1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers Calvin Austin III

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dirty, Apr 30, 2022.

1. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    With the 138th pick of the draft Steelers select Calvin Austin III - WR out of Memphis.

-- Sweet never managed to get start one of these threads---

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I like this pick. Should be nice having this type of receiver's

• Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We definitely took a variety this draft. You certainly have contrast between Pickens and Austin. The two couldn't be more different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Seems like they drafted for a return man burner type.

Pickett is not as tall as Ben was to get it over D-linemen to a crossing slot guy 5-10 down field as easy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    PFF were talking about Austin on their podcast as a potential sleeper / steal in the middle rounds, they absolutely love him.

The concern of course is that he is undersized which can mean injuries and issues with ball security etc but there is a chance that Austin could be a real weapon in the right system

I like the pick but it is a risky one all the same

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The best thing about Austin's amazing speed is that he is going full speed on his first step. Plus he is a very shifty open field runner, he can change direction on a dime and is a great route runner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Cool. Another receiver.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This kid is fast, stupid fast. Plus, the analysis I saw is that in spite of his small stature, he is actually good at going up and getting 50/50 throws. He's also not afraid to go over the middle. I like the pick. You can never have enough speed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Not meaning this to be snarky but is this Dri Archer 2.0? Everyone gushed about his speed and he literally did nothing. However, don't get me wrong, I would very much like our team speed to get better. As long as the staff knows how to utilize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a numbers game, sooner or later one of them will stick. Maybe this is the one?

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Love. This. Pick.

Among all deep threats I had rated in the entire draft... he was rated number four; Jameson Williams, Chris Olave and Christian Watson being the better of the three. However, CA3 is oh so much more than just a burner of the track. He is one HELL of a slot option and will give opposing slot CBs nightmares.

CA3 is not just fast, explosive and quick all wrapped in one. He is one hell of a competitive SOB and will do all he can to make the catch. This Offense..???... I am liking it better and better.

Reminder to all that the second wave of Free Agency has not yet started and never mind the additions of players like Mason Cole, James Daniels and Miles Boykin.

Have to say... I like our chances A LOT more exiting this draft than entering it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just read the opposite on 50 50 throws. Let's face it going up at his size will not be a strength lol. I like the potential, but classic Colbert pick..he has tried this several times without keeping success. Hope this us the charm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Dri Archer was a board stiff compared to CA3. In addition, Dri did not have a defined role during his time at Kentucky. CA3's was very clear; deep threat/slot WR.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Fair enough

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For once... me and Dave Bryan agree. For that matter, I had wanted this since the season ended. Glad now we have two... with a possible third.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Bear in mind that this is Sauce Gardner we are seeing getting beat pretty good by CA3. Pretty impressive overall.

Careful CA3... cannot burn the Sauce there.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not debating his hands. I think he can be an asset. Like any prospect the pros and cons are there. Going against Temple and Navy are one thing. Competeing at NFL level is another..which can be said about any draft pick. That said you cannot teach speed and especially speed with stop/Start acceleration and shift..Austin has exceptional gifts for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I was watching ESPN's coverage and they showed clips of him making contested catches. They talked about his toughness and willingness to make catches in high traffic areas. He likes to compete.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Time will tell regarding the likes of JuJu vs. George. However, I like CA3 more than I did James Washington for certain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He will be fine for the talent jump. Not his first rodeo against NFL Level Competition.

For that matter, see his catches against the likes of Sauce Gardner above.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    TJ Houshmandzadeh had a great take on guys like this last week. He trains them and said speed is great, but there is a difference between track speed and the ability to adjust, stop full sprint and accelerate. Austin fits that to a T.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He fits what to a T?

Having both track speed + the ability to adjust or just the track speed?

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Having track speed of course as he is a track star as well, but few of those guys can cut, shift? Stop and go on a dime. This kid has that ability.