1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Steelers Weekly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Apr 21, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who remembers eagerly anticipating your Steelers Weekly every Friday and being disappointed if it were delayed?:frown new:

Who remembers calling the Steelers Weekly hotline and getting recorded updates on the Steelers from Bob Labriola?:yeehaw:

Who remembers calling 900-976-1313 just to get updates on the score of a Steelers pre-season game?:towel:

These young whipper snappers who have all of the information in the world at their fingertips and can access it instantaneously don’t know how good they have it!:nono:

And I walked to school uphill in the snow both ways! ;):lolol:

2BE03994-E6DD-4D5B-BFFE-A985BD6532DE.jpeg 8194022A-D295-4FB7-A985-C1BE85594055.jpeg EBC6FD06-0D27-4D76-9375-7A6DD84EEEE1.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Been there done that

I lived out of town during most of these years and commonly received it a a few days after Sunday but it was better than nothing

I bought my dad a subscription

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    BRB let me Google that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Who remembers the all star draft players team that got to face an NFL before the pre season?

Who remembers teams who had high draft picks; like the failclowns, cried it was unfair due to their drafted players got hurt. So they put a stop to it.

Who remembers that all star team beating green Bay coming off a super bowl winning season?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    UI22qzByJEsJj0OF2VPMwtQcA1EudS7mWudMynEJ37s.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021

While the concept seems far-fetched today, one of the premier events in the NFL’s early years was the Chicago College All-Star Game, in which the previous year’s champion played against a team of the nation’s best college players. Today, we’re looking back at the Packers’ eight appearances in the contest.
    The Green Bay Packers against a bunch of college players? Sounds crazy, right?

Not so much.

For 42 years, the NFL preseason kicked off with a matchup of the defending champions against a group of the best college players from around the country. The game itself was devised by noted Chicago Tribune sports editor Arch Ward, who was also the force behind the creation of the MLB All-Star Game.

Ward sought to create a similar contest in football to annually match up the best from both the professional and collegiate games at Chicago’s Soldier Field. After all, many in the 1930s argued college football was not only the better overall product, but also had better talent than the pro game. Ward’s thought was to put that to the test, while also raising money for Chicago-area charities (the game raised nearly $4 million in its four-plus decades of existence).

Spanning both the “Curly” Lambeau and Vince Lombardi eras, the Packers appeared in the game eight times – more than any other NFL team in that span. Green Bay won six of those contests, but also lost twice, joining Washington as the only pro teams to lose multiple games to the collegians.

1937: College All-Stars 6, Packers 0
    In the game’s fourth year of existence, the College All-Stars picked up their first win at the Packers’ expense. Late in the first quarter, TCU quarterback (and future Pro Football Hall of Famer) Sammy Baugh connected with LSU end Gaynell Tinsley on a 48-yard catch-and-run touchdown for the only score of the contest.

Green Bay outgained the collegians, 343-185, but were unable to find the endzone. The closest they got was in the second quarter when they got within the All-Stars’ five-yard line. However, Don Hutson was tackled three yards short of the goal line on fourth down to turn the ball over. Additionally, deep drives in the third and fourth quarter were both snuffed out by Baugh interceptions.

1940: Packers 45, College All-Stars 28
    The Packers gained a small measure of revenge three years later, outpacing the College All-Stars in a 45-28 victory in front of a then-record 84,567 fans. Backs Arnie Herber and Cecil Isbell combined for five passing touchdowns in the win, while Isbell capped the game with a rushing score.

Despite early collegian scores from USC’s Ambrose Schindler and UCLA’s Kenny Washington, the Packers took a 28-14 lead into halftime thanks to two receiving scores from Hutson, plus one each from Carl Mulleneaux and Andy Uram. Though the All-Stars got back within seven early in the third, Hutson’s third touchdown – a 29-yard catch-and-run – effectively put the game away.

The win gave the pros a 3-2-2 edge in the series, a lead they would never relinquish.

“Maybe this sounds funny for me to say, but I believe pro football, all of pro football, turned the corner in that game,” Lambeau said years later.

1945: Packers 19, College All-Stars 7
    Though far less offense was had than their contest five years prior, the Packers picked up another win over the College All-Stars with a 19-7 triumph in 1945.

Following a 20-yard field goal from Hutson in the first quarter, Green Bay benefitted from an All-Star faux pas. Washington State’s Robert Kennedy intercepted an Irv Comp pass in the endzone and ran out, only to head back and get tackled for a safety and a 5-0 Packer lead.

The Packers extended their lead with a Herman Rohrig-to-Roy McKay touchdown pass. Though the collegians pulled to within 12-7 before the half, Hutson’s fourth-quarter score put the game away.

1962: Packers 42, College All-Stars 20
    After 17 years, the Packers returned to the annual classic with a 42-20 win that was far tighter than the final score indicated. Thanks to three touchdowns from Kansas standout John Hadl, Green Bay led just 21-20 before three fourth-quarter touchdowns sealed the deal.

“He surprised up the way he moved around,” Lombardi said of Hadl after the game. “He showed great agility and poise.”

However, Bart Starr set a single-game record with five touchdown passes to go along with 13-of-22 passing for 255 yards. Boyd Dowler had three receiving touchdowns, while Max McGee added a pair in the fourth quarter to secure the win.

1963: College All-Stars 20, Packers 17
    Probably the most surprising result in the 42 years of the College All-Star Game came on Aug. 2, 1963, when the collegians topped the two-time defending champion Packers, 20-17.

Despite taking a 7-0 lead on the game’s opening drive following a Jim Taylor touchdown run, Green Bay was unable to get much offense going. Conversely, the All-Stars benefitted from the passing of Wisconsin’s Ron Vander Kelen and stiff defense to forge a 10-10 tie at halftime.

Trailing 13-10 in the fourth quarter, Jerry Kramer missed a 37-yard field goal. One play later, Vander Kelen hit former Badger teammate Pat Richter for a 73-yard touchdown to give the All-Stars a 20-10 edge. Taylor scored a second time with six seconds left, but it was too late to avoid the colossal upset.

“We used to have a social get-together after a night game,” Dowler said about the game years later. “Lombardi came in, and he looked visibly upset — like death warmed over. He wasn’t real kind when we got together for training camp again.”

1966: Packers 38, College All-Stars 0
    With the ’63 contest still somewhat fresh, the Packers delivered a 38-0 rout over the College All-Stars in the ’66 edition of the game, matching the series’ record for largest shutout.

Starr completed 13-of-22 passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns, while Taylor and Paul Hornung combined for 119 yards and two touchdowns. Additionally, Herb Adderley’s 34-yard pick-six highlighted a defensive effort in which the All-Stars failed to get past the Green Bay 45-yard line.

Also of note, heralded Packer draft picks Donny Anderson and Jim Grabowski combined for just 24 yards on seven carries.

1967: Packers 27, College All-Stars 0
    Green Bay made it two consecutive shutouts over the College All-Stars in ’67 with a 27-0 victory.

In just one half of action, Starr threw for 212 yards and two touchdowns. On the ground, Grabowski – corralled in the previous year’s game with the collegians – ran for a game-high 77 yards. After the game, he acknowledged he arrived in Chicago just hours prior to the game, as he was still on duty with his National Guard unit Friday due to racial tensions in Milwaukee.

Again, Green Bay’s defense stifled the All-Stars, holding them to 133 total yards on the day. Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier completed just one of his nine passes in the loss.

1968: Packers 34, College All-Stars 17
    The Packers claimed a 34-17 win in their final appearance in the game and the on-field debut of new head coach Phil Bengston. Starr connected with Carroll Dale for receiving touchdowns thrice in the contest, with the final connection putting the game out of reach in the fourth quarter.

The All-Stars did find success on offense this time, though. Syracuse back Larry Csonka ran for 95 of the collegians’ 206 rush yards on the day. Meanwhile, USC receiver Earl McCullouch scored a pair of touchdowns through the air.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Sorry @JackAttack 5958 hope I did not ruin your thread. And instead added to it with some old school history.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What was the relationship between Steelers Weekly and the Steelers Digest? I only remember the latter (and trying to work out if I could get it shipped to England)

10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Jack, you must of went to the same school as me, I also walked up hill in the snow both ways.:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My great uncle was a life long 49er fan... lived in San Jose...a season ticket holder right up to the day he died... he flew to Minneapolis to watch their first Super Bowl

My first NFL game was in Candlestick the year after they won it all...SF vs Raiders

For Xmas that year I started receiving 49ers weekly from him....I thought it was really cool.. but I wished the Steelers had one of these...... what's that? They do? ORDERED!!!!

Sorry Uncle... thank you for the niners hat.. but you will not be converting me today... it just felt dirty wearing another teams colors

HERE WE GO STEELERS

HACK

• Like Like x 5
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Laura Ingalls Wilder classmate

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I remember the 1976 college all-star game against the Steelers. The Steelers were beating the hell out of the college kids when a violent lightning storm hit around the beginning of the 4th quarter and the game was called then. That was the last of these games ever played.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Growing up in Virginia, I only got Steelers games on TV a few times per year and the playoffs (no cable back then) thus the periodicals were the only way to keep up with the team. I subscribed to Steelers Digest in the late 90's and early 2000's. Those could get depressing, "We almost pulled one out..."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    What a different time. Players now avoiding bowl games for fear of injury and costing them..pro.players as well. Cannot blame them. Hell players back then made decent money but still nothing like today. It was Halas who put players in as taxi drivers in the off season so they could make some bucks..thus the name taxi squad was started. More to it I'm sure but you get the gist.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I had my dad ship the subscription to our house throughout the 80s and 90s… loved em very much but lost every issue when his x wife raided our house when we were all at work say 97 I think… she took everything! Had it planned. The day she left our power was shut off… eviction notice on the front door etc… took an early advance for his vacation pay and my savings for my first house purchase (which obviously got delayed) to keep a roof over us. Long story short, losing those issues bothered me more as dumb as it sounds.

hahahahaha

• Like Like x 2
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    No worries…this thread is about nostalgia and that college all-star vs. the NFL team fits the bill. I remember that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I grew up in VA as well but in the southwestern part near the WV state line. The local WV station always played Steelers games so I was lucky in that regard.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I live near D.C. thus I get the WFT and the Ravens. Ugh.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Torturous! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dope cards

Love it! Up the hill both ways love it!

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You just dusted off a gray cell for me thanks

Now if you have time I have a few more that could use some help

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    South of Erie in a small town with no.cable at the time. Erie had to carry Bills games and Browns as back up. Talk about hell lol. When we got cable they carried 11 and 2 from the burgh. Daily burgh sports and occasional talk show specials during the season. This kid was in heaven lol. Sweet Bill Currie and Dam Nover baby

• Like Like x 2
  24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm 39. when I was an enrolled agent one of the falcons first DE drafted players was a lawyer down the hall. When he found out I liked old school football, we became good friends. I learned a lot of things I didn't know.

• Like Like x 2