1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Half of Mac Jones teammates during his time at Alabama are playing in the NFL or will be soon. The Patriots picked Mac because that's all they could get. It is what it is.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Spoken like someone who doesn't understand that there is more to playing quarterback than physical tools. I like Jurkovic, but he hasn't shown that he can actually play the position at a high level on the college level, much less in the pros.

Clearly, they weren't forced into drafting a quarterback. They took Pickett because they believe he can be their guy. The point of Trubisky was that they wouldn't have been forced to settle for a third-round value like Willis or Ridder in the first if Picket had been gone.

Also, unfortunately, they were never going to take Linderbaum. Look at the team's history. They didn't go to his pro day, so they weren't going to take him. That doesn't mean they were right, but I would have rather had Hill in the first round, anyway.

Also, those quarterbacks were drafted, so they were valued. Also, we have no idea if any other team valued Pickett as a late first-rounder. The Steelers didn't give them the chance.

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    That's any qb at a sec school so I don't see your point about the talent he had. And They didn't have to pick him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is fine to think that, but the evidence just isn't there to back it up. Some of those sources were absolutely ridiculous. Didn't one of them have Strong as the No. 1 quarterback? The guy who wasn't drafted at all? That is not a credible source of information.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't definite at all, but you are welcome to continue to be wrong.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is multiple links there though Scribe, it’s not like all of them are the same source. And that was a 10 second search, I could find lots more. Not only was Pickett not a consensus number 1 QB in the draft, he was barely seen as that at all. Like I said, the only ranking I saw him as #1 was Walter Football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why are You pointing this out 2 Me???:shrug:
    I'm confused :shrug:

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lol. I said if you get it wrong it can set you back 5 to 10 years back when Trubisky was signed and ended up in a month long debate.... I won't fall for that again lol

My problem with Pickett, and Trubisky, and even Oladokun. None are obviously better than Mason.. or at the time Haskins.

Even now the coaches are saying all 4 will compete for the job.

If Trubisky or Mason light it up... then Pickett turns into Jordan Love

If Pickett wins the job.... then the star free agent was a huge mistake

I know the thought process.. throw as many QBs against the wall and pray you got one right

It's 2 people playing lotto... one plays his families birthdays and that's it. The other plays $20 and let's the computer pick the numbers

I kind of like the guy who believes with all his heart he has the only ticket he needs...vs the guy who just hopes he gets lucky.

as the saying goes.. if you have 2 QBs then you don't have 1

Time will tell.... if they drafting another QB by 2026.. guess we will know.

HACK

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's not definite that someone was going to pick him either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He wasn't universally regarded as #1. Like last yr. It wasnt even a debate or thought that Lawrence was in fact the best qb in the class. Pickett was not a consensus. It's not ridiculous as he's not impressive. He's solid but he doesn't blow anyone away. But let's see what he does in the nfl first.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Have any more popcorn to share?

Sharing is caring y'know.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    While it's more to playing qb than physical tools, if you look at all the current best qbs besides Brady, they all are very talented physically.

It's why Mac Jones went 5th last yr despite being the most polished and nfl ready qb of the class including Lawrence. His upside and talent wasn't there.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Comparing the Pro Readiness of Trevor Lawrence to Mac Jones is the equivalent of comparing the speed of a Bugatti Chiron Super Sport vs. a 2019 Corvette ZR1; both are fast and built for the track but one is, by far and away, the superior track racing machine.

Trevor Lawrence was a unicorn since his Freshman Year at High School; many of college and NFL scouts considered a QB once seen every generation. All the more reason he was hailed as a transcendent prospect by many; myself included. I am still holding onto that belief for Lawrence as Urban Meyer is, by far and away, the worst NFL Head Coach.... ever. Whoever is a close second... is not even a close second; 2008 Ron Marinelli and 2017 Hue Jackson included. If anything and, as far as I am concerned, 2021 does not count for Trevor. 2022 and beyond will... though I still have doubts about a coach who quit on his team in Doug Pederson.

For reference, Terry Bradshaw was the consensus number one overall pick in the 1970 Draft. To get him, it came down to a coin flip between the Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers; Chuck Noll vs. Jim Dooley. Imagine how Terry's career would have been if Chicago nabbed him with Dooley!

• Like Like x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lawrence is better than Mac but my point is Mac was called the most pro ready out of not just Lawrence but everyone in the draft and went 5th behind everyone. Lance even sat last yr because he was considered not ready but all were more talented than Mac.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Except that, again, this is incorrect.

Lawrence, once again, was the unicorn among unicorns; a term used by scouts on prospects that seemingly have no major and notable weaknesses. You said it yourself; Mac Jones is Pro Ready... but that is it. Lawrence was also Pro Ready but so much more.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, two of them listed Strong as the number one quarterback. They are a joke. I'm just saying that if you are going to present something as evidence, try looking through it at least a little.

I never said he was the consensus number one, but again, that does not mean that he is a third-rounder just because Willis fell that far. They are just too different to lump them together like that. Willis is a much bigger risk to be a bust. I'm not sure anybody out there would say differently.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yet he was a first-round draft pick.

Also, I reject your implication that Pickett is not very talented physically. He has the size for the position. He is as fast as Wilis. His arm isn't on the same level as Willis, but this isn't Mason Rudolph, either. The guy has an NFL arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I grant you Pickett is not a prospect on the level of Trevor Lawrence. The Steelers did not get a guy who should have gone No. 1 overall at 20. How dare they!?!

19. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Yet we took no OT’s don’t get it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    18 dislikes and counting?

Yikes!!!

Might pass up the site record soon!!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    how on gods green earth is signing trubisky to a very team friendly contract a huge mistake? They can walk away from the deal without blinking an eye. If they had given him a contract similar to Mayfield then it might be a mistake.

two quarterbacks? We don’t have a starter yet. That will be determined in training camp. If two of them light it up then maybe we have a problem;however, to some it might be a good problem to have. Lord knows I would rather have two quarterbacks lighting it up than none.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I did look through it and even commented on CBS ranking, did you not see that or do you just like to be condescending and confrontational to everyone.

You don’t like that I presented multiple links that show Pickett was not the number one ranked QB so you make up bs to discredit it. It doesn’t matter how ridiculous some of those rankings are it still shows what people thought of Pickett as a prospect.

If players ranked higher than him could drop to the 3rd it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out so could Pickett who has plenty of question marks of his own.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is interesting. You could say the city of Pittsburgh has 4 Super Bowls and 3 Stanley Cups due to a coin flip. May be off here but I think the Penguins got Crosby because of a coin flip.

Although the 70 Steelers may have won with a different QB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Once again where a member of the media ranks a player isn’t worth a hill of beans. Very few have spent time actually scouting players. Fewer still have spent the hours or days an nfl scout has on a player. Both scouts and the talking heads are giving their opinion. However, a scout’s opinion should carry far more weight than any talking head. Look at kiper. He’s declared numerous quarterbacks to be the next member of the hof and those players end up being at the bottom of the barrel. He’s also labeled players as busts when they turn out to have hof caliber careers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously teams didn’t have very high grades on any of these QB’s. If other teams had a first rd grade on Pickett they would have taken him before 20. Saints chose right before them, never would have passed that up. None of these guys were highly thought of as the draft results showed.

Steelers may have not had a 1st rd grade on him either but they were never going to wait and see if he made it to their second pick. They liked him the most and he was there at 20 and that’s all that mattered. I have no problem with that. If you think a guy is your franchise QB you have to take him as soon as you can.

For the sake of this argument though, he would have fell out of the first with all the rest of them had the Steelers not drafted him there.

• Agree Agree x 1