1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on day 2 of the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 30, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Like the Pickens pick, but feel we should've drafted Travis Jones first and then taken Pickens...... Now we have to face Jones 2x's a yr..

2. Now that I'm talking about Jones, I will add that the Ravens are really getting on my nerves .... They're currently owning this draft

3. Was the selection of Leal the coaches way of sending a message to Tuitt ????

4. Faalele in the 4th please

5. The jets continue to knock it out of the park

6. The QB freefalls were shocking

7. Pickett to Pickens has a cool feel to it

8. Seattle makes me scratch my head

9. Glad we didn't draft Willis, but glad for him that he finally got drafted

10. Will we still bring in a 4th QB to camp???

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Happy you brought this back!!! Always a pleasure! My personal thoughts/rebuttals to each.

Agree with 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Of the four reasons, I really feel like 2 should be at the top but Baltimore has been doing this as far as I can remember; as far back as 2010 if I recall. Right now, Robert Saleh has the New York Jets on the up and up currently and have done an awesome job. Time to stack some wins in the AFC East.

Now, to begin with what I disagree with, 1 without a doubt; doubly so since it is likely that Diontae could very well be on his way out. Heck, even if he is not, there is very little depth behind both Chase and Diontae moving forward. This year's WR group was both talented and deep but one could not expect the likes of Pickens to be available later as no one knows other teams draft boards other than the teams themselves. In addition and, as I stated way back during the National Title Game, remove Pickens' ACL Sophomore tear and he is not even a possibility at pick 20 alone; damn pick 52.

For point 3, unclear at the moment. What is clear is that the Steelers needed a youth movement with or without Tuitt; some talent no less. Alualu and Heyward are well past 30; Alualu himself going to be age 35 very soon. Outside of Heyward and Alualu on the roster, Isaiah Loudermlik, Montravius Adams (people need to remember him) and Chris Wormley; this is... more or less of what the team has at the moment... and it is not much to be honest. While I still question the pick itself, there is no denying that DeMarvin Leal has the talent to be one hell of a player... provided he becomes a lot more consistent.

I will personally be shocked if Daniel Faalele is the pick in the fourth round. Then again, this draft has been NOTHING but surprises in all honesty. I will say this; Brandon Smith is an appealing option... provided he makes it that far... which I truly doubt but.. one never knows.

For 9.... whew boy. If Willis pans out....... people on this board are going to be PISSED. Big if... but the situation he lands in sets Malik up very nice.

Finally, to answer point number 10, bet on it. Mason is essentially fighting for his NFL Career. If anything, I personally would not be shocked if Chris Oladokun (QB from South Dakota State) is added into the fold; either by Round 7 or possibly as a UFDA. Mitchell Trubisky is likely gone come 2023 and having Chris sit and learn behind the likes of both Pickett and Mitchell makes him a far more capable backup than what Mason currently is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Totally disappointed with both picks.

2nd round should have been NT Travis Jones.
    3rd round should have been Safety Nick Cross

I feel that Pickens is just a Claypool Clone and brings nothing new to the WR room. If they had to go WR here, Skyy Moore would have been the better pick, but he is probably going to love playing in KC next year more.

Leal is a 4-3 Defensive end that needs to play outside the tackles because of his lack of strength and is way too slow to ever make it as an OLB on this team.

And please look at Baltimore's WR depth chart before saying it is a great draft. Kind of like judging the Steelers 2020 draft without taking in the Minkah trade. It is funny I read that this is the 3rd year in a row where a major player has demanded to be traded out of Baltimore at the end of the season.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're really going to hate the Ravens on day 3, they have 6 picks in the fourth round :frustrated:
    For a 4th QB camp arm they should just sign a UDFA

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It feels like the QBs dropped, but keep in mind Russel Wilson went in the 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I’m shocked really. Almost every Pickens highlight they showed, he was on the ground.

I had Claypool flashbacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s a big difference between hitting the ground to make diving catches and falling over when trying to high point the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll hound them mercilessly. I’ll be Sdot with Metcalf on steroids.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He’s got a the motivation he needs to prove them wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the colts are having a good draft as well. cross, raimann, pierce, woods. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I too love all FOUR of the Ravens picks...I wanted Travis Jones in the worst way!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ravens always seem to take the players I like the most and this year they are really sticking it to me :noose:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wow almost every other team seems to be knocking it out of the park except the Steelers?

Got the QB. The ONLY one that is ready to start right now and was worthy of a 1st round pick.
    Got the receiver. Much needed addition with paper thin depth.
    Got the Nose tackle. Much needed addition due to Alualu's last ride and the unknown status of Tuitt. Kid had 8.5 sacks in 2021!

Dodged a bullet in Willis. I thought he wasn't even going in the 3rd round. 3rd round pick with a 1st round grade. Heard that somewhere before.

Hoping they trade Rudolph for a 5th.

Personally I don't give a shat about other teams and what they have done. They filled 3 major needs so far. All will be contributing this season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was surprised they didn’t take Skyy Moore, given the pre draft interest… but it seems he’s seen more as a slot while Pickens is a potential no.1 wr, and that’s what we lack.

15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Agree. I have Cross and Pierce as day 1 value. Jt Woods is day 3 free safety. I think they whiffed with the Raimann pick. But overall, a top notch haul.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    1. Like the Pickens pick, but feel we should've drafted Travis Jones first and then taken Pickens...... Now we have to face Jones 2x's a yr.. WR was probably the weakest position on the roster. I am not at all surprised they took Pickens. The Steelers really didn't show any pre-draft interest in Jones. So I wasn't shocked when they passed on him.

2. Now that I'm talking about Jones, I will add that the Ravens are really getting on my nerves .... They're currently owning this draft. For sure. Ravens are having an epic draft. I threw up in my mouth a little when they picked Hamilton.

3. Was the selection of Leal the coaches way of sending a message to Tuitt ???? No. But neither Tuitt or Heyward are getting any younger. Leal and Loudermilk can be future starters.

4. Faalele in the 4th please. Hell Yes! I mocked him to the Steelers in the 2nd only because I thought he would be gone in the 3rd. Never imagined he would make it to Saturday.

5. The jets continue to knock it out of the park. Crushing it

6. The QB freefalls were shocking. I thought 4 might go in the 1st. LOL

7. Pickett to Pickens has a cool feel to it. Hearing Pickens name called reminded me how much I hated Carl Pickens back in the day. I hadn't thought about that guy in years.

8. Seattle makes me scratch my head I never understand what they do.

9. Glad we didn't draft Willis, but glad for him that he finally got drafted. I'm pulling for the kid. He didn't deserve to drop that far. I hope it makes him hungry.

10. Will we still bring in a 4th QB to camp??? Yes. But no need to draft another. I'm sure they will bring in an UDFA.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not sure I could disagree more about the ravens. Hamilton is a decent player, but he is not the second coming of Ed reed. It’s not even close. Trade back into the first for an undersized center? No thank you. The edge rusher in the third was a great pick, but when will he be healthy enough to play?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No mention of Claypool having to be the one to announce his own replacement?

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I see a lot of people saying they should have taken Travis Jones but obviously Travis Jones wasn't a 2nd round guy to any team as he fell to the 12th pick in the 3rd.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

A lot of players fall in every draft.... It's funny when analysts do their re-drafts 2 or 3 yrs later, those players that fell are all of a sudden 1st rounders

• Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    and Pickens is first round wr talent. He did some really stupid things while at UGA. Let’s hope he’s learned his lesson and grown immensely as a man. We have an accurate mobile qb that can make every throw on the field. His targets include Johnson, claypool, Pickens,friermuth, Harris. That’s more than a handful for any defense. Let’s not forget Friermuth blocking players into the stands and Pickens pancaking defensive backs. I’m seriously looking forward to the 2022 season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I like the Pickens pick and have more trust in the FO drafting WRs than other positions based on their history. Still neutral on drafting QB in the first but if you're gonna do it, Pickett was the right guy to get. Leal is interesting but not sure where he fits in this D. If they plan to put him interior DL, then he is going to need to put on some lb's and get in the weight room. Pass rush technique alone isn't going to get it done when you are going up against 325# professional interior OL guys with better hands and quicker feet than what he was up against in college. Still would have liked to see them go OL in the early rounds but maybe they can get some depth at OL this weekend. Overall, this draft has not been stellar for Pitt IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    As I've said in other threads, Pittsburgh doesn't play a true interior lineman on most plays. It's 2 guys down on a lot of the snaps.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Don't see that happening. IMO, Willis went in the draft where he should have. Way too many guys like him have come into the league and just don't fit into a scheme. Glad we steered clear.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thank you strummer. I needed that.

• Like Like x 1