1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, May 2, 2022.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Hopefully, maybe, Buddy Johnson is coming around and can get some serious reps this year.

I'm not expecting much from the new guy. He's more of a buck anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear You..., but I guess better 2 have Him have a great season, and lose Him 2 FA...than Him suck, and We just let Him go....at least We get a great season out of it....LoL...I'm trying 2 see the bright side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    What's the Mendoza Line for Devin Bush to get another Steeler contract? I think he has to eclipse what he did his rookie year. What say you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think I asked before...is that You in the Avatar, and I believe You said No, and gave Me a name of who it was, or was that a different picture???

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    He’d have to make a ton of splash plays, create a ton of turnovers, and make the pro bowl for me to even consider a 2nd contact. He quit on a lot of plays last year, man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That was a different photo, of the late Ronnie Tobias at Penn National. This photo is at the former Reading, Pa. Fairgrounds of the great Kenny Brightbill in either '78 or '79. At a time when store bought cars were becoming all the rage, Kenny built that car and won, by his own estimate about 80 races with it, including some big money shows. Sadly, those days are long gone in dirt track racing. I post these photos in the NFL offseason of past and present racing heroes of mine, both local and national. Something different.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That was what I thought as well. there was a specific play that mad me throw an empty water bottle where he couldn't get off of a block on a running play and just jogged to a stop instead of pursuing. That had nothing to do with his ACL and everything to do with heart.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless he has a revelation of some sort, rededication to his trade. His Steeler
    days are numbered. Have to be able to shed blockers and be somewhat competent in
    his pass coverage. As of today 5-2-2022 he has not acquired these skills to suit the Pgh Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I hate to say it but when he was drafted #1 by the Steelers and we traded up to get him I was shocked. I was even more disappointed when I actually saw his size. I knew at that moment he would never be the man in the middle we needed. Say what you will but a MLB has to have more than speed. He has shown that he does not and will not ever have the size to shed the blocks of OL or fill the hole and stuff RB's that are bigger than him. This was a massive reach by the organization and it was a complete failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He's right there with Jarvis and Edmunds for being terrible 1st round picks, that you could see were terrible in the moment. I never understood why they liked him. Oh well, no one is perfect. Maybe we see the miracle turnaround this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I have not marked Devin Bush off as a "Failure" but more of a disappointment.
    I hate picking LB's in the early first round. There's a few out there deserving but they are almost the exception.
    And of course, trading up from 20th to 10th pick was not the best plan.

Bush was playing at a Pro Bowl Level that rookie season.
    He started 2020 looking like he was taking it up a level till Cleveland.
    2021 was terrible - he was part of the rushing defense ranked dead last. He often looked cautious when navigating through traffic and his angles weren't crisp as they were in 2019.
    He gave up passing lanes in pass defense.

Maybe it's the recovery time or maybe it's the idea of it happening again.
    I don't blame the Steelers for not picking up the 5th year option for a 10th pick whose given you 1 year of very good play and 1 year of not so good play with a year on the couch sandwiched in-between.
    I am hoping the injury escapes his mind and he produces a return to excellence in 2022 as he's playing for a new contract, be it here or elsewhere.
    If not, well, sometimes you make a bad decision, sometimes you don't.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dodged another bullet there.

Obviously the Steelers brass agreed that his knee was a small part of the issue last season. Anyone with eyes saw the subpar play of the fashion plate and it wasn't the knee that was the real issue.

Maybe this will light a fire under his @ss. Maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks for answering. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He may just wind up getting an Edmunds contract

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    From Rays chat in response to a question about not picking up Bush’ option.

Ray Fittipaldo: It's everything. The knee didn't respond as they had hoped. He's not the QB of the defense. And, as you mentioned, there have been some issues with his maturity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well that about says it all. All aspects. Not a positive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Roy Gerela was my insurance agent after his Steeler career ended. Devin Bush will be lucky to be turning hot dogs at Heinz Field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That doesn't sound good. Man after His rookie season I had high hopes for the kid.

19. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I think he's overwhelmed. He's not reacting, he's thinking. And I also feel like maybe the psychological effects of the knee injury might have taken some of the passion he had for the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess we know what position is in play for the 1st pick next draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe You are probably dead on.:thumbs_up:

22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I wonder if KC and MT would've drafted Nakobe Dean

• Like Like x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Ray hit a point I forgot. "He's not the QB of the Defense"
    A LB taken that high, should have leadership.
    The maturity issues, I don't know so much about... but I did hate that suit he wore when he was drafted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember that suit. I also remember him mixing it up with fans on social media. I’m not too hard on players for giving **** back to fans, so many of them can act like real scumbags towards players but when you put everything together it does signal a lack of maturity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    The Steelers have declined the 5th year option of three of their last four number one picks. Except for TJ Watt

• Informative Informative x 2