1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to smile

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I see a lot of reviews being very meh. And I see the majority of those people repeating what was being said on television, with not knowing the player at all.

Let's start with Leal.
    - the testing made him fall. If not for that, he would have gone in the second. I don't get why teams value so much from the testing, but they do. We've all seen players drop crazy hard or get moved up a crazy ton from their testing. I remember a DL stud for Cincinnati (I think from Georgia) was selected in the 6th, and ended up being one of their best players. And he fell all because of testing.
    - As early as his freshman season, Leal was an important contributor at A&M. The Aggie defensive lineman accumulated 38 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and two sacks in his first year. He improved steadily. The next year, he’d record seven tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. In his final campaign, he’d tally 12.5 tackles for loss along with 8.5 sacks. <<<<----- now that's impressive to see a player continue to grow.
    - I understand TV tells you consistency. But I see a player who has been improving every year and will be rotational. (So even if he's not a stud, it's great to see a player who can give other DL a rest when the defense is being on the field to much.).

George Pickens.
    - TV tells you had an ACL. But TV forgot to tell you came back for the last 4 games (including the BCS championship game). Over the course of 5 catches he averaged 20+ yards.
    - I understand injuries make us scared. But when you see a player return fine, you should let that go. Therefore he still should have landed in the first with ease.
    - ACL used to scare us 15+ years ago. But medical has improved so much and we understand how to get players back to what they were with PT. And by the way UGA is a great place to rehab at.
    (So seeing claypool, Pickens, Johnson is a nice triple threat of receiver's. And I still. Would like to see Washington get more plays).

Pickett is a great player.
    - now TV tells you QB are still dropping. So you're thinking we could have got him in the second. And I'm here to tell you he would have not made it passed the lions, falcons and etc. (Those type of teams are rebuilding as well. They're not in a position to even get into the post season. So therefore there was no need to reach for the best QB).
    - the TV leaves out that Pickett is easily a top 15 QB.
    - the TV left out that all these other QB are very meh. Some teams might start them, but they'll be idiots. Because they really need to sit for a year to learn on so many levels.
    - I'm old school. I don't like seeing any QB just starting. So I still would like to see if bring in a vet QB. And let Pickett sit for half the season. And then slowly work him in. (Unless trubisky is playing good).... Pickett just needs to learn to see some plays he could go to. Which should not take long for him to understand. And then it'll be can he handle it (just like everyone else does).

Summary.....
    1. Don't let the TV tell you what to think.
    2. Don't let these testing of hype/fall, bother you so much. Because it's more important what a player did on the field. Testing is only nice to see what the ceiling of a player will be.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Furthermore yes I would have liked to see us move up to draft Nakobe Dean. But let's not forget we don't have our 5th. So would have sucked to see us move up for a player who refused testing on his shoulder and then not have a pick until the 6th round.

Screenshot_20220430-070346_Chrome.jpg

We are needing to build. We are not in a position of needing just a couple pieces to get us into the post season.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

washington isn't here anymore. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    You pretty much regurgitated what was said on TV

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    The TV did not mention leal testing. Or that he's constantly improved.

Nor did the TV talk about Pickens returning.

Nor did TV talk about Pickett was the other QB with drafting in the first. And should have been the only story about him not being selected in the top 15. And how the others should be selected in the third and fourth. Instead they made it out like they were shocked QB were not taken.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I didn't know he left.

Oh well. I could see why

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s a Cowboy now. I agree with you though, he was underutilized while he was here and I honestly believe that Ben had something to do with that since Washington and Rudolph were very close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    He's a good player and looked clutch every time when he was thrown to.

I will say if Pickens is playing how I expect. I think Washington would have been on the back burner to Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He never sniffed the front burner. Was underutilized here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    It is VERY clear that some posters here **cough Sdot cough** and many others are waaaay more knowledgeable than the folks running the team. I am guessing even assistant coaches are paid very well. It would seem a no brainer to send in your resume(to all the bitchandmoaners). Posters on any message board have very little inside insight into the decision making. The Steelers have not had any more busts than any other team. Actually, we have NEVER gone Ricky Williams bad. It makes me laugh that couch sitters think that they are better talent evaluators than those who have been doing it, for money, for decades. As a body of work, The Steelers have been a model of drafting and team development. Some years we hit the ball farther than others, but I am proud to wear my colors anywhere and everywhere. My guess is the Sdot keeps his hidden out of shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Doesn't matter. Boycotters are required to burn all their team possessions. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I only have 2 problems with the Draft.
    1. We should have traded back as soon as We seen the first 4 Qb needy teams didn't Draft a Qb,and got more picks along with Pickett, and....
    2. We should have drafted more Defense. I don't hate the picks....I dislike the position.
    We have a SS that We clearly don't believe in, or they would have signed Him 2 a big deal, and our old , but best CB is not on the team anymore. Yet not a move 2 fix this in the draft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    They couldn't trade back and let someone jump in front for Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well 4 Qb needy teams let Him go right By....I didn't say trade out of the 1st round just back...so We could have picked up another pick...Hell even a 5th that We don't have.

15. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So don't believe the TV but believe the internet by random strangers? Got it. ;)

16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I think they're going to sign the honey badger or possibly kazee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Then .....I won't complain. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they have to, who are they going to get this late they can count on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1