1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Simms Top 5 QB’s

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Looks like Simms had the same reaction to Corral as I did. I was not expecting him to be that good when I got around to watching him. I still have Willis as my number one but everything else I agree with him about Corral.

He also adjusted this list a little by bumping Willis up over Pickett in a later video.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i too like corral. i wouldn't be at all disappointed if he was our pick. colbert likes them a little bigger though. :cool:

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I seriously can't believe anyone thinks any of these Guys are 1st round picks. If this was any other positions on the field, and they had this many questions marks ....nobody would take them in the 1st, but because they are Qbs....for some reason that is overlooked....:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

you can't just wait for the perfect player either. if you do most times you will be disappointed. it is the hardest position to draft and if they have any amount of upside they will be the first off the boards. drafting a qb is quite different then any other position. :cool:

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I can. There are a few of them that are worthy of first round picks. Just because there really isn't a prototypical pocket passer among them (Pickett is the closest), doesn't mean these guys don't have enough talent to be first round picks. Josh Rosen, Brandon Weeden, EJ freaking Manuel, JP Losman, Kyle Boller, Drew Lock, Paxton Lynch, Vince Young..... the list goes on. There are so many other QB's that had plenty of question marks about them, yet they still went in the first round. Heck Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson all had huge question marks too and they are among the best QB's in the league.

Willis has very little skill at the QB position, but he has a massive arm and great speed for the position. Someone will take him in the first round. Its a lot like the Vince Young effect. Vince had very little refinement, poor mechanics, couldn't read the defense, yet he was still drafted early bc he was such a good playmaker and had such a good arm that someone took him early.

Pickett, Corral, Ridder, and Howell all have had great success at their programs, have shown the ability to be accurate at the very least, are all plus athletes for the position in one shape or another, and all seem to possess a high knowledge of the game of football. They check a lot of boxes for what teams look for in first round QB's.

Just because they aren't the type of QB you want on your team, doesn't mean these guys are just bad QB's that have no shot at being very good in the league. Some have a better shot than others in my opinion, but I can see a scenario where all 5 of them can have first round value.

Guys get drafted for their potential all the time in this league (regardless of position). QB, OT, EDGE, and CB being the most likely positions to be drafted on potential.... but it happens all the time. Many of this year's QB crop have enough talent and potential to be selected in the first to be some team's potential franchise QB.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I seriously can’t believe anyone thinks there aren’t.

Willis
    Pickett
    Howell
    Corral

are all 1st rd worthy.

Now if you want to argue there aren’t any top 10 QB’s in this draft, that would be a better argument.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    You would think NFL coaches/ GM's would learn from this,... oh well its not their $$ they are wasting , right?

Willis has very little skill at the QB position, but he has a massive arm and great speed for the position. Someone will take him in the first round. Its a lot like the Vince Young effect. Vince had very little refinement, poor mechanics, couldn't read the defense, yet he was still drafted early bc he was such a good playmaker and had such a good arm that someone took him early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well when it hits, it hits hard. Guys like Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, etc. Heck, even Patrick Mahomes had some big question marks too. Big risk, big reward.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

They all could read defences and were more acurate , excluding Lanar,... willis just has " potential" hard pass

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well Josh Allen had a career 56.2% completion percentage in college, Mahomes 63.5%. I know Mahomes threw way more passes, therefore threw for more TD's and yards than the other two... but it doesn't really make Malik Willis' 62.8% career completion percentage look too bad. Lamar's was 57%, but he was drafted for his ability with his legs as well. When you run for 3,172 yards and 39 TD's in a major conference in your final two years and have a little something to work with for an arm... someone is going to bite on that.

Allen and Willis are very similar prospects in this regard. They both came from smaller schools, and will both be drafted based on their potential and their athletic abilities over their body of work as a "finished product" at QB. It worked out really well for the Bills and Allen (who I think moves into QB1 conversation in the whole league after Brady and Rodgers retire). That's not to say I think Willis is going to be as good as Allen. I have said many times before that I think Malik Willis is going to be a huge bust in this league, having a better shot at being out of the league before his first contract is up than he has at being a top 10 QB. I am hard passing on him just as much as you... But he is far from being the odd man out as the only "purely raw" player that has been drafted at QB recently.

• Like Like x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With all You said My friend You just made My point.
    Thank You:thumbs_up:

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You and I have a very different opinion of a 1st round pick.
    1st round picks are for guys You can just plug,and play....not guys that need time .....which is fine if You don't have positions that You could use that for.
    Also just because You don't draft them in the 1st round doesn't mean they don't work....just means You save a 1st round for a Guy that should be able 2 step in right now, and We have a few of those positions We could use.

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Not agreeing on this totally. Mahomes was traded up for and sat a year..and benefitted from it. Not saying any of these guys are Mahomes, but even Ben started on the bench and was only brought in because TM got injured. Other positions as well. It's not wrong to pick on potential even if he won't contribute immediately as a starter.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not for the QB position. There’s nothing wrong with giving a young QB the opportunity to sit and grow mentally for a year, or at least half a year, before throwing him out there. So many QBs get on the field too soon in bad situations and flame out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I haven`t watched much of Corral, until today. He has a lightning release OMG and laser accurate too. Gets better every year. I like him, but for some reason, I have been stuck on Willis and Ridder and that may be a mistake. Word is he was kind of immature early on, but nothing criminal.

Just looks so small. If he could add 10 lbs. in his ass and 5 up top I would feel better.

I`m going to go watch more highlights of him, right now.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, they really aren't. Willis really doesn't belong in the first round. There is way too much wrong with his game. He has a great arm and a quick release, but seriously, listen to Simms break him down. He's not even a runner on a level with guys like Allen and Jackson. He has a special arm, but we have no idea if he can really read a defense and make good decisions with the ball. He didn't really even show that against the crappy competition.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Winner.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That makes it sound like you want to surgically turn him into a Kardashian sister.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If this was the old days.....when You could get 2-3 years 2 develop, but its not. In the modern NFL.....You will either be good , or You won't. Those Guys that flamed out more than likely would have anyway. Nobody has 3 years anymore 2 get ready.
    You take Your lumps,and either get better, or crack, and fade into oblivion.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben played though, Peyton played, and even Lamar Jackson played....if We are not getting a Qb that is not a strong will, or as good as at least Lamar......We are screwed.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sounds like You are afraid 2 automatically see how good this Qb you think will be so great its, and Just because Mahomes sat means nothing. I can make a list of HOF that played their 1st year......So Winner 2 Me. LoL

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While Your at it ....find Me one big play He throws that His target is not at least 5 yards open....You know the kind of passes He will be looking at 2 throw in the NFL. I watched every game He's played.....I can't find one

23. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I`m stoned ! Can`t wait for Thursday. Geez I have to pee again.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Does it hurt turning yourself into a pretzel like that?

You said 1st rd picks have to start, they don’t as Vox pointed out.

Then you made a reach that must have hurt your shoulder by implying that I must want Willis to sit. Show me where I said that? I’ll help you out, I didn’t.

I’m still waiting for you to predict how many QB’s will be a bust out of this draft class. Should be easy with how much you bash them. Bawk bawk.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A much better argument is that there is no definitive form of "the guy" in this class. In 2021, Lawrence and Wilson were considered "the ones"; Lawrence being "the one above all" so to speak. Heck, even ones like Trey Lance and Justin Fields had more than enough potential to be in consideration for being "the ones". 2020 was essentially "Joe Burrow vs. Tua" and the "Justin Herbert Study" but it has become a bit clearer of who has performed better... though these three are still far from being finished overall.