1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 88Unstoppable82, Mar 21, 2022.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Laurent Duvarney-Tartiff would like to have a word with you.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can be taught 2 Be an NFL player as Easily as a Surgeon, but only great players make it , and only great ....highly talented Surgeons make the big time. It takes physical skills as well as brains 2 make a big time Surgeon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just like the speed for Hill would be there, but not the catching, or route running skills .....the True Surgeons Hand , Eye, and muscle control would also be there without being taught. Why do You think so many doctors don't cut it as Surgeons....not because of knowledge, but because they lack the natural physical skills.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Catching and route running are not God given talents. To a certain extent you may can somewhat count catching if you have hands like odell bekcham but you still have to learn to catch. That takes practice. Not something you're born with. Speed you're born with and again the doctors have to still learn how to perform the surgeries. Some doctors don't have the mental ability to be the one responsible for a person's life basically thus they get shakey hands when doing surgeries. It takes some fortitude to do that. That plays alot into one's steady hand. Their calmness. But my point is they don't day 1 perform those surgeries. The size, strength, speed, etc. Those guys have those before ever even seeing a football. And back to tyreek when he came in the nfl he couldn't really run routes and everything but why was he still drafted. His 40 time and speed.

When they pick surgeons they aren't picked for their physical abilities at the beginning. They go through school and everything for years and are trained in residency.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Post it; I don't believe that Troy never studied his opponents by watching game film to detect their tendencies.

Troy doesn't seem like the type of player to let someone else watch hours of game film and then tell him how to play on the field.

I would believe that Troy does not watch football now. Some guys when they retire from the game are just done with football and are ready to move on with something else..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Nope. Never stated that he didn't watch film of his upcoming opponent. He probably watched it more carefully than most. Troy said that he never watched a football game other than the ones he played in, that is very different. The Post Gazette had an article about this on 02/01/2006.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am one of the few Gen Z people that actually obsess about the truth!! :)

No need to worry here!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Every time I read the title of the OP my brain sees Tranny Mathieu

In the event he comes to Pittsburgh I will refrain from calling him this to his face

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately I feel it would take 3 to 4 years. Big guaranteed money i'm sure he wants. They could back load the contract and have an out but still would be on the hook for the guaranteed money. He would make an immediate impact that we haven't seen with the previous strong safety.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I should thank you for helping to make my point. By implying that Hill's performance is all about natural gifts, you helping to prove the point that pro football players don't have to have any real knowledge to succeed in the games. That is even more evidence that your mindless deference to all current and former players is foolish and perhaps a bit sad.

That said, your post also shows a stunning level of ignorance regarding football. Natural talent is not enough. Speed alone certainly isn't. If it was, Dri Archer wouldn't have been so useless and Dwight Stone might have been an All-Pro. Catching the ball properly is something you learn. Running routes is something you learn. Playbooks are things you learn. Fighting through defenders is something you learn. Timing with a quarterback is something you learn. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but there are many things an NFL wide receiver has to learn. That is why Hill improved after his first season. That is why even Jerry Rice wasn't a great player until his second season.

The point about surgeons, which sailed over your head, is that they do have natural gifts. You can't teach just anybody to be a surgeon. There are many jobs outside of sports that call on natural gifts. You are young. It is okay to be ignorant at your age, but you actually seem to be proud of it. That's not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, evaluating the intellectual potential of young people is part of my job. I understand very quickly when I am dealing with someone with significant mental liabilities.

Physical gifts are the predominant reason those guys are in the NFL. You made that point yourself with the post about Tyreek Hill. You really should do a better job keeping your arguments straight. You keep contradicting yourself.

By the way, if you don't think there are college players who understood the game better but lost out on playing in the NFL because some other guy was faster or stronger, you are even more clueless than I had previously realized.

Part of the reason you are failing so miserably is that you are bad at this. Hell, part of what I teach is rhetoric (look it up). I understand persuasive language, clear claims, logic, logical fallacies, supporting evidence, and counterclaims. You don't. I don't say that because I'm a teacher. I say that because I see what you write on this site and find you wanting. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Even football players have weaknesses. I know that is blasphemy to you.

Actually, no, it isn't the same as being in a fox hole. That is a terrible analogy if for no other reason than fighting for one's life puts an entirely different spin on a thought process.

Also, I haven't spent nearly 50 years watching Marines in fox holes, interviewing them to learn every detail of what they do in a fox hole, or watching and reading the analysis by others of their skills in said fox holes. I have done all of that and more when it comes to football. With the exception of the interviews, so have many of the posters here.

Seriously, it's okay to stop worshipping every man who plays in the NFL and every former player. It's okay to accept that even though you claim to play football, you don't know the sports as well as most of the people here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why are you implying that Beckham's hands are something that is just natural? The guy probably worked his ass off to develop his skill at catching a ball.

The funny part is how you keep ignoring intelligence as a natural gift. You don't even get into medical school without it. I wonder why it is that you don't respect intelligence. Actually, no, I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Thats why I said most of them. Go read all their tweets not the prepared statements that have their name on the bottom.

15. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You choose to pick the stupid ones, because they are stupid enough to tweet. We had a third string quarterback who is literally a rocket scientist. They don't tweet.

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s a Saint.

Going Home makes sense.

Edit:
    I wonder if someone jumps in last minute and steals him before he actually signs.

Saints are expected to sign him, but stranger things have happened before.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I see Tyrant

• Like Like x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Thank dog! There are two reasons I think he’s damaged goods. One the chiefs let him walk. They know him better than anyone. If they believed he was worth the money they would have retained him. Or at least attempted to re- sign. The second reason is he made it this long into free agency. Every team out there has looked at him and passed until now. Or it could be as simple as agent overvalued him. There is always a reason a team let’s someone walk in free agency. Sometimes it’s money while others it’s injury issues or a decline in skill set. My guess in this instance it’s the latter.

Mon a related topic I read somewhere that juju’s knee is the reason behind the one year contracts. Apparently he’s been having it drained every Friday before games for two seasons. Refuses to have surgery to clear up the issue.

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    most likely came down to money, I'm sure they could have structured a deal that fit..... but we really didn't have enough cap space to sign him. Glad he's moved on, I never really liked him anyway.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    33 million / 3 years 17 mill guaranteed. This is why Steelers did not pursue. Can' sign everybody you would like. Minka's contract will dwarf this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm glad the Steelers didn't offer him that much.

• Agree Agree x 3