1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft impressions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you ever get tired of sounding so ridiculous? No, that is not obvious at all about Pickett. I'm not sure there is any reasonable person who doesn't think he has can be a starter in this league. That's what the entire high-floor thing is about. The question is if he can be a top-10 or even top-15 quarterback.

That is a huge, relatively-unsupported claim regarding Pickens being a head case.

Heyward is a player. Maybe he is only a special teamer, but I think the floor is Jaylen Samuels, but Heyward is quicker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No doubt but that doesn’t make him a project. You don’t draft projects in the 3rd rd and he was projected to go in rd 2 so thats great value. Plus he has 1st rd talent but the things you have touched on have dragged him down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oddly enough, personality issue are supposedly the reason why he fell that far. I don't think they were going to take an edge rusher that high. Hill would have made a lot more sense if they didn't get Pickett. Think Mike Hilton as the floor, but with some real upside.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope Dale got it right this time. With the addition of Jack inside and the return of Tuitt, the defense could be outstanding. Tuitt would make the the pass rush even tougher to deal with, and more importantly, he is an outstanding run defender. That is where Wormley seems to fall short. He makes the occasional big play, but he doesn't hold up at the point of attack nearly as well as Tuitt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?

Who is stating he is a project?! He is far from that. Heck, I still had him as a Top 75 player when it was all said and done. He could have been a Top 50 player if there was more consistent performances in 2021.

6. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    it has been said already, but I wanted at least ONE offensive lineup to compete in camp.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

One Offensive Lineup?

I do not believe I follow. You mean Lineman?

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Correction regarding Leal.

He was a First Team All American in 2021.. not 2020. In addition, he was First Team All SEC.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    When I look at this draft I look at it in totality with last years and what they’re up to and my opinion of it goes way up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Okay my opinion on the UDFA's are starting to rise a bit...

Bryce Watts looks like a decent corner that might have slipped through the cracks due to COVID and circumstance.

Chris Owens looks like a massive tackle.

Jaylen Warren seems like a pretty hard running RB.

Donovan Jeter might be a NT for us.

I still don't like our actual day 3 picks though.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Where’s yours?

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    For all those upset by the 7th round picks; read that again. Then, remember this, they were 7th round picks, not 1st round picks. And, dare I say, they weren’t punters.

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Pickett - I did not like any of the QBs enough to take one in the early rounds. The fact that other QB needy teams passed until the 3rd round makes me worry I might be right. All of my guys but Devin Lloyd were gone by 20. I would have liked to see them trade up for Hamilton when he started to slide .. I would have taken Lloyd.. or maybe 6 other guys.... but this was obviously the guy they wanted. ..I hope they are right

Pickens - I like Pickens. Can't complain.. but I like Skyy Moore more....I would have taken Moore as I think he could replace DJ if he wants to much cash...I think Skyy would have been like replacing JUJU and Ray Ray with one guy with an eye on the future

Leal - again not much to complain about. I keep seeing people mention Tuitt, but I feel we just did a nice job with that with Loudermilk. I would have gone Myjai Sanders to play behind Highsmith. Paying TJ and soon to be Minkah. Highsmith like Bud before him may price himself out of town

Austin - i like the kid..a little worried about his small frame.. but we will see. I would have gone CB Tarig Woolen....I feel the Skyy Moore pick would have covered the Austin role allowing a CB to be picked up

Also how did the Ravens get every other pick in the 4th round? Lol

Heyward - I think we all saw this coming.... no surprise

Robinson - guess they see something in him.... I see practice squad special teamer at best

Oladokun - they wanted a camp arm they got one...I feel he was brought in with the scout team in mind. I feel we got a lot of the same guy in the QB room....I would have added Carl Strong...I feel he at least brings sobering different.

overall you can't complain much.. they did what they planned and while i think there might have been better talent on the board.. only time will tell.

HERE WE GO:towel:

HACK

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Leal is going to play DE, they might want him to put on weight because they like their DEs to be around 300lbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's all going to be determined by how good Pickett is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Steelers D line has always been a hybrid setup. Because one of the OLB's go down sometimes which makes the DE in name only

In reality, They aren't 3-4, Nickle, Dime.......they are the Steelers formation

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I can’t get excited about a bunch of kids who have never played a snap in the NFL

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

Fair enough!!! :drinks:

You have known for a long time on this site good sir!!! I usually get excited about these players; too much so in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    upload_2022-5-1_21-32-59.jpeg

Not saying CA3 will become Tyreek Hill but some of his best games in college??... some of the comps are credible for certain.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Lies old man....Lies....You know Your excited.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    Let's face it, an NFL team's eras now are mostly defined by its quarterbacks. So yes, I'm excited to see what our next era will look like. I mean, why wouldn't you be? Unless, of course, we have another 1998 - 2000 run, that is. But why think like that beforehand? If that's the type of person you are, always expecting doom, why not just take up gardening or crochet or some such and be done with it?

But for me, bring on the new era. Let's see where it takes us.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They seem similar athletically. Looks like Tyreek might have a bit of a higher top speed, but Austin looks like he gets to that top speed a hair quicker, and might be a bit shiftier. It also appears that the Ravens were intent on taking Austin3 with the very next pick after us... so for all the groans on draft night of the Ravens taking all the players yinz wanted, it looks like we got one that they wanted.

I hope we use Austin all over the field as a WR weapon, and don't just shoe horn him in on reverses and trick plays. He looks the part on offense, so it would be nice to develop him in the slot and a bit outside so he can become a legitimate WR threat. The size doesn't worry me as much as it would have 10-15 years ago. Its so hard for CB's to get physical and you don't see these guys taking as many hard hits as they used to at the WR position (I can't remember when AB took a clean shot ever, aside from Burfict's cheap shot in the playoffs). I think he could be a useful weapon and maybe even turn into a poor man's Tyreek Hill. Which would be excellent for a 4th round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    I very rarely post to threads here. I am a huge Steelers fan, but can readily admit to being far less knowledgeable than the folks making the decisions. I have seen every Steeler superbowl and have only missed a dozen or so games in my LIFE on TV. I feel like we may need to kiss a few(or a bunch)of frogs before we find our next Ben. It is simply NOT possible to sit back and snipe the next Brady or Montana....oh forgive me...I am sure that Benny Lava could do it(dude makes me vomit). Trust me, nobody here knows as much as they would like the rest of us to believe they do. The best part is the folks who make absolute FACT out of their prediction for the future. Y'all make me laugh out loud! The team did a respectable job in filling holes. NOBODY knows what they have up their sleeve for future roster movement. I never agree with 100% of what they do, but I am humble enough to admit that they know way more than me or any single person on this website for that matter...period. I love to read differing opinions, but some of y'all a little to full of yourselves(Benny L).

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1