1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    5th year senior playing against young/weak talent in the ACC during a pandemic. Exactly why this was his only good year. Pickett doesn't even have elusive speed. It's not going to work in the pros. He will run for a bit for 1-2 years then it will be you need to be a pocket passer to stay healthy. Then we're left with a mediocre arm. Baker has a better arm than Pickett.

Look, I'm not sold on either. Willis can go to a terrible situation and never pan out either. All I'm saying is we have to see how the 2nd round goes.. But Tyler Linderbaum + trading a 4th to move up a few spots in the 2nd to get Willis. Give Willis a year or two behind Mitch. Makes a lot more sense than Kenny Pickett + whoever we get and now throwing Pickett to the fire and Mitch backing him up. It's horrible asset management. Linderbaum is going to be an all pro for many years too.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was like 30 years old when they drafted Jones, definitely drafted to be a backup. Even Dobbs, Ben was what, 35?

They only drafted Rudolph because Ben was stomping his feet about Haley and threatening to retire, he forced their hand. Yes, it’s worrisome if they are telling the truth that they had a first rd grade on Rudolph but most of those guys on your list were not drafted to be starters.

Tee Martin was the worst pick, made even worse by the fact that they left Brady there.

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    and won what in the end?

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I dunno man. Nobody knew how long Ben was going to play or if he would be able to maintain the level of play especially when he was getting his ass kicked. Hell, he was getting sacked 45+ times a year and the injuries were stacking up. He became less mobile. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if he hung up his cleats in 2015. Plus, think back to 2010 when he got suspended, there were a ton of people wanting the steelers to cut bait with Ben. There were plenty of controversies, injuries, and public angst with Ben that could have ended his career many times. It was 2017 I believe when he made the threat to retire. I just don't believe that those QB picks didn't come with some expectation that the guy could succeed Ben. At a minimum, the FO had to be thinking about an insurance policy if Ben did something stupid. I'm just not buying it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Got their a$$es handed to them at Heinz Field by Bortles and Jaguars. Steelers sandbagged a lot of wins that year vs. backup QBs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    :puking2:
    that list is just:puking2:

No diamonds in the rust there.

7. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    YUP, we scored a lot of points that game too. just not more than the other team when it mattered most.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Jags were a good team that year, offense and defense. If they had Trevor Lawrence at QB... they would have won the Super Bowl. Bortles was definitely the weak link on that team.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I think that the pass Willis threw high through the goal post on his pro day sealed his fate.
    I saw enough of Kordell inaccuracy to not want to see that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    They assume he will become more accurate, but it's more likely he gets hurt if he continues to run so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You question Pickett for playing weak competition, yet you wanted Willis? You're funny.

What is elusive speed? There is speed and elusiveness. They are different things. You do realize that a big part of why Willis looked so good as a runner was that he was facing such low-level competition, right? No, you probably don't.

In reality, the difference in speed between Pickett and Willis is negligible, but that's not what really matters. What really matters is the quarterback's ability to move in the pocket, feel the rush and either buy more time or take off. I honestly don't think that is something that is easy to learn. I think players with a good pocket presence either have it or they don't. We saw this years ago with Kordell Stewart, a fantastic athlete with a horrible pocket presence. I honestly think that is Willis's upside, to be a player like Stewart. Pickett, on the other hand, excels at feeling and avoiding the rush. He is a dangerous passer under pressure.

Don't get me wrong. I am a huge fan of Linderbaum. Clearly, the Steelers were not. They didn't even go to the Iowa pro day. He was never going to be the pick. I disagree with them on that, but a strategy that passes on Willis is a very good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    True. Its really hard for kids to just all of the sudden become more accurate. Not many do it. I get that he is projecting into the future a couple years, but there is no guarantee. If we can get Tony Romo or Derek Carr out of Pickett (not saying that's his ultimate ceiling), we will be able to contend in the AFC North with all the other teams spending top dollar on their respective QB's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is exactly what I see with Willis, a Kordell Stewart, but slower and a lot less polished coming out of college.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

The thing is, MOST people are convinced Tribumski is going to beat out Rudolph Reindeer...not sure what film they're seeing, but they're convinced. I'm not so sure about that....Tribumski is a flat out bust, and I'm not positive he could start in the USFL or the CFL, to be honest.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Jags had a good team but also understood what they were much like Lamar Jackson's first year. The Jags knew Bortles wasn't going to suddenly become Brady, they played high percentage low risk ball and funneled everything through Fournette. He pounds it for 6 on 1st down, gets two more on second and Bortles either hit the back on a release for the first or the TE on a drag route for the lastv2 yards and then right back to pounding it. They let Bortles sling it down field once every 15 plays or so where if he makes it great if not, right back to ground and pound. They were giving the Pats a run for their money too before they got behind and weren't able to use what was working. Why they decided to change the following year is a mystery because it was working for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    They went for the comfort food instead of the exotic selection.
    They went for what can you do for me now instead of what can be.

Avoid bi polar reactions to one draft pick. One cannot say a pick is our ruin anymore than saying he’s our savior.

He’s capable, can pass on the move, and he’s fierce in the Red Zone (Very).
    Time will tell the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep seeing these takes that make it sound like the Steelers just weren't willing to be patient and that is why they took Pickett over Wilis. That just makes no sense. They signed Trubisky so they could be patient. What they chose is the better quarterback. Sure, he is more Greg Maddux than Joel Zumaya, but which of those guys would you rather have?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm:

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    why not? Trubisky is making backup money.

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Kordell was ahead of his time. He would have thrived in todays NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I have always wanted to know the answer to this.

Granted, I'm generally bad at projecting QBs so I'm generally never interested in them. The only QB I was ever confident will be good that became good was Kyler Murray. :)

But I like Pickett's highlights. Granted it looks like he has really good WRs. But damn, the boy throws it well.

22. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    You sound like you are describing Tom Brady :)

23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And still put 45 on Tomlins led D

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I remember the offense being part of the problem early. They came back to almost win.... but yeah. I distinctly remember some turnovers and 3 and outs helping the defense get scored on in bunches too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Depends. If he would have stayed as "Slash", yes. At QB, no way! I was down low at Riverfront Stadium his rookie year when he jumped up like a deer, caught the ball up high, split 2 Bungle defenders, and then jogged into the end zone like it was no big deal. If he would have stayed at WR, I think he could have been a HOFer, I'm serious. Instead, Korky insisted on being a QB...the rest was history. Sometimes, chasing one dream can end a better dream.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2022