1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Next year's offense and offensive personel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I bring this up because of the clamoring for a WR as a need.

Outside of poor offense, how often do you see us running 1 RB 1 TE and 3 WR?

Based on my own thoughts, I see this team running more 2 TE and 2 RB ( FB included) then we have seen since Dan Krieder.

I feel we want a QB under center and running, wait for it, play action.

Modern game this means more than just an I formation but I bet we see the the PA do from 10% to 35-40%

To me this means we can wait on a WR. We have 2 and this year is going to be UGLY. Personally I am stoked on how gross each W will be. I'm thinking Steelers dolphins punt stuck in the mid ugly.

Call me old but I'd rather have a team be upset they can't move the ball. I'm looking forward to our 17-14 games.

I'd rather go D in the first and 3rd.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm with You on D in the 1st 3 picks. :thumbs_up:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You still need to spread the field. Not against d in 1st and 3rd, depth in draft for WR the year is very good. That said if an exceptional WR is there and drops, is the BPA then go for it. You can go PA all day long, but if your receivers do not command respect and spread the field we will effectively have the same passing game we have had the laT 2 years.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This should be our Base offense this year.

No offense to Gentry or Watt, but they are not playmakers. As much as I want the Steelers to run the I formation next year when we are at the goal line, I don't want to see it at 1st and 10 from our 25.

This year we do not have that 1-2 punch at tight end that we have always had. Or, always at least tried to have. I would not be surprised to see the Steelers give up a 2023 4th round pick to take a TE in the 5th round this year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I doubt we will go back to a 3yds and a cloud of dust offense, but I do think it will look significantly different. More snaps from under center. More play action, more rpo… with that being said we are very thin at wr. If claypool or Johnson go down we are pretty much screwed. I would like to see them go for someone like Kalil Shakir to play slot receiver in the 3rd or 4th round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I am all for Defense first three rounds. I am tired of drafting WR’s every other year. I would love to see more two TE sets or a Fullback. That kind of offense compliments a defense better anyway. While every other team is going small and fast on defense we do the opposite with a power run game. Not a lot of teams are built to stop the run these days. We do still need some WR help but I believe a speedy WR can be had in the middle to later rounds. Would love to see the following in the first three rounds:
    1. Davis DT Georgia
    2. Pitre SS Baylor
    3. Chenal MLB Wisconsin

Next year we will have close to 60 million in cap space. If we fix the run game and make the defense elite this year that 60 million next year can go towards a Franchise QB and elite WR. Honestly though I would rather spend the money on a free agent Tackle and draft a WR. Wr’s can usually be had in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Would franchise qb will be available next yr?

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m still waiting for someone to define “franchise quarterback”

9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The way Players force trades today I’m confident there would be a pretty good QB available via trade or move up in the draft. The draft is supposed to be stronger next year for QB’s.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    A qb a team can build around as the centerpiece

• Like Like x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They'd for one have to have a high pick or give up years of draft compensation to move up for one the top guys if they don't completely suck this yr. Secondly of all the qbs I don't forsee anyone forcing their way out with he way things are going except maybe Kyler.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    If they load up this year on defense and build a solid run game they can mortgage a bit of their future from a draft perspective to move up for a QB. Any other positions they need to fill they could fill through free agency next year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That sounds kind of generic

Are all 32 starters on opening day counted

Each team thinks so that day

Top 10 decided by whom

Where is the cutoff point

When you draft a QB say in the first round isn’t he by definition that teams franchise QB even though many fail

I’m just thinking it’s a nebulous phrase

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hey now… this isn’t the CFL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    32 teams. :whistley:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ahh…

• Like Like x 2
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And that's with the hope that the team they want to trade with doesn't need a qb. Atlanta, Detroit, texans, jets(possibly), giants, etc.. all likely will be vying for the top draft picks for qbs and idk if any of them will be willing to trade. Probably would have to massively overpay. Only easy they get lucky is if Jacksonville gets another top pick. They won't move off Lawrence just yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No. You think the falcons just signed Mariota thinking hes the franchise qb? So it's not that every team thinks it day 1. I'm sure the steelers don't view trubisky as such as well. Its usually determined by several things, the guys ability to win games consistently, make the playoffs consistently, can he be surrounded by not the best talent and still produce, pro bowler, all pro, etc.. and of course the eye test plays a factor but that's subjective. Also by the franchise's investment in said player. There's a reason the bills have already given Josh Allen an extension years ago and baker never got one despite being in the same draft.

And a first round qb is selected to be a teams franchise qb but he of course has to prove that he is.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ain't that the truth. The issue as well is Claypool's growth as a player. It's concerning. The only other receiver with very minimal time on Offense is Cody White on the active roster.

They need as you stated to grab a receiver or two in the draft. They will wait till after the draft and possible camp cuts to add a vet i'm sure.

It is a concern.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m more concerned with this year’s offense.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

anthony miller has started 18 games in the nfl. gunner olszewski has started 2 but played in a few. steven simms has started 4 but also has played in many. cody white as you said has played in some. ricco busey was a guy last year that showed some upside. tyler vaughns is also still on the roster. he was from USC and had a nice college career. both have a full year of learning under his belt.

i know i listed these names of camp fodder just so i can say i was right. to bad we have some guys with nfl experience sitting here and the steelers have kept them around for some reason besides just filling out the preseson roster. yea, so was ray ray that ended up playing pretty well for them last year over a draft pick. we lost 3, we need to probably add at least one to go along with the use of any of these guys. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes obviously there are never any guarantees in the draft.... But I would rather have an elite defense and run game similar to the Titans; and The Patriots are actually built similarly, than risk over drafting a QB this year and miss out on building an elite defense and run game. I believe that Mitch Trubiscky can be as good as Tannehill or Jones until we find a franchise QB. Why not go the safe route and build a dominant team that may attract a free agent franchise QB or at least remain competitive until we get a franchise qb. If the team is set in all of the positions except for QB it is a lot easier to mortgage the future and move up in a draft rather than draft and develop a QB. Unless they see one of these QB’s as a Josh Allen type with so much upside they are willing to take the risk and develop him. The problem is I don’t see any of the QB’s in this draft having a higher ceiling than Mitch Trubisky does (except for maybe Willis and he won’t be there when we pick), so what is the point of drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats a really good question. The general rule is the scouts rate them on the type of throws they can make, their release, their footwork, their accuracy, their ability to read the field, the record in college and their level of experience. The biggest factor which is always hard to evaluate is their heart and their intangibles. There are many QB’s in the NFL who are more talented than Brady but they don’t have his heart, work ethic or ability to read the field. Joe Montana was the same way. He didn’t throw a tight spiral, he didn’t have a strong arm, he was built like a punter but yet he had the intangibles. My concern with the Steelers is the timing in all of this. They have so many other holes to fill they should go for a more sure draft pick rather than reach on a QB. I understand when a bad team drafts a potential franchise QB like Trevor Lawrence because even though they have other holes they are in a position to draft high where they can draft a more sure QB talent. There isn’t that type of talent at QB this year in the draft so why potentially miss out on more sure draft picks where you have noted holes to fill by reaching for a QB. I believe strongly the book is till open on Trubiscky. So many of these QB’s get drafted high and go to really bad teams or coaches and don’t have success in the NFL. Look at Lawrence who is an all world talent and considered the surest thing since Andrew Luck. Lawrence looked relatively mediocre last year. I would much rather have an elite team and actually see what we have in Trubiscky before risking draft capital in what is considered to be relatively poor QB draft class by the experts. Either wait for the sure thing or at least pull desperate moves with draft capital in the future when your team is more solid. The other thing nobody talks about is coaching. You look at some of the best QB’s over the years and they had a fantastic coach and they played within the system. I highly doubt Brady would have ever developed into the QB he is today if he played for most other franchises. You could say the same about Montana, Favre, Rogers. They all played in great systems with outstanding coaching. Perhaps they would have ended up like Trubiscky or other journeyman QB’s without the coaching and the system. If Mac Jones has the work ethic that Brady did and the aptitude to read defenses and see the field then he could become just like Brady with Bellicheks coaching. In saying all of this I am not confident that the Steelers have the structure or coaching to develop a QB. I do believe in our ability to develop an elite defense under Tomlin because it has been proven. The book is still out on his ability to develop an elite run offense. With that being said for this team at this time with this coaching staff my hope is we continue to build on our strengths and that is defense. Once the defense is sured up then we can take risks in the draft or free agency. Again its all about timing and to me now is not the time to reach for a QB. To me all of these QB’s are a reach in the first round this year. Willis might be a good calculated risk with his upside for a team that is set like the Titans but a team like the Steelers isn’t in a position to take that kind of risk with all of our other holes. Think about it. You move up to take Willis and you basically killed your opportunity to get probably three solid starters elsewhere because you have to give up draft capital this year and next year. Even staying put and drafting Ridder can cause you to miss out on a solid starter this year on defense or offense. Not to mention you now have to go back in two years and draft another QB. If the team is elite already there is significantly less risk in drafting a QB or giving up capital for one because you don’t have other holes you need to fill on the team so essentially if you miss on the QB your team is still solid and competitive albeit you waste a year of everyones time on the roster because they now have aged a year without having the Franchise QB on the team. Basically what I am saying is I hope we don’t draft QB this year unless we feel they are the sure thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1