1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Burrow NEVER was the starter. He didn't lose his job because he got hurt as he never had the job to begin with. Baker WAS the starter. That's the difference you just failed to point out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What I'm saying is Burrow may have become the starter if He didn't get hurt....just like Baker mayhap wouldn't have lost his job if He didn't get hurt.

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Plus his standard 10 yard out usually hit the ground 1-3 yards in front of the wr. There's no player in Steelers history that I hate more than Kordell. He might be a nice guy, and if I met him I would probably react favorably because I'm a decent guy I think. But, in my history as a football fan, remembering him brings up only memories of anguish. Sorry, I know a lot of you loved the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was a fan while He was here, but the day Maddox came in ,and all of a sudden our Wrs looked good....Well that was the last of My Fandom for Him. He loved 2 throw in the dirt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Burrow got hurt when he was already the backup behind jt barret for a year and it was also AFTER jt barret was named the starter. The injury prevented him from being the backup. Not the starter lol. Again two different situations

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/08/joe_burrow_knocked_out_of_ohio.html

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hey!!!!
    Who do You argue with when I'm not here. LoL
    All said ,and Done Burrows...like I predicted is the better Qb

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He is the better qb. Idk who said he wouldn't be. I still think he was slightly overrated this yr as if you look st him in the playoffs, he didn't play all that great. A lot of luck and fortune came their way. But he's still a really good qb and top ten but some were saying he could be best in the NFL.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think He's the best yet, but He could be....just matters how he applies Himself, and a little luck. Problem is ....We the Steelers won't stay bad, and even though Lamar isn't very good (LoL)....the ravens will always be a problem....no matter who their Qb is.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Footballplagiarist, you don't have to copy other posters' mistakes. Just because teams didn't like Willis all that much doesn't automatically mean they would have let Pickett fall. It's faulty logic to claim otherwise. They are very different players. Pickett was a Heisman Trophy finalist who was fantastic against much better competition than Willis faced in 2021. I find the argument that he doesn't have that much more upside comical. What does that mean? If he can do in the pros what he did at Pitt in 2021, I say, "Yes, please!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pre draft vs post draft. I believed they were, I believed Willis and Pickett could both go top 10. Lot of that based on the fact teams always over draft QB’s. Clearly as a result of the draft, we know teams weren’t high on these guys. You do realize that teams that had two draft picks in the top 20 didn’t touch Pickett, they all had the same grade on this class and it wasn’t the first rd.

Don’t be a dick Scribe, ok. I saw Walter Football as the only site with Pickett ranked as the top pick.

If Pickett was taken before the Steelers then Willis would have gone next or maybe Howell or Corral. One thing that is inarguable among the sane is the Steelers were hell bent on getting a QB in the first rd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The only major aspect for Kenny Pickett was the Steelers Pre Draft Conference Monday. When asked by a reporter about what the team looks for in nabbing the first three picks, Kevin Colbert specifically stated that the team uses their first three picks on starter capable players. Given how the team has fared upon doing so since Colbert's tenure and, using this statement as a base, Kenny Pickett was the most ready to start of any QB overall.

This also means that the Steelers were not willing to wait to let Malik or the others develop. Conversely, it could also mean that they do not want to stumble into a situation where they have to see Mason Rudolph start again after.... whatever the hell that was against Detroit.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    @Formerscribe

https://www.si.com/college/mississi...ings-carson-strong-malik-willis-kenny-pickett

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ed-on-a-college-football-performance-formula/
    (I don’t know wtf CBS is doing here, weird formula or not)

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...ckett-matt-corral-continue-their-ascension/2/

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/list...ickett-desmond-ridder-matt-corral-sam-howell/

Take off your fanboi glasses. Pickett isn’t what you make him out to be. He’s as flawed as the rest of them and we better hope the Steelers know him better than anyone else from playing in their backyard for 4 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And? Wth does being a Heisman trophy finalist mean? Chris weinke won the Heisman and was a 4th round pick.

Josh Allen was terrible in college, played at garbage Wyoming, and was still drafted much higher than lamar who won the Heisman.

Pickett already fell. When have we seen this many qb needy teams pass on the supposedly best qb in the draft? Teams normally reach for qbs early that have no business being drafted high. Like ej Manuel. Guy wasnt even a top 50 prospect and the bills TRADED UP to 15th for him.

It's clear no one wanted Pickett that early. It was known before the draft that the steelers were very intrigued by him especially due to the Pitt connection. Someone would've traded up and tried to jump pittsburgh if they wanted him bad as you think they would've. This draft was a bad qb draft. Most of the qb needy teams are tanking for next yr for the 2 elite prospects in stroud and young.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He literally thinks people were so high on Pickett lol. Not saying he will be a bust but clearly he was not thought of as this cant miss first round talent qb.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. There was no consensus top QB this year. In fact more thought Willis was then Pickett. The draft clearly showed what teams really felt about them though.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, no, that can absolutely be argued. As I said, there was at least one report before the draft that there was only one quarterback they would have considered in the first round. Dulac has been at this a long time. He certainly has more information than any of those unknown websites you dug up in that other post.

Look at Tomlin's behavior on the way to cal the kid. He really looked like a 5-year-old racing to the tree on Christmas morning. You really think he is that good of an actor?

Actually, the available evidence points to me being right that Pickett was the only quarterback they would have taken at No. 20 overall. If he had gone somewhere else, I think the Steelers take Hill and Willis still plummets to the third round where he belonged.

The reason it is inarguable among the sane that the Steelers were right to pass on Willis is we now have the benefit of hindsight. That hindsight shows us that they could have taken him in the third round.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, it shows us that Willis was a third-round pick. Thank you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well...

For the teams hoping the likes of CJ Stroud and Bryce Young be the best QBs a la the 2020 Class... let this year's group serve as a cautionary tale of being premature in terms of QB Evaluation. Remember what I stated weeks ago?! Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler were supposed to be the consensus top two players in the class and never mind their position. Look at where Howell went and look forward to seeing what Rattler can do at South Carolina.

Again, the NFL Draft is the ultimate game of chance. Take your spin and hope you luck out. Very seldom do teams hit that Royal Flush; Quenton Nelson, Patrick Mahomes, T.J. Watt, Myles Garrett, Marshon Lattimore and Jalen Ramsey.... to name a few.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett wasn't a top-10 guy. I don't think anybody thought he was one. It's not that surprising that the Panthers passed on him that high. They were also desperate for help on the offensive line.

The Commanders and Saints have their guys for this season. They didn't have to draft one in the first round. Neither did the Steelers, so clearly they believe in Pickett.

Who else was desperate at quarterback?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I shouldn't be a dick, but you went right back to the name-calling. I understand. It must be embarrassing for the actual draft to prove you so clearly wrong about Willis.

Where did you find that garbage? You actually think a site that had Carson Strong as the top quarterback is credible? You really are desperate.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As usual, somebody tells you what to think and you follow along like a loyal puppy. Please tell me where I said that Pickett was a can't miss quarterback? I will save you some time. I never said that. In fact, I've been saying I would prefer that they took Hill in the first round. A can't-miss quarterback wouldn't have fallen to 20, but a legitimate first-rounder would. I'm sorry you understand so little. That's why I always warm my students about plagiarism. Not only will it get you in trouble, it will keep you from learning to think critically for yourself.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL keep telling yourself that. You’re a riot :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You accused me of lying I proved you wrong by providing hard evidence so I will say again, don’t be a dick.

I’m sick of your act man, belittle everyone, condescending and then play victim. Drop it and quit while you are behind.

What you fail to grasp and that those links prove is Pickett wasn’t a universal top ranked QB, he barely was in any ranking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm really sorry being proven wrong bothers you so much. I don't have to tell myself anything. Pickett was the pick and Willis fell to late in the third round. The evidence is on my side, not yours.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    By your logic had bill belichick not drafted that guard that had Sean mcvay laughing at him for taking and everyone else scratching their head at, would've been picked in the first round because he took him so that validates the player as a first round pick.