1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on day 2 of the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 30, 2022.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    True, but if he is down inside, he'll likely get swallowed up. Maybe could be a rotational guy on pass plays mixed in with some blitz packages. But not seeing him as an every down interior DL type guy.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not really about omg the Ravens are going to be great, it’s because a lot of us spend months scouting players and naturally you don’t want to see the guys you like the most going to your hated rivals.

On paper the Ravens are looking great, still have to play the games on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Heyward 6-5 288
    Alualu 6-3 304
    Leal 6-4 283

Am I missing something here?

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I like his demeanor. Very greatful.

• Like Like x 2
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Supposedly Claypool will be seeing time in the slot. I thought they should have moved Washington there after juju’s injury, but they appear to have disagreed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He doesn’t have a position in every defensive scheme. He’s a very strong run stuffer, and it kind of takes projecting what he can develop into vs. the passing game. But, man can he plug the middle vs. the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Washington was a FA so they really had no say in if he was coming back or not.

Claypool may actually thrive in the slot. In zone or man coverage he will create a bit of a mismatch. 2 weeks ago we were worried about the WR room and now it once again looks like a strength of this team.

WR
    Dionte Johnson 5-10
    Chase Claypool 6-4
    George Pickens 6-3
    Miles Boykin 6-4
    Anthony Miller 5-11
    Gunner Olszewski 6-0 (Return Specalist)

TE
    Pat Freiermuth 6-5
    Zach Gentry 6-8

Height is defiantly not an issue.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s not like I don’t like seeing players we like going to the Ratturds, I don’t like seeing ANY player go to the Ratturds! I’d like them to be barred from drafting! :mad:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Hamilton and Reed play different positions... Reed was a fs while Hamilton is a SS.... People made the same foolish comparisons with Reed and Polamalu... Make no mistake, Hamilton will be a beast.....
    As far as Linderbaum is concerned... His strength makes up for his lack of girth at the position, and his wrestling background translates perfectly at his spot when talking about the leverage battles... This is who I was hoping we would get in the 1st.... Ojabo is definitely worth the wait, and you already know how I feel about us passing on Jones

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Heyward is 295. Not to mention, he is one of the toughest SOBs to ever play for the steelers. All the other interior DL on the roster who play with their hand in the dirt are 300 or better. Like I said, Leal is going to need to add a few lb's. We'll see how that affects his technique and speed, which honestly wasn't all that great from the clips I watched. I'm seeing depth from a rotation and situational standpoint with Leal. Make sense?

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Frequent visits to Primanti Brothers should do the trick! :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You're right, different websites, different weights.

Most linemen can add or lose 10 pounds when needed just from a professional diet and workout program. I'm not worried about it. With how the Steelers like to rotate guys on the line I think he'll be fine.

Let's not forget he's a 3rd round pick, he wasn't drafted with the expectation of being an All-Pro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why? You were wrong about Willis. The Steelers were right to pass on him. There is no reasonable argument for your side of this anymore. The guy fell to the third round. You are trying to say they should have taken a guy in the third round when it turns out they could have taken him in the third. That makes no sense at all.

If he pans out and Pickett doesn't, they were still right to pass on him in the first. Hindsight will simply tell us that they should have taken somebody else, like Hill, in the first round and Willis in the third. By the way, that's what I've been saying since Friday. I'm putting it on the record all over the place so you can't pull this crap. Do I need to save the links to the threads somewhere? lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow. I'm actually agreeing with you. I would have preferred Moore in the second, but you are right that they deserve some trust when it comes to picking wide receivers. I have the same problem with Leal. I just don't see where he fits in with this defense. He really belongs at defensive end in a 4-3, but the Steelers aren't making that switch, not with Watt at outside linebacker. The last thing they needed was another guy who makes the occasional big play in the backfield, but gets pushed around on running plays. Leal seems like a Wormley clone and that's not a good thing.

I was never sold on a quarterback in the first round, but Pickett was the way to go if they were going to do it. If you believe a quarterback can be your guy and he falls to you that late in the first round, you don't mess around. You grab him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Lets not get carried away. Anthony Miller could not even beat out Cody White to get on the field last year. He is on his 3rd team in 3 years and couldn't even make a decimated Texans squad in 21'. Boykin is a Ravens castoff that frankly isn't very good. Worth a flyer for camp.....sure. We also seem to conveniently forget, that Claypool was awful most of last year. To think that the WR room is stacked is just false.

I love it when people say so and so is a first round talent. 9 times out of 10 that statement is false. The first question I have everytime I hear that line is, if the guy is a first round talent, then why didn't he go in the first round?

In Pickens case, he needs to add weight. He is coming back from an ACL, and there are some maturity concerns. He wasn't a first round talent. He was a second round talent because that's where he got picked.

This is not shade. I like the pick. But all rookies need time to develop. Pickens maybe more so than others. I think the Steelers still need to add someone to the WR as insurance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    his strength is average at best. His arms are shorter than Kendrick green. He’s undersized. Yes, he’s the best center in this years draft, but it’s a weak draft class as well. He very well might turn out to be a quality player for the Ravens, but not worth trading back into the first round IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's probably Alalu and Heyward's weight as rookies, they're bigger than that now especially Heyward.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You just kind of made my point

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Others already answered, but I don't think those weights are still accurate for Heyward and Alualu. More importantly, they are both much stronger than Leal. It's not close. They can penetrate and make plays, but they also have the anchor to take on blockers and stand strong in the running game. Leal doesn't have that. He didn't do it in college. He also didn't show up consistently in college. There is so much not to like about the guy. Most importantly, he just doesn't seem to fit.

I get that they are trying to build for the future, but for this year, he is useless even if Tuitt doesn't return. He can't help at nose tackle, so that is still going to be Alualu and Adams. I think one or both of them will also get some time at end. If you assume no Tuitt, they still have Heyward, Wormley, and Loudermilk, who should take on more of a role this season. So at best, Leal is their fourth defensive end and probably won't play all that much. Hell, they might even go with five in some games.

If Tuitt does play, Leal doesn't even see the field unless there are injuries.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are assuming Leal can become a lot stronger, but that's not a sure thing. The guy was lazy in college. He had games that he didn't show up, but you're assuming he is going to put the work in to get stronger. Heyward is incredibly strong now. I don't ever see Leal coming close to that.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He’d be smart to follow Hayward around like a puppy dog.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ravens would be smart to draft Sam Howell.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL…there goes another guy we wanted to the TURDS! :frustrated:

24. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I like how the family gave him a minute and then said "go get the Pittsburgh hat!!"

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    One is a 3rd round pick the other is a 1st. Again, I'm not saying that Leal is ever going to be an every down lineman.......however, rotation guys are needed on every team. I'm saying he has the potential to at least be that.