1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was wrong about Willis and he can't seem to accept it. I'm not saying Willis can't still develop into a good player. Hell, I'd have been all for drafting him if I had realized he was going to fall to the third round. I thought some team was going to be stupid enough to take that risk in the first. I was fooled by the smokescreen, too.

That said, and I will keep repeating this, it is inarguable among the sane that the Steelers were right to pass on Willis in the first round. I believed that going into the draft and I know it is incontrovertible fact. If you can get a guy in the third round, it is moronic to take him in the first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. Like I’ve said, I’m trying to convince myself that he’ll be good for us, but I have a doubt gnawing at me that we took a 2nd or later round prospect and passed on some strong talent at other positions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There was not a single mock draft out there that didn't have him in the first. There were some rankings that had him in the second round, but there really is no evidence that he would have made it to them at 52. Other quarterbacks falling is not evidence that Pickett would have done the same.

I agree with the second part of your point. I think the better approach may have been to take Hill in the first. If Pickett doesn't make it back to them later, which seems very likely, stick with the receiver in the first and take Willis or Howell in the third. I would have been fine with that.

What makes no sense is what Blast is arguing, which is that they should have taken Willis in the first. I don't see how you can reasonably make that argument now that we have seen that they could have had him in the third.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    This makes no sense. Why compare a 1st round, best rated QB in the draft to a bunch of middle rounders? You can go back to 1971 and beyond if you want to slam Steelers QB picks. The only 1st rounder they drafted in that time was Mark Malone in 1980 and they drafted him to play wide receiver and maybe eventually take over for Bradshaw (which he ended up doing). That might explain why we never had great QB play between Bradshaw and Ben.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They did not draft Malone to play WR. They drafted Malone to be the eventual replacement for TB. He was a very good athlete with good speed so they used him at times as a WR but to say they drafted Tom Selleck, er, I mean Mark Malone to play WR is absolutely incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why Am I in here.
    Pickett is a future HOF.
    Once the Steelers selected Him ....His future changed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Tom Selleck is exactly what I use 2 call Him. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Why doesn't it make sense? None of the guys in this list besides Ben did diddly squat in the NFL and were all below average backups. And outside of Pittsburgh, there was zero market for their services. Sure, none were 1st rounders besides Ben and Pickett, but the fact that nobody wanted steelers garbage tells you that they sucked. The point was that outside of Ben and it remains to be seen on Pickett, Colbert didn't draft QBs well. The results of the 7 players speak for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Burrows broke his hand ,or wrist. Hard 2 Win Qb job that way.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Before he broke his hand he was still a backup to a guy that never even sniffed the nfl.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was a kid then. Big programs You have 2 wait Your time before the transfer portal was so big. Look at Bama for instance...lot of great players have 2 wait till its their time, and not all of them are great in the NFL that are before them, but they know the system.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No you don't. Trevor Lawrence started as a true freshman. Bryce young started as a true freshman. Caleb Williams was a true freshman. If you're good enough you don't have to wait. Burrow early on was not.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said at big programs

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Clemson and Alabama are arguably the two biggest programs currently. Oklahoma is a big program as well lol so what are you saying?

15. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

No it doesn't mean that, I agree. I like Pickett, but I wonder if we've just picked a QB a year early. Yes he would have gone RD1 last year as there were a lot more QB needy teams and 4 went in the top 15 picks,and he's at least as good as last years prospects on paper, sans Lawrence.

I hope he's a stud, he's got every opportunityto be one, and could not have landed in a better spot, so we'll see.

16. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    How are last seasons top 4 QB's looking right now?

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean but who knows if Pickett wouldn't have been there in the 2nd. From what I see no one was really in love with him but the steelers. No mock draft had Willis falling past the 1st and look what happened.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Those draft rankings are all made by the talking heads. You don’t know where any team had any given player ranked. Pure speculation. Nothing more

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Too early to judge Lawrence. He actually looked good at times. The talent is there but they have to get him so help.

Wilson I think is a bust and I thought that before the draft. I though Mac should've went 2nd.

Lance hasn't played yet.

Fields looked ok. I don't see star. I see tyrod Taylor 2.0.

Mac will be really good and was good considering what he had to work with. He went to the perfect situation for him.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    By the way the draft was going and how teams normally reach for a qb and the faxt it was several qb needy teams that said no thanks, it's clear these qbs weren't high on teams boards.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just playing, but those are a few, and all within the transfer portal time. Alabama lost some Qbs in the portal. Also I can give a long...long list of guys that had 2 wait.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Not saying guys don't wait but also if you're good enough you can start from day 1. Baker as a walk on won the job as a true freshman.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He also lost a job.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He got hurt and he also didn't get along with Kingsbury. He didn't lose the job cause of his play.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh so that works for Baker, but when I said the same for Burrow....somehow it didn't count??? LoL. Hahaha. Sometimes talking 2 You is like clapping with one hand. :thumbs_up: