1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I did not accuse you of lying. I said you were pulling the claim that Pickett had a third-round grade out of nowhere because I hadn't seen that anywhere. The links you provided do not prove that claim. The very first one of those links I opened had him with a first-round grade. I have seen plenty of others that had him among the top 32 players going into the draft. What you seem to be doing is assuming that Pickett has a third-round grade just because that is where Willis ended up. You assume Pickett must belong down on Willis's level. That is not evidence. That is not lying on your part, but it is faulty logic.

I never said that Pickett was a universally top-ranked quarterback, but that still doesn't mean what you think it means. It does not prove that Pickett would have even made it to the Steelers in the second round, much less the third, just because Willis fell so far. They are completely different prospects. Pickett has good enough tools to be a late first-round pick. He also had a season of elite production in a Power 5 Conference. He has a high floor to go along with his talent and production.

Willis has the stronger arm, but he has some massive flaws in his game and his college production came at a much lower level in a very simplistic offense. It is probably going to take at least three years to evaluate him properly. That is a long time to wait to figure out if a first-round quarterback has a chance at being your franchise's quarterback. The Steelers aren't going to have to wait that long to figure out what they have in Pickett. He should get his shot to start by 2023, if not this season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By my logic, McVay's laughter doesn't prove that no other team would have taken the guy in the first round. Wilis falling to the third round in no way proves that Pickett would have even fallen to the second round, much less all the way to the Steelers at 52.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The lions who had 2 picks. The falcons needed a qb. The Texans who had 2 picks. The giants need a qb. And the panthers could've traded into the first round to jump the steelers if they wanted him that badly.

And you just said the steelers didn't need to draft a qb because they have one for 2022 and Washington and saints also have one for 2022? So why didn't they both believe in Pickett that badly to say hey we can't let him pass up like the steelers? Green Bay had Rodgers and drafted Jordan love. Having your qb for the present has never stopped a team from passing on someone so thats not an excuse. Chiefs traded up for mahomes all way to ten from 20 something when they had Alex Smith who's better than any of these teams stop gap qbs right now.

If you look at previous drafts, alot of qbs aren't top ten guys but teams reach for them. Why didn't they reach for him?

5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bunch of armchair GM's b!tching because the franchise that has six Lombardi's in their trophy case took Kenny Pickett. I wanted them to go defense, specifically defensive line. They took their guy. I have no problem that their grade on what they wanted at 20 and mine didn't jibe. You know why? Because I'm not an NFL GM or scout and neither are any of you jabroni's that are whining about Pickett for no other reason than a childish psychological need to be right about everything. Will he be worthy? I think he will, but that's why we watch the damn games in the first place.

As far as Kordell Stewart.......wonderful athlete, below average passer. I used to think he might have been better today, but his accuracy was dreadful. He might have been more effective in an RPO based offense but sooner or later he would have had to stand and deliver. I firmly believe they wouldn't have won a championship with him in today's game, either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I didn't just say mcvay. I said alot of the nfl world were scratching their head at the pick and dumbfounded by them taking him. So since belichick took him that must mean someone else definitely would have taken him later on in the first round right?

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So should Mac Jones have went over trey Lance last yr because of what you said about Willis and Pickett?

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your logic makes no sense. Nobody reached for him in the top 10, so taking him at 20 is too early?

The Giants have said all along that they were sticking with Jones for at least another year. The Lions weren't taking him No. 2 overall. The Texans actually seem to like Mills, so no, desperate doesn't work there, either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show me an NFL coach or GM laughing at the Steelers publicly for taking Pickett. I'll wait. Until then, this is just another failed argument by you.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So why did the chiefs trade up to 10 to get mahomes when they had an already proven pro bowl qb in Alex Smith? They weren't desperate for a qb where they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They recognized the potential for Mahomes to be what he is when most of the NFL did not. That doesn't mean some other team wasn't going to take him within the next few selections.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But you said the Texans, lions, saints, commanders etc.. weren't desperate for a qb so that's why they didn't need to take Pickett when there's evidence a team could still take a guy regardless of decoration at the postion if he's good

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said Pickett was Mahomes. He doesn't have to be Mahomes to be worth taking 20th overall. Treating "good" as if it was some monolithic thing is foolish. Seriously, you are making no sense.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hmmm, thinking about it. I dig what they did with the line pre draft beefing it up and making each component\Player versatile and can switch in and out. Moore was amazing for a rook and adding Cole and Daniel’s is solid. Don’t give up on KG just yet, once he’s locked on you you’re done and he’s waiting in the wings. Our line is aggressive and young.

Both Mitch and Kenny are known to be extremely accurate. Throwing to a tenacious Claypoole and DJ with YAC. Add two totally different receiver TYPES that are known for their sure handedness!

Mean while you have Muuuuuth to deal with and he also plays with attitude.

Top that off and you have Najee coming at you NOT around you.

Im seeing what they did there and it’s a handful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Did I say mahomes? He didn't have to be mahomes. He just had to be good enough for someone else to consider him especially teams that have very bad qb situations and are clearly tanking. They already was looking past him for people in college.

16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Picking the best QB in the draft, when you need a QB at 20 is not a bad decision even if he ends up a average QB, which is the worst case for him.

It's 20, not 2nd overall.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You brought up the example of Mahomes. You are going to hurt your back moving the goalposts all over the place like that.

Now you are making up what teams were thinking. I guess if you can't copy an answer from someone else, you will just slip into fiction.

18. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Must have hated that pro bowl year too?

19. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

I think if anything those links show how wonky the rankings are this year. (Btw love the links and thanks for proof).

It's not that Pickett was or was not it's that he, and every QB, were all over the place.

To the point, not a consensus best or even top 3 consensus best, there weren't any.

• Like Like x 1
  20. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    If Pickett was an SEC QB with the same stats, all of you would be creaming your pants over Pickett. But keep that same energy when he’s out there lighting it up.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When Pickett is winning games Willis will still be holding a clipboard. That's the difference.

Some are butt hurt that they didn't draft Willis. Preparation H will help.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That was Colbert. He was the one that said Rudolph had a 1st round grade. Not Tomlin this time.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I brought the example of mahomes because you said all those other teams weren’t qb “desperate” and they had their qbs of 2022 as if that ever stopped someone from drafting a qb if they felt he was going to be that guy.

The bears drafted fields last yr with no plans to start him at first. Cam going into camp was the starter over Mac jones. The 49ers gave up 3 future first round picks last yr to trade all way up to 3 to draft lance when they had a capable starter who led them to a SUPERBOWL and just took them to a nfc championship this year.

so again a team having plans or a current qb for a respective yr doesn’t mean they can take one. You don’t have to be mahomes. Teams have done it for other guys as well lol.

you’re acting like you know what other teams think by keep saying no one was going to let him pass round 1 lol.

stick to pencil pushing lol

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This others here who say they don’t know Pickett would’ve been taken in the first so it’s a failed argument according to who? You mr pencil pusher? When did what you think become to end all be all? You have a very convoluted imagination on your self worth.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No. Mac jones was an sec qb with far better stats a year ago and a lot of people weren’t creaming over him. Some had him prior to the draft as the 5th best qb. Has nothing to do with that.