worked out before the game. I'd guess that he'd be available sometime in the second round.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Jarry would be sweet if we get by Rangers.

20. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    it will be interesting to see the lines when Rakell comes back with Zucker presumably staying healthy. It was encouraging to see Jarry on the ice with gear on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Getting Rakell back would stabilize the first two lines.

I also have to mention Kapanaen who I seriously thought they might try to move before the trade deadline. He hasn't scored, but he's been hard on the puck and noticeable when he's been on the ice. He's also playing the body and he is getting chances. He deserves the criticism he's gotten during this past regular season, but he has played hard to date against the Rags. He keeps getting himself available for some of the looks he's had, they will start to go in. The team has had some adversity with injuries, especially to their numbers one and two goaltenders, but they are sticking together and playing hard for one another. It's a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  22. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    would be nice to see kappy get rewarded with another hat trick tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    He and Malkin have dumped a majority of the fancy European hockey moves and started going hard to the net and it shows. Geno is still trying the drop pass but he is putting it on net more and more.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Some one mentioned Mark Madden saying that Boyle should be a scratch in favor of Drew O'Connor and this game should be all the proof anyone needs to not listen to that blow hard. Boyle has been there done that and he knows his role. He might not have the wheels anymore but sometimes experience trumps youthful exuberance.

25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Jerry taking some shots, albeit from his knees

• Like Like x 2