1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft weary!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Apr 16, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who else is draft weary and just ready for it to be over? I love the draft, but when mock drafts for next year are already out before the current year’s draft, that’s just too much! I’m tired of all of the speculation about the Steelers pick and REALLY sick and tired of these idiotic experts who have the Steelers sacrificing valuable draft capital to trade up for a quarterback in a mediocre at best quarterback class! I dreamed we traded up to the second spot and drafted an offensive linemen for crying out loud!

like I said, I love the draft and I’ve always considered myself somewhat of a draftnik and couldn’t get enough of it when I was growing up. I remember eagerly awaiting the magazines that came out a couple of months prior to the draft which had the first mock drafts in them. I remember skipping school to watch the draft on ESPN in the 80s on a random Tuesday morning. I remember having to call our local southern gospel radio station to see if anything had come across their wire about who the Steelers first round draft pick was that year. It was John Rienstra, by the way. Remember him? Yeah, most people don’t.

At any rate, the draft used to be fun and exciting but now it’s just become overkill with a bunch of draft “experts” who don’t have a clue! Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be watching this year like I do most every year and eagerly anticipating the Steelers pick, but enough already!

Do you guys have any draft memories you’d like to share, especially from the 70s and 80s for those who experienced them before the draft became so overexposed?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    end the madness jack, just listen to me and it will save you all this sorrow. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Headline in the sports section January 29, 1969:

Joe Who?

• Like Like x 3
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    from where? :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

jeh at the 1933 draft of the pittsburgh steelers. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Worst advice ever :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But I did look good

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was great :thumbs_up: LoL

9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    True Jack
    Like most things this day of age. I see 4th of July things and i'm scared i might put them in an Easter basket!!
    Hell , there's a LOOK AT ME THREAD that keeps going more than the Ebunny.
    I still can't wait for the draft. It's just like Christmas morning. Best part, i don't pay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The NFL Draft is my favorite " sporting event " there is! My Buddies laugh at me...My one Brother comes over, I get my man cave all ready, and we have our books to cross reference... We eat and drink like Vikings lol...

Thursday Night, Friday night, all day Saturday! My ole lady will come out Saturday about 5:00...Hours into it and just shake her head and say " you guys are nuts "

But then we usually have date night Saturday night..After those 3 hours and all those hours with my " repeating himself " Brother... I've had enough!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sounds great :thumbs_up:

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not a big draft guy but when they drafted Ben I was excited and when they drafted Najee it got my attention. Still think Najee has a huge 2022 which makes Trub so much better.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DuckSux

DuckSux Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    Oh my God get a girl friend or a doll!!! Go online the Monday after the draft and see who they picked. Who watches 4 days of college dudes getting their names called out!!

Attached Files:

14. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    There's not a single draft expert I consider a draft expert. Kipper was good, but still not an expert. And everyone else was no different someone flipping burgers at McDonald's.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually will do this

I’m going camping where there is no communication from Thursday to Monday

Im envisioning your way being just fine

Of course there will be 7 OPs here with about 136 pages of great pick lousy pick thoughts

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently a lot of people or it wouldn’t be on national TV

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I also used to buy the magazines when they came out b4 the draft. .I also bought the ones that had all the players in the draft with their "Draft grades" and which round a certain player should go in ..I used to look up the "said player" The Steelers drafted an see if we picked him in the rounds they said he should be drafted in .... most the times it seemed the Steelers was picking a player to early according to the magazine ...lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You don’t need magazines to tell you that

184 experts on this site who read those or the internet equivalent will tell you immediately after the pick

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Your so cool. :thumbs_up:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    30 threads with 1,000 pages if we trade up for a QB in the 1st round.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It was a major sporting event the year they had it in Philadelphia. All 3 major Philly networks went crazy over it. City was mobbed!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I remember the 1969 draft when I listened to the AM radio station out of Butler to hear if our hometown hero Terry Hanratty would be drafted. I was shocked when the Steelers picked a total unknown by the name of Joe Greene with the 4th overall pick but was thrilled when they took Hanratty in the second round.
    Chuck Noll's first draft was a pretty good one taking Greene, Jon Kolb and LC Greenwood. Also signed as a free agent LB from Youngstown State was Ed O'Neil who later became the world's most famous shoe salesman.

• Like Like x 4
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Keep trying to upload my mock draft to the site!! Not working thus far though that could be on my end!! All this said, I am personally ready.

Between me and the other Veteran Members of the site... I think I am done with QB scouting for a while. Too much time I put in this class and easily surpasses any class I have ever done; 2018 included. Truth be told.... outside of Willis and maybe Corral.. I honestly do not believe the team is as interested at the other QBs as they have let on. Kevin Colbert has specifically stated that accuracy and mobility are two high quality attributes that the team shall look for in the class; not to confuse mobility with elite running ability.

Given that fact... looking at those set of optics... Corral and Howell would be the best bets. However, betting on Malik is more so based on what he could be as opposed to what he is currently. Should Willis be the pick... Mike Sullivan and Malik Willis better become the best of friends.. and quickly. Not saying Willis' character and intangibles should be questioned (his are the best in the class bar none) but how much of a quick study is something that will be monitored for certain.

Truth be told.... I am with @S.T.D and just draft Daxton Hill and be done with it. Hill's aggression and playmaking smarts are only matched by his versatility and blitzing capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I agree this is my favorite sports event of the year. I watch every pick in every round even up to Mr. Irrelevant. And no I don't need a girlfriend. I've been married to the same woman since 1977.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I watch it Myself. Beginning 2 end. As far as Women....Well just look at My name. LoL I've had 2 many, or maybe not enough.:shrug: I can think of 4 of My ex old ladys that have also watch the draft with Me.
    I guess We can't all be as cool as some people :shrug: