1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Was Mike Vick ahead of His time....Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson...

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No one cares, Ed. Shut up and make the pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I wouldn't even call him a poor man's lamar. He's no where near him athletically. He does have the better arm. I think he's a poor man's deshaun Watson.

Also weren't you the one talking about how trubisky was going to shock people?

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He's the more talented qb. But that only gets you so far.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Mike Vick was good. The dog fighting is what derailed him. He lost what like 3-5 prime years? Cam Newton league mvp and went to sb. Lamar league mvp and still has a career ahead of him to fully assess him. But yeah Vick also was ahead of his time. In this softer nfl he'd be alot more dominant

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Excuses....
    Mike Vick won 2 playoff games in a 15 year career.
    Cam Newton had 3 winning seasons.
    Lamar Jackson had a lucky year, and has gotten worse every year.
    So I guess Your idea of successful is way different then mine. Because if that was the career of any Steelers Qb ...I say that's not very good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Agreed

Jr making sure to right the marino ship.
    What dad should have done!

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It could happen.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Still not Boycotting? Go away already!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There is a reason Willis is still sitting out there. Pickett was the only QB worthy of a 1st rd pick from the start.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    If no one thought Pickett would be there at 20, why was he?

12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    The fact that he has more downside now.

You know the saying, no where to go but up. Pickett a much higher floor and deemed to have good leadership qualities and fire in his belly. I do agree with Tomlin in that regard, you can't afford a QB or any player that's just glad to be there and looking forward to spending his money. Pickett appears to be that player that's gonna get pissed when things are looking shaky and become a leader that puts slackers in their places.

I like Willis athleticism and arm, but nothing about him says starting NFL QB any time soon.

Willis is the QB to get you that freakish win with a sportscenter play, but also the guy to lose you two games in a row with 4 or 5 inexplicable interceptions or poor throws missing a TD.

Pickett is the QB to sustain drives more frequently and less likely to put you in a position to have to have that freakish 4th and 20 throw in the fourth quarter to pull out a win.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

There are idiots everywhere. Somebody posted on this site that they wish Willis would be taken with the 4th pick so that Pickett would be gone soon after. It's 3rd round and Willis,Ridder and sitting and waiting.

14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I think Corral goes 2nd

15. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    it was a good thing it happened that way, for whatever reason other players were taken. Teams have different needs some that are obvious and some they want to keep discreet, so you think a team is going in one direction when they are not, I think the Steelers were lucky that Pickett fell to 20.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Kordell Stewart was born too early. Kordell would be badass in today's NFL...in an offense designed for him, like LJ has now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Meanwhile, Willis is still waiting for the call. A 6'0 QB from a small school is a big gamble. It's kind of like how Dri Archer looked like Gale Sayers at Kent State but could not do anything against NFL defenders.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You ,and I have a different Idea of Bada$$.
    That's cool.:thumbs_up: LJ has no Wrs that want 2 stay with Him. Brown that got traded yesterday...they said today has been trying 2 get traded for 2 years. Wrs hate playing for those types of Qbs. He has won one game against us,and that was in overtime with a field goal against Duck Hodges. Every Year his playing has gotten worse. That's not Me that's what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Kordell accomplished more in his career than LJ ever will. 2 AFC Championships. How many NFL QBs can say that. My point is... Stewart was running O'Donnell and Tomczac offense. Chan Gailey was on the right track....but it was ruined with later O coordinators.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Wow half the people here writing a guy off before he even try's on a uniform. I like the pick if Trubisky wins in the preseason then Pickett learns for a year or two.
    Ben was a shell of what he used to be last year, he couldn't move and his long ball was offline or fell short. Behind him was Rudolf and Haskins, Rudolf has shown very little in the chances he has had and Haskens was still unproven.
    Right now we have a guy that had what 4200 yds 67% comp 42 TD's and only 7 int's and if he is starting his backup will be Trubisky a second overal pick that might just blossom in new surroundings.
    I think I QB talent is already better this year than it was last year. And I liked Ben he was a tremendous QB but not recently and now that Ben isn't eating 30% of the cap we have filled some holes. I don't see anything at all to be negative about , as long as Canada lets who ever is the QB to throw the ball beyond the LOS.

• Like Like x 2
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Who calls them failures? Everyone is not going to be tom brady. Both of those guys were successful nfl qbs. And it's not excuses just the facts that Vick missed his prime due to going to prison.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on...if they were Steelers Qbs You would say they sucked. 2 playoff wins in 13 years, and He played for 6 years before the prison time. That's 1 more playoff win then M. Trubisky. LoL. :lolol:
    Cam Newton ....3 winning seasons in 11 seasons. Please...if they were anyone else You would say they suck. Difference is You want them 2 be good. Me .....I just go by who's good , and whos not. I have no agenda.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he really wouldn't. He would be better, but his poor decision-making, lack of pocket awareness, and inconsistent accuracy would have been just as much of a problem today as they were when he played.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kordell's lack of accuracy on his deep ball is what did him in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This trade continued to look dumber and dumber as Wilis continued to fall. Clearly, the Steelers were absolutely right in passing on Willis in the first round. Maybe they should have taken somebody other than Pickett, but passing on a guy who went in the third round in the first was absolutely the right call. This is inarguable among the sane.

• Agree Agree x 1