1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett analysis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Apr 29, 2022.

1. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

If Pickett is 3rd on the depth chart come the first game, Tomlin needs to fire himself and Art needs to sell the team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh the old Tomlin is infallible argument. So you must feel they have never been wrong on any draft pick.

It’s more than hand size but its not even just hand size, its why he doesn’t measure bigger and it’s because he has a ****ed up thumb, it literally doesn’t open all the way and has to wear that glove.

He lets his wrist get floppy and doesn’t lock it in.

There are questions whether he can process fast enough at the pro level. While it’s a strength of his at the college level, he took over 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, that would have been the slowest among all pro QB’s last year. Holding the ball too long invites pressure.

There is his age, was his lone good season because he was playing against younger competition or did he really grow that much in one season? His two previous season were terrible.

There is more but as I said, don’t feel like doing this again. Willis has superior QB traits, its not even debatable, you are in a division loaded with QB’s, you should take the guy that can measure up to them. Could Willis be a complete bust and not reach his potential, yup but many people feel Picketts ceiling isn’t high enough. I prefer to swing for the fences.

Go to the first page of this thread and half way down, JT O’sullivan explain is it. In the draft forum is Chis Simms rankings, he breaks down Picketts game and in a later video moved Willis ahead of Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Compared to the competition Willis played against at Liberty, the teams Pickett played against are like NFL teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I watch M. Willis play in one SEC game against one of the worst teams, and got not only spanked, but down right embarrassed. 0 passing TDs,and 3 ints. My Brother ,and I were watching, and laughing....People want us 2 draft this guy.???
    2 be Honest @Blast Furnace ....I also worried about Pickett hands,and not just size, but that thumb.....I pray My worries are for nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

He threw for 42 Tds in the same weather and stadium he will be throwing as a Pro. That should tell you all you need to know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Marino choked in big games. Never won a title at any level even high school where QBs dominate play. Stats don't lie:

'83 playoff team vs Seattle 2 Ints 77.6 QBR
    '84 SB vs SF 2 ints 66.9 QBR
    '85 vs NE at home 2 ints 54.9 QBR
    '90 vs Buffalo 2 ints 72.1 QBR
    '92 vs Buffalo at home 2 ints 56.5 QBR

The only playoff loss he played well
    '94 vs SD 0 ints 109.8 QBR

1995 vs Buffalo 3 ints 63.4 QBR
    1997 vs NE 2 ints 29.3 QBR!
    1998 vs Denv 2 ints 65.5 QBR
    1999 vs Jax 2 ints 34.6 QBR!

Two-interception Marino was a big game choking turnover machine!

Never had a defense??? Five times in his career Marino had a top 10 defense in points allowed. Three times he had a top five defense. Twice he had a defense that led the league in fewest points allowed. How'd that work out for two-turnover Danny?

Marino played for not just one but TWO hall of fame coaches that BOTH WON TWO SUPER BOWLS without Dan Marino. They knew how to win Super Bowls. Marino choked in big games.

He even choked at Pitt when he had what Bobby Bowden called the greatest college football team he ever saw. So it wasn't he had no defense, he had no running backs, he had no OL. He had it all at times and still choked.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/new...er-no-3-pitt-one-of-biggest-in-school-history

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like the pick, and not trying 2 argue...., but it will not be the same weather, and You know this. Not even close. Most of the cool rainy days are after most the college games are over....Hell Has Pickett ever played past December???
    I know He didn't last year. While the NFL takes You 2 February. Remember I like Pickett...I'm just arguing the weather :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've said this before, but they tried 2crush Me for it. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Why does throwing 2 ints mean you choked? Brady threw multiple ints in half of his sbs and still won them. When that didn't become the definiton of choking?

For the better part of the Dan Marino years, the Dolphins defense was not very good. In his 17 seasons, Marino’s supporting defense ranked lower than 20 in total yards eight times. They also ranked lower than 20 in points allowed five times and the lower teens five times.

Then Dolphins head coach Don Shula tried to fix the defense but with drafts that included Eric Kumerow, John Bosa, and Andrew Gardner turned out to be wasted draft picks. Add to that a very bad defensive coordinator, Tom Olivadotti, and the Dolphins simply couldn’t provide him with a unit that could keep teams out of the endzone. Leaving Marino to fight in games that were far too often, shootouts.

The top running backs during his time were not consistent. Lorenzo Hampton, Andre Franklin, Bernie Parmalee. While the players themselves were not horrible, they were no home run hitters that could take over a game or supplement the Dolphins aerial attack. This created a problem with clock management and opposing defenses were able to attack the Dolphins passing game forcing them to win with the run. This is a point that is interesting because as much as they tried to take Marino and the passing game away, Marino still moved the ball at will.

You're not telling the whole story.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  11. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    Marino was drafted by a team that had just played in the Super Bowl!!! And you're ignoring how he didn't win the big games at Pitt when he had a future NFL team all around him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    You also ignored the fact that there were years Miami had a very good defense, one that led the league in points allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    Does throwing two interceptions HELP YOUR TEAM'S CHANCES OF WINNING? OR PERHAPS DOES IT HURT YOUR TEAM'S CHANCES OF WINNING?

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So? And he got them there and they ran into a far better team in the 49ers. And didn't they win the national championship 81 vs Georgia?

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Does it inhabit your teams ability to win? Or can your Team still win? Brady has thrown pick sixes in the sb and his team won.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah a few years. He didn't consistently have top defenses EVERY YEAR like Montana did. Like Brady did in NE. Why did Elway finally win the big one? Defense and run game. This wasn't 2020. You couldn't win back then passing up and down the field with a average defense. The rules didn't allow that.

17. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

I was not optimistic when Ben retired. Quite sad actually but knew he was done. After the draft, this is the most pumped I’ve been in years to watch this team. Excited to see these young guys take over. We will win the Division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree :thumbs_up:. I'm very excited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Good points. Canada better step up though. Willis or Pickett picks mean nothing if all we run is 5 yd slants. Canadas gotta bring it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    His post-season numbers are significantly worse than his regular season stats. He didn't play well in big games. He had many chances too. He's the Dan Fouts of his era, another QB whose post-season stats are worse than his regular season stats. In comparison, Bradshaw's are better in the post-season than in the regular season. If you go by QBR rating, the only player to improve more in the post-season from his regular season stats than Bradshaw was Bart Starr. Montana played four Super Bowls and threw ZERO interceptions in 16 quarters and each SB his QBR was over 100. There are WINNERS and then they are CHOKERS.

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Go read Mitch Trubisky's draft profile. He was a can't miss future pro bowler . So much so the Bears traded up to #2 to get him.....before Maholms and Watson. We took TJ Watt that draft #30 and he's arguably one of the best OLB's ever and if stays healthy will be headed to the HOF. Mitch is probably out of the NFL if he can't make it work in Pittsburgh. Point being no one has any idea if Pickett will be any good at all. Odds are he won't be but his odds of being good are probably much better than Willis being good.

Trubisky has been garbage and he had all of the talent and physical attributes, and stats to be called a sure fire pro bowl Qb in 2017. One of the questions about Mitch was that he never really did well throwing in traffic. He went to a team that asked him to do exactly that and he failed. He's now playing in an offense that will probably ask Mitch to throw into traffic more than any QB in the league. On paper IMO this is a terrible fit for the steeler offense...yet here he is and you read from experts that he should be a good fit in Pittsburgh. How is that? Mitch's game coming out of college was using the whole field and deep ball accuracy. (sound familiar?) Unless we change our offense Mitch is going to be horrible.

Picket better be accurate with quick passes. He better make quick reads. He better have the ability to hit WR's that are covered. We don't have WR's that physically beat coverages. Our war's rarely beat coverages... to excel in our offense you have to put the ball on their hands or it's incomplete or worse. Our WR's do not go and fight for balls. IMO this is the question I'm wondering about Pickett. His weaknesses according to what I've read is accuracy. He doesn't place the ball well on the WR, he struggles with finesse throws, lacks touch on passes, and nervous feet. Sounds like he needs to work on his footwork a lot. IN the NFL this is a career killer so hopefully he figures that out quickly. One trait that I'd say all good NFL QB's must have is finesse / touch on passes...the other is a competitive fire that is ridiculous. Pocket passers especially must excel at this. Especially if your WR's are suspect like ours are. I think it's highly unlikely we will see Pickett starting any games till the 2nd half of the season but maybe Mitch's play will force the issue.

Im excited to see KP take over when the coaching staff eventually excepts the fact that Mitch is a bad QB. Given how wrong the experts usually are about QB's in the draft I think anything is possible but also know the odds are he won't be anything special.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The sample size, while small isn’t favorable for Pickett in poor weather.

But apparently Picketts is the greatest prospect to ever come out of college, no faults! Who knew!

As I said before, there is a lot to like about Picketts but he isn’t flawless. I’m rooting for him though, obviously, hope he is great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think the odds are its much less likely for Pickett to be a complete bust then the high probability of Willis being a bust. Pickett likely will at least be an average starter. Willis could be very good or terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    My kid wanted Pickett, my buddy and his kid wanted Pickett, my dad wanted Pickett, we all watched together and I just enjoyed being part of their enjoyment.

Go Steelers!!!

• Like Like x 2