1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett/trubisky rotation?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 2, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly, Steelers were never going to wait on a QB, they were taking one in the first regardless, it was just a matter of who was available to them. They got their pick of the litter and took the one they liked most, the one they knew the best from having him in their building for 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, the evidence just doesn't support this. As I mentioned, just because they have a first-round grade on a guy doesn't mean they are going to take him. Remember, they insisted they had a first-round grade on Rudolph, too.

That said, I know I brought Dulac into the discussion, but he lost my faith the moment he contradicted himself.

On the off chance that you are correct, and I don't think you are, the Steelers were very lucky that nobody snagged Pickett ahead of them. If that had happened, they would have wasted a first-round pick on a third-round player. This time we know for a fact that Willis is a third-round player.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So what you are saying is that Tom Brady, being the 6th round player is not actually a #1 overall talent of his draft class?

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Having a big arm does not equate to far superior traits. If that were the case Jim Drunkenmiller would be in the Hall of Fame.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I realize you are trying to drive your point home, but this far superior traits argument is silly. Willis has a big arm and runs like a running back. Besides those two things, Kenny Pickett is hands down better in every single area. It is not even close.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    They wanted a QB. They needed a QB. Having the entire QB class available to them at 20 was a luxury they couldn’t pass up. They didn’t have to mortgage the future (ie. Bush) or settle/reach (ie. Burns, Edmunds) to fill a position of need

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That is, of course, assuming that both would be ready to step in and be the man after one year of sitting. Maybe they felt Willis was 2 or 3 years of development away, or not at all?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I could have sworn that Dulac had said that before the draft as well. What is the quote you spoke of that you says contradicts himself? I don’t remember what it said exactly.

Steelers would have taken one of the QB’s available, it’s pretty obvious they were intent on doing that, one of the top 4 guys anyway and possibly even Ridder.

Doesn’t matter to me that your keep calling Willis a 3rd rd player, sadly he is likely to be among the top QB’s in this league and the Steelers missed it. Now all we can do is hope Pickett can be everything they think he is.

Thank you.

Actually he is and is pretty widely believed. It was the rest of his game that is in question, can he learn to play the position. His talent as the best in the class wasn’t never in doubt. He’s the most athletic and the best arm. His arm is sick, it kills me you guys don’t see that. ****ing jumps off the tape.

I understand you all want to believe Pickett was the best choice and I truly hope he is but I seriously doubt he ends up better than Willis.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Blast you seem to be forgetting the fact that Malik Willis was not even the 2nd QB taken. Desmond Ridder was. Anything that was widely believed was done so by people who do not matter. Clearly every NFL team disagrees with you, or Willis would not have been the 3rd guy off the board and last until almost the 4th round.

BTW, if the Steelers had passed on Pickett, what makes anyone think they would not have drafted Ridder? They showed just as much if not more interest in Ridder and he was the next guy off the board.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No. What I'm saying is that if one GM could go back in time and know what Brady would be, they could still draft him in the fifth round.

Wilis is a third-round player. That's when he was drafted. Some of you can't seem to accept that, but the Steelers would have been making a big mistake if they took him in the first, two rounds earlier than necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dulac said before the draft that the Steelers had only one quarterback they would take in the first round. He predicted it was Willis, but he didn't know.

Willis is a third-round player. That's when he was drafted. If he does pan out, which is not nearly as likely as you think it is, it still would have been stupid to take him in the first round when they could have drafted him in the third.

There is very little evidence suggesting that Willis will be among the top quarterbacks in the NFL. For one thing, despite the big arm, he's not a very good passer right now. In college, he made poor decisions and missed on open throws even against ****ty competition. The guys that make these choices, the NFL GMs, scouts, and coaches, agree with me. That is why he fell to the third round.

We all see that Willis's arm is outstanding, but if you watch the two of them with any objectivity, Pickett is the much better quarterback and it isn't close. It isn't about wanting to believe Pickett is the better choice. It is understanding that Willis would have been a terrible choice in the first round.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dead on with this. If You could go back in time ....You know Brady is going in the 6th....So You fix the bad picks You may have made in the earlier rounds, pick the Guys You know turned out, and Take Brady in the 5th. :thumbs_up:

13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Oh OK.......Let me see if I get it right now. The Steelers would have been making a "big mistake" if they had taken the GOAT in the 4th round.

Dude, you spin your narrative more than a $7,000 washer machine ever could.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s not really even that. To me, he just doesn’t seem to have that IT factor which is crucial for a franchise quarterback. The team doesn’t really seem to rally around him and the offense just seems kind of humdrum when he’s the quarterback. He’ll have some good throws and then he’ll throw lollipops and miss wide open receivers. He typically throws a good deep ball but his anticipatory throws are lacking. He comes across as somewhat stiff and rigid and seems like he’s trying to be too perfect. Even in interviews he comes across that way. I like him and hope he finds success. But his time in the burgh is done.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't like any of the QBs in this draft... to me Pickett is another Mason. I pray I am wrong.

I'm not really understanding the whole Willis is a 3rd rounder because he was drafted in the 3rd.... of course that is true.. but it's semantics.

Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, heck even Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds are round 1 picks... but you will be hard pressed to find many that think they should have been.

As for Dulac... is it not possible that he received new info after the draft? Scribe keeps saying there is no proof... but if you look back at my posts....I said many times....I hope they pass on all the qbs... but it's pretty obvious they are set on taking one... Colbert literally said I'm going to get the next QB before I go. I must of got that impression from somewhere.....Dulac didn't do anything but confirm what I thought we already all knew.

Willis and Ridder....heck I think even Carl Strong has a chance at being a better QB than Pickett.... that doesn't mean I'm rooting against him... I became a fan as soon as his name was called.... all it means is he has to earn it from me.... and if he does... nothing will make me happier than coming in here and saying how wrong I was about him.

HACK

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I can't wait to see Pickett prove all the naysayers wrong but it will probably take 2-3 years if fans can be patient. I'd start Trubisky and let him roll out of the pocket while defenses stuff the running game again. Next draft get some run blocking to support the pass game. Failure to really address the run blocking in the draft while wasting day 3 away will set this team back next season unless these FA's step up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Pickett is more like Trubisky than he is Rudolph. They are both much more mobile than Rudolph.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why? If Trubisky plays better than Mason, why keep Mason? He is on his last year of his contract. This was supposed to be "the year" for Mason to get his chance to be starter, and we just drafted 2 QB's (one in the first) and signed another. Its pretty obvious he isn't in the Steelers' plans for the future, and it's pretty obvious how the Steelers feel about his ability (he's had his chances to impress). Time to move on from him and I'm sure he would welcome the change in scenery as well.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    spent a good chunk of change on those FA's for interior linemen... I certainly hope they step up. We weren't getting any 2022 starters on our interior line from the 5-7 round picks anyways. If Cole and Daniels don't help, we will have the 2023 FA period and draft to try again.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking along the line of dollars and familiarity with “the system”. Trubisky would be a more expensive option, Mason cheaper, if they are just here to be a backup.

Although:

1) Trubisky has a $5.24MM signing bonus and that would be a lot to throw away.

2) The system Mason knows is a system designed around a prehistoric quarterback who is now gone. Therefore both Mason and Trubisky are on a level field there.

• Like Like x 2
  21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    you can say the same about Mason. Both need to save their careers.

mitch was considered an elite nfl qb coming out of college and he’s now on his 3rd team in 5 years after brutally stinking in chicago. Mason has never been given the opportunities Mitch had but also has struggled.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not sure how acurate that is... we heard many times last year that if was Ben attempting to run Canada's offense. It's why many of us are critical of him as OC. He didn't try to design an offense around his HOF QB..... he tried to make his 40 year old QB run his system. Sure Ben got to help pick the plays he preferred.... every QB does. But Canada wants to run that college O. z honestly every aging QB might AGE himself out of it as their mobility fades

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have seen this tried a few times. The Tommy Maddox-Shawn Moore fiasco comes to mind. I hope we don't get to that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't need any spin here. The actual draft proves me right. I said before the draft that they should not draft Wilis in the first round and I was proven correct. He fell to late in the third round, so if they had wanted him, they could have gotten him much later.

At least my argument isn't predicated on the insane implication that Willis somehow belongs in a category with Tom Brady. See? I can draw ridiculous implications from your posts, too!

To go with something more grounded in reality, by your logic, the Steelers should have just done what Chuck Noll wanted and taken John Stallworth in the first round in 1974. Sure, it would have cost them Lynn Swann and maybe a Super Bowl or two. It would have cost them the greatest draft of all time. But hey, he is a Hall of Famer, so taking him in the first round couldn't have been wrong, right?

You keep playing games. I don't need games. I was right. The facts back me up.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    As the circumstances change, my opinion changed as well. I was vehemently against getting Willis in the first. Passing on him in the 3rd is another story.

• Like Like x 1