1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we cut mason? (Cap space?)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 1, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have seen what happens when you trade your 3rd string QB (Dobbs) and only keep 2 on your roster. You watch Ben and then Mason go down and end up with a Duck starting.

Unless Mason is demanding a trade there is no reason to get rid of him. If Haskins or Dobbs was still here then we would have the extra QB to throw away.

In this day and age you really need a quality #3 QB on your roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Pickett is going to start. Trubisky at QB2. Toss up for QB3. Mason knows the system, but will he mentor the other 2? He just doesn’t seem like that guy. Just something about Mason I can’t get behind. Gut tells me the 7th rounder gets QB3.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Yeah, your right. We need to sign at least 3 more quarterbacks. Just in case 5 go down

4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Agreed

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We are going to carry 3 QBs on the final 53 man roster and you believe a kid who Colbert could not even pronounce his name correct after multiple tries last night is the answer?

I don't think Colbert even knew who this kid was: It was like the first time he had ever said his name aloud.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Would you give a 5th for him?

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cutting Mason puts this team behind the eight ball in terms of depth at the position. Having that 4th QB heading into Training Camp could prove fruitful should one of the QBs go down in Training Camp or even OTAs. Only way Mason is out of here is if a team is desperate enough to warrant a trade for him to be a backup option.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO, but I don't think You trade the only Qb You actually have...
    1. Seen play on this team, and with the players....
    2. Is the only Qb on the team that has actually Won games with the team, and....
    3. The only Qb that knows the verbiage.
    Again....just My opinion. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben was the #3 heading into his rookie year.... then Batch got hurt . Then Maddox got hurt.

Unless Pickett destroys them all... he is probably #3 this season

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, No, No.... You can't compare them at all.

Ben came out a year early and had to learn an entire new offense. Ben won his first Superbowl at the age of 23.

Kenny is coming out a year late and has been running this offense since 2017. Kenny was just drafted at age 23.

There is no reason for the Steelers to hold Picket out this year to help him mature. He has no more growing up to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You are serious....I agree. I think the quicker We can get Him out there the better.....of course unless He sucks in camp, and preseason. Which I pray He doesn't.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No. But some GM that has known he has some limited starting experience might have bought the 1st round grade :lolol:

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The choices for Mason are:
    1) He stays on the team, presumably as QB #3, and the SD St QB gets cut. Kevin Colbert used his final draft pick like a $100 bill to light a cigar

2) Mason gets traded. But he’s not in high demand. Other interested teams might figure on waiting for him to get cut. If not, what’s he fetch? A 7th rounder in 2024.

3) Mason gets cut. The Steelers could decide to let him find another spot, since there’s no room here.

what other choices are there? I thought at the time that the reindeer was a sap for signing an extension with Pitt. Looks like he was. I can’t see Mason being in a Steeler uniform on opening day.

14. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Anything is a possibility but I will bet he does not get cut or traded. If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow. He's not as bad as some of you make him out to be but yinzer folklore has branded him otherwise. Add him to the long list of hated scapegoat QBs, which amounts to every QB who has ever suited up for the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    And there's only a 10% chance of that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    You guys have spent the afternoon smoking crack if you think Mason is gonna win the starting job. Management has zero confidence in this guy contrary to what they may be saying. They picked up three quarterbacks in three months.His feeling's will be hurt and he'll probably be gone..He should have flashed something by now...jmo

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My Crystal Ball is having a meltdown today.

It says Mason will end up with the Cleveland Browns, and Josh Dobbs will return to be the #3 QB in Pittsburgh before the season starts.

Hey, don't blame me, I am just telling you what I am seeing.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Im not saying hold him out but to say he has peaked at 23 is absurd

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He seems pretty mature to me, compared to say Ben as a rookie. I liked when he said he went back to Pitt his 5th year, because he still had things to learn.

I just don't understand everyone wanting to hold him out his rookie season, simply because he is a rookie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    In response to the Original Question:
    Good God NO! :)
    Mason knows this offense and should Mitch go down, you're going to need him.
    Should Pickett beat them both out - Still, Mason knows this offense. It does present an issue in that Mason or Mitch would not dress on Sunday.
    But I would wait to get to the end of camp before any final decision.
    I would want to keep the best 3 out of the bunch, competition decides that.
    So I guess if Pickett beat them out, the loser at the 2 spot is up for trade or more likely, cut.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can’t believe that the offense we saw last year is the offense we’ll run moving forward with Matt Canada. If it is then we are in deep Doo Doo. With that said I’m sure we can move on from Mason

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I kind of agree, sort of.
    He did fail to step up to the plate while Ben was out.
    The only real caution flag I'm tossing is, Mitch is a question mark.
    I think, how it plays out, is that Pickett has a strong enough showing to either start or be the backup this year.
    That leaves Mason as odd man out unless he proves he can beat Mitch (I have my doubts)

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

That hardly seems like a ringing endorsement of Trubisky or Pickett. It seems to me if you have an experienced NFL QB like Mitch, and a 24 yr old NFL ready 1st round pick, why do you need to keep the guy you lost faith in?

Not bagging on Mason, but over the last 2 yrs, the team has given every sign they’re done with him. Keeping a declining Ben, signing Trubisky, drafting Pickett, using a 7th on QB #4, unless they feel the need to torture him further, let him go and let him find a situation where he can revive his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You know people wouldn't say these things if it hadn't already happened at least twice in the last dozen years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    No offense to big Ben, but he was a problem of that. And he isn't here anymore.

So unless it continues to happen, then we address it then. But we're better off having more backups on other positions.

• Agree Agree x 2