1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Pickett have the arm strength to make all the throws?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 2, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is everything I saw in the video.

On the second pass I actually thought he was throwing to number 3.

Loved the tight window on the out pass. That was NFL Calibur arm strength and accuracy.

On the deep pass that was almost intercepted, I thought number 3 took a dive. IF #3 keeps going for the ball it would have been a massive collision.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    100% agree. They currently have the worst WR room in the NFL.

They did draft 2 more TE's after losing their star WR. Look out for a lot of 3 and 4 TE sets; if that is a thing???

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Those are His favorite receivers. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Their going 2 run the wishbone this year. LoL.

5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett has a stronger arm than Ben has had the last two seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    He has a stronger arm than Joe Burrow.
    Here is 53 yards off-platform:
    [​IMG]
    Two 10 yard outs/comebacks to the sideline from the opposite hash AKA the throws that move chains and win games.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #21's frustration always makes me laugh.
    /thread

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sadly that’s pretty accurate

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    "General" Pinkley: "Where are you from son?"
    Private: "Madison City Missouri Sir!"
    "General": "Never heard of it."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Say it aint so!!! :ACK!:

LOL No. Look at Deshaun's velocity:
    https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/
    Burrow did not throw at the combine but from what I could find his velocity is reported to be around 48 mph. Below average arm strength is part of his draft profile and Urban Meyer told Burrow he "throws like a girl" to which Burrow himself agreed.
    Neither he nor Watson are "a notch below" Herbert, Mahomes and Allen. They are two tiers down from them at least. No doubt you never looked it up you just guessed based on their reputations as good QBs that they have strong arms. That is how narratives get created and perpetuated. Research is the remedy to this. Embrace reality, reject narratives.

There is nothing lacking in Kenny's arm strength as I showed above.

LOL he always does. He has thrown a pick in every start vs us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is Why it's better 2 know where 2 go with the ball than....I can throw it a mile.

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Ok, stop the nonsense. Does he have an Aaron Rodgers arm? No, and there's maybe 3 or 4 that do.

Hey, I like the idea of a Mahomes who can throw it side arm, 40 yards, on a rope, dead on the money. Those guys are in short supply, and exceptionally hard to get for successful franchise's who never get's a top 10 pick.

His arm is better than Mac Jones arm. Who went 15th overall, 5th qb taken, and had a great rookie season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. He's not going to make those crazy throws like Mahomes. He doesn't really try if you watch him. One thing Pickett does well is he gets his body in a good position to throw with proper mechanics even when he is on the run. I think that is where we are running into so many arguments on the board. Some posters think the next quarterback has to be able to throw like Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers. The problem is you won't often find that. You may get close with a guy like Willis, but then you are sacrificing the other things that make those guys special. He has serious flaws in his game, the sort that don't usually get fixed at the pro level. Just because Allen did it doesn't mean everybody can. He's an outlier.

What these people don't get is that Pickett's upside isn't Carr. It's Burrow. I know he's a long shot to get there, but when you look at physical tools, that is his closest comp in the NFL, and that includes arm strength.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My wife has a stronger arm than his last two games

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    More like backed into the playoffs, but the point remains.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Overlooked is that Pickett has to command the offense and build that trust with his receivers.
    They have to trust him to throw the ball to the right place and he has to trust them to be in the right place.
    And that communication thing that Ben had with his guys, he would read the defense and look at the Rec'r and they knew where to go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that wasn’t such a strong point his last couple seasons, seemed to be a lot of miscommunication between him and his receivers.

One thing for sure, they have surrounded Pickett with weapons to help him succeed.

18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I agree.
    The past 2 years weren't pretty. They kind of knew the plays were there, but that arm surgery really hurt Ben's accuracy and power as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett seemed to be able to do that well at Pitt. It may take some time to get there with an entirely new group of receivers, especially ones who are older and more experienced than him, but all rookie quarterbacks have to deal with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is a hurdle.
    Ben in the past, had that Vulcan mind meld thing with the entire offense for that matter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It’s a minor hurdle and one every quarterback faces with a new team. It’s also one that a lot of quarterbacks have to face on a yearly basis. Not an entirely new set of receivers and backs, but you lose players to graduation, transfers, free agency, retirement…

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Especially with AB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We should have saved a pick, and just brought Her in. Surely She would give the Hometown discount. So We could save on the cap,and bring more players in. :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    True.
    But you might not know it, but I came from Washington... I've seen something like different 32 or 40 QB's line up behind center and not have a clue.
    lol....

• Like Like x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    One thing I didn't see in these videos, which was admittedly a very small sample size, was his ability to step up in the pocket and make throws down the field. Most of his throws shown were from a relatively clean pocket. Not suggesting at all that he can't but that will have to be an important part of his game should our line have the same repeat issues as last year.