1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers Chris Oladokun

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dirty, Apr 30, 2022.

1. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And with pick 241 of the draft, the Steelers select Chris Oladokun - QB out of South Dakota State

Must be Kenny's replacement.

** That tops off my dominating day of welcoming players to Pit. (unless someone got sneaky, will see after posting this)

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2 QBs in the same draft. Has this ever happened in Steelers history?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Called this yesterday.

Not surprised either. This essentially sets up the stage for Training Camp should all go right for Oladokun. Mason will likely be jettisoned by the end of Training Camp and Mitch Trubisky is likely the same come 2023... should Chris Oladokun work out. I personally believe he will as he has not had stability during his career.

He will most definitely have it with the Steelers; doubly so with a good teacher like Mike Sullivan guiding him along the way.

Steelers killed this draft; a statement I have not made since 2017.

• Like Like x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not in the AFL/NFL Merger Period. However, the Steelers History spans nearly 90+ years and so, I did some digging via ProFootballReference. This will shock you I am certain.

Have to go back to 1968 for that. Danny Holman from San Jose St and Kim King from Georgia Tech. Nabbing two QBs is not even that crazy if accounting for the entirety of Steelers history. In 1966, the Steelers drafted four QBs, Benjy Dial (East New Mexico), Mark Brundage (Oregon), Ken Lucas (Pittsburgh) and Dave Neilson (Albion).

That is correct!!!.. You read that right; per Pro Football Reference's All Time Steelers Draft History, a total of Four QBs were selected in the 1966 NFL Draft. I do not believe that has ever happened, for any team, in the 100+ year history of the NFL to draft that many QBs!! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Welcome to him.Mason will be looking over his shoulder if this young man shows promise in camp.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Have no idea how many rounds those years, but at one time even into the.69s I believe teams had over 20 picks.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would rather have had Strong here.

Strong would have been the end to Mason's time in Pittsburgh.

8. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Bye bye Mason thank God he won't be missed !

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. Twenty selections were made by the Steelers in 1966. How times have changed for certain... and perhaps for the better.

The NFL REALLY NEEDS to re-evaluate its logistics on handling the NFL Draft. This year's coverage was among the worst in a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They’ve been saying for months they would have four quarterbacks in training camp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Remember everyone, Chris is not the one Mason is afraid of. Mitchell Trubisky, on the other hand? Different story all together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I looked it up. 20 rounds. Could you imagine 20 rounds today? It would be on prime time ESPN for a friggin' week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Whatever they told mason in the off-season, all this proved otherwise lol

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It was horrible. Also remember that before the merger both nfl and all had separate drafts. Some players were of course chosen by both leagues. Im not sure if it was the Namith decision to join the AFL that was the camel that broke the back. Rising salaries, and the success of the AFL made the merger inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I remember 12 rounds,

Player Careers were a lot shorter back then and they needed all those players for their grueling 2 a day month long camp.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers/20030725steele0725p2.asp
    Before 1978, NFL teams played six exhibition games and the Super Bowl champions played seven because they would open the summer with a game against the College All-Stars in Chicago. The Steelers played seven in 1975 and 1976, and Coach Chuck Noll always believed in plenty of preparation time.

"Chuck always had four weeks of training camp before the first preseason game," Gordon said.

Those days weren't spent lightly, either. The Steelers practiced in full pads twice a day virtually every day but Sunday, and there was more contact.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    As for the pick, very much thought he would be in play. Very good arm and can work outside the pocket to make some throws. Not as consistent as one would like and having a slight build is going to hurt for certain. This is not accounting for the fact that he is not good when it comes to pressure... at all. That said, he still has time to develop and be developed properly.

Hope with him is that, as I said, the team can jettison Mitch Trubisky and have Chris as the primary backup to Kenny. Should Chris make it as a backup come 2023... he will have outplayed his draft slot without question.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Perfect assessment. And for those saying other players of need blah blah. This is the spot you takes guys like this. If he develops into an effective back up for several years you win.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek:

I’m going to digest this draft and withhold judgment until later. The whole Pickett thing has thrown it into a tailspin for me. Would have been much easier for me to swallow had Willis already been taken. Now I more or less feel like JT, “what the **** were the Steelers thinking”.

Right now I am trying to force myself to think we will be ok with Pickett, I imagine I’ll feel better about it the further we move away from the draft. He was one of four QB’s I said I would be happy with, just didn’t think it would be at Willis expense.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hey man!!.. You are not the only one!!!

As Colbert stated on Monday, Pittsburgh often uses their first three picks as immediate starters. Malik Willis sadly does not fit this mold. That said, I was under the initial impression that said statement applied for other positions and not QBs; all the more reason I was expecting the Steelers to load up on weapons and draft Malik to give him the time he needs to develop... should he have made it there. However, I was also under the impression that if, somehow, someway, both Pickett and Willis were on the board by 20, that would have been an interesting decision.

Given how Tomlin's and Colbert's reaction to Pickett falling to them at 20 have now been well documented in addition to what the rest of the NFL thinks of Willis, him being a third round pick at that, I believe it is safe to say that me and you both had hit one of three correct predictions during the draft! They are as follows;

1.) Nab Willis at pick 20 if available.

2.) Draft Weapons for the Offense so that Malik Willis can be more prepared come 2023.

3.) Find some good depth on the Defensive Side of the ball; namely either DL or Safety.

Well.... three was correct!! One was not and two was both correct and incorrect; right idea but wrong guy.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What happens to that start now scenario if Trubisky out performs Pickett by a large margin in preseason?

Seeing as how the draft unfolded, drafting Willis in the second while grabbing any of the following in the first would have been much better:

McDuffie
    Walker
    Elam
    Linderbaum
    Lloyd
    Wyatt
    Karlaftis
    Hall

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Don’t forget, they won 4 of the next 14 Super Bowls, so don’t hate it.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Mahomes
    Rodgers
    Ben
    Rivers
    Brady

none began as a day 1 starter. If MT wins job, that could be good for KP as well

23. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I hope you are right because Kenny is not the savior.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough to that.

That said, have to see what Kenny can do come OTAs and never mind Training Camp. Anything can happen between now and then; injuries included. Again, read my sig below. I was just as convinced as anyone that Willis would be the player at pick 20. Guess not.

25. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry about that, was being a smart ass and forgot to put the ;) a the end.