1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was the bigger draft bust under Kevin Colbert?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 24, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I would go with Jarvis

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Man that's a tough call.

I will go with Artie. At least Jarvis got gradually better each year, and was somewhat serviceable at the end. Artie started out serviceable and then got worse each year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Artie. At least Jarvis was able to keep the starting job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I wouldn't go with either of them.
    You still got 50 games / 35 starts out of Jones, and 58 / 32 out of Burns.
    Disappointments yes, but I wouldn't put them at the level of busts. I'd reserve "bust" for someone like Kadarius Toney, who the Giants are trying to get rid of after one year.

My nominees would include 2nd and 3rd rounders, like Senquez Golson (IR, never saw regular season), Bruce Davis, Willie Reid, or Alonzo Jackson.

If it had to be a 1st rounder, I'd still put the blame for Burns on Tomlin instead of Colbert. Practically everyone said (during the draft) that Burns needed a redshirt year to fix his flaws, and that it would be a mistake for him to see playing time until he was ready. The team was in bad CB shape after Golson was hurt (yet again) in preseason, but they should have gone with even a bad vet instead of trashing any chances of Burns developing into a decent CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jarvis Jones

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:Agreed
    Jarvis is gone, and could never have gotten good. No matter what.
    A. Burns is still in the league.....I believe is our fault why He didn't progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Jarvis

Not as bad as Huey Richardson

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Alonzo Jackson

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Was A. Jackson under Colbert??? I can't remember, but I know it was with B. Cowher...., but He wasn't a 1st round pick. I thought this was just 1st round picks.:shrug:

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes. Jackson was drafted in 2003. Also no mention of a particular round in the original post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Jarvis for me personally. Artie actually showed some promise in his rookie season and had a rock solid first quarter of his 2017 debut being one of the lowest rated CBs against the pass. After week 4 of that year though... everything went off the rails.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Isn't Toney in the same boat as Minka was when the Dolphins tried to get rid of him after only 1 year? You wouldn't have called Minka a "bust" would you?

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Offense-Limas Sweed-WR (2nd Round)
    Defense-Senquez Goldson-CB (2nd round)

Wanted to choose something other than 1st rounders
    If you do 1st rounders
    Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Burns was worse than Jones. Had Jason Worilds not retired early.... Steelers never would've drafted Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree with the Worilds statement.

It's hard to choose who was more disappointing though. Burns at least showed promise early on that he could be good, but then mentally imploded. He at least played for the bears in 2021 and logged statistics. Jones never logged a statistic after leaving the Steelers, and really never showed any potential (never logging more than 2 sacks in a season).

They both sucked equally in my opinion. Either way, I hope we do better than these two bums with our next first round pick :)

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When you look back, only missing on 2 - 3 first round picks (even then, they both started games (my 3rd is Ziggy Hood)), is amazing. The list of first round picks that KC was a part of is just amazing. They weren't / aren't all all-pros, but names like Hampton, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes, Timmons, Pouncey, DeCastro, Shazier (what could have been), and Watt. The jury is still out on Harris (expect him to be good) and Bush. Edmonds we shall see. All in all, it's an impressive list.

Some teams can't seem to ever make the right pick.

Could rounds 2 and 3 be better? Sure, but there's a lot of players that made huge contributions from there as well.

As for the bigger bust, I'll say Jarvis. Wasn't he the reason Harrison went to the Bengals?

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Toney had one great game (Dallas), in which he managed to be ejected for fighting.
    His other 9 games ranged from unremarkable to invisible.
    He had multiple injuries, was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list twice, did not finish either of the Giants' two rookie minicamp practices due to a cleat issue and an injury, and he missed voluntary workouts because he had not signed his rookie contract.

Minkah was recognized as a good defender. In his rookie year, he played in 16 games, starting in 11, on the field for most of the defensive snaps, and contributed to special teams. Two interceptions, 80 combined tackles (51 solo).

I wouldn't put them in the same boat.
    I'm not sure why you would equate them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First, I can't believe they gave Jarvis Jones #95

Between him and Burns it's a tie.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Huge difference. Minkah was sold off for a draft pick by a tanking team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    upload_2022-4-25_16-31-32.jpeg

Sweeeeeeeed, Get Up Sweeeeed!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would go Bush... maybe he turns it around.. but when you trade up you brute get it right.... it looks like it was wrong

Jones had much higher expectations than Burns It is the reason we so hard on him. All the draft pundits thought Jarvis was the real deal

Everyone was in on Jones

No one was on Burns. He felt like a reach from day one.. felt like they panicked after the Bengals grabbed their guy

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, he was last years Pick #20

Way to early to call him a bust. I bet he absolutely hates New York City with 2 positive Covid tests.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  24. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Artie didn't mentally implode, his poor play was found out. I was beat up on here for saying how bad he was as some were saying DROY and pro bowl. He looked good in the beginning because the best QB he faced was Tyrod Taylor. Also by the half way point all the teams had tape on him which is when he started getting torched deep.

I believe he still holds the NFL record for most TDs allowed over 50 yards, 9 in a single season. So yeah, Artie was a bigger bust than Jarvis Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Biggest draft bust?
    Senquez Golson. He never played a down in the nfl. At least Jones and Burns played.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1